Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come we dont have a sticky for this bad boy? I'd love to hear about it from anyone who's done it. Pictures, ect ect..

2jz block + 1jz head = good :) Direct fit!

If the 1jz head is supposed to be better then the 2jz head, what is the point of a 2jz swap, when the 1.5jz would cost alot less, and at the same time be easier to do?

I dont think many people know about this, and I'd like alot more info...

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
450hp_Supra_MKIII said:
it's been done..
the name is ORIN...;)
I know that, there is a very small thread about it on Supramania, but I'd just like some more info and feedback, perhaps some nice pictures.

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
Yep... Orin is your source.

However there's not much to tell... take out the block... put in the 2J one... bolt everything back up... done. (needs a different timing belt and you have to adjust your fuel maps for the extra .5L of displacement)

When Orin swapped (this is from memory) the difference in rwHP was from 560 to 590... not that big.. BUT... there was something like an extra 100 ft/lbs of torque. (those number are probably wrong... but it's a general idea... the increase in torque was something like 3x the increase in HP) You'll also get quicker spool up on the turbos.

The 1J head being better... eh... no one has proved it... or disproved it. But I'm very skeptical... I doubt it's much worse but I also doubt it's much better either. Toyota seldom redesigns something worse than before... especially if it has to flow for a larger block.

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
Pictures look just like a 1J... except the deck height is a few MM higher. If they didn't tell you it was a 1.5J you could never tell.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
So the displacement remains at 3.0L? or is it slightly increased?

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
Swapping the 2J short block in for the 1J one takes you from 2.5L to 3.0L... and it's essentially a bolt up solution. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
With an increase off .5L, What ECU would be needed to run it?

would the 1JZ ECU handle? or would it be a need of 2JZ ECU?

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
I don't think I'd want to use a stock 1J ecu... but who knows... maybe it would learn.. ?

Myself I'd just say you would compensate in your fuel management system... whatever it is you prefer to use.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
The 1J head being better... eh... no one has proved it... or disproved it. But I'm very skeptical... I doubt it's much worse but I also doubt it's much better either. Toyota seldom redesigns something worse than before... especially if it has to flow for a larger block.
Insert "Yamaha" in place of "Toyota" in regards to changes in head design. :D

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Boostedstr8six said:
Insert "Yamaha" in place of "Toyota" in regards to changes in head design. :D
I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

G

·
yea, i've always wondered about this...

would all i need is a 2j block... or would i need 2j block/crank/pistons etc (sorry i'm not very good when it comes to engine internals)

·
Banned
540 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong here but isn't this swap only usefull if you had a JZA70 supra, then you blew the engine or just felt like gaining 1/2L? The point of the swap being a 2JZ shortblock is something like $2K new and used ones being readily available and cheap, so you get a new engine and 0.5L more displacement for that money. You keep the old head and put it on the shortblock, keep the 1JZ ECU and sensors and tune that. This is just what i've heard from some Aussies on other forums. If all this is true then it'd be pointless if you didn't already have a 1JZ lying around, or you cracked the head on your 2JZ and can source a cheaper 1JZ head. Again just some observations, it'd be nice if somebody could set this straight. :)

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
Yep... you pretty much nailed it.

It's a pricey way to get more torque... or to replace the bottom end on a 1J if you kill it.

Also if you really wanted a fully built motor, it would probably be cheaper to build a 2J bottom than a 1J one. Most 1J stuff (like aftermarket rods, etc...) isn't very common. In the end you could probably build a 2J shortblock for a similar amount.

(ok... 6 posts by me in one thread is nuts... I'll shut up ;) )

·
1000whp envy
1,590 Posts
heres a question, why is the 1j head beter then the 2jz?

the 2jzgte head is about 3mm bigger in port size on th exhaust. thats why the manifolds wont fit. also the reason the jp ppl do it is cause its cheaper to buy a 2jz block then to buy a 1jz block thats is the main difference. why not just go 2jzgte and benifit form the whole 3.0l?????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts