Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1poke:

Porsche’s upcoming Panamera sedan is one of the most anticipated cars in the marque’s history, and although its debut is still a couple of years away, several near-production prototypes have already been spotted by spy photographers on numerous occasions. Final specifications for the Porsche four-door will be released closer to the car’s launch at the 2009 Frankfurt show, but a recent report from AutoWeek has outlined many of the crucial details surrounding the Panamera.

Design work is being handled by former Saab man Michael Mauer, but like all Porsches, the Panamera will feature the brand’s iconic shape and headlight design. Measuring in at close to 16 feet in length, the Panamera will provide ample legroom for its four passengers and with a turbocharged V8 engine under the hood it should easily fly past the 180mph mark. Other derivatives that will likely make it to production include a high-performance hybrid version with a V6 engine as well as a rumored V10 flagship.

Like the rest of Porsche’s range, the Panamera picks up conventional unibody construction for its internal structure but reports suggest designers are also employing aluminum to save weight. To speed production and save costs, much of the car’s drivetrain is being lifted directly from its Cayenne sibling. However, the rest of the Panamera’s mechanicals, including the double wishbones and multilink suspension systems, are said to be unique.

A hatchback-style boot lid provides ample storage space but a tradeoff of the design is aerodynamic lift, something that forced developers to add a Veyron-style rear spoiler. This is essential as performance is expected to be scintillating. Both RWD and AWD versions will be offered, with the latter picking up a modified Haldex-style multiplate clutch from the 911 Turbo. The Panamera will initially be offered with a 4.8L engine derived from the unit in the facelifted Cayenne, an engine that features direct-injection and cylinder-deactivation technology. Power figures will start at around 400hp, rising to close to 520hp for the Turbo version.

Following the release of the V8 models, Porsche will deliver a base model V6 running a 3.6L unit sourced from Volkswagen. This same engine will eventually make its way into a hybrid version, the first ever such engine for the sports brand.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Orly? It's safe to say that that rendering is ugly as sin. The shape of the greenhouse, the rear end including the spoiler and the quad-tip exhaust are reminiscent of the 1997-03 Pontiac Grand Prix sedan.

I sincerely hope that Porsche improves the look of this thing before it comes out. It would be a shame to see one of my favorite car manufacturers release something (else) so damn ugly.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
So true about the 997. Porsche styling has become virtually an oxymoron, IMO. Fortunately, it corrected its 996 issues with the 997 by harkening back to the 993. Both the Cayman and the Boxster are 911 styling derivatives and really do nothing to add to, and expand, the marque's design language.

Increasingly, I believe Porsche has lost it way when it comes to styling, as evidenced by the Cayenne and the Panamera. Like Jaguar, it has proven incapable of breaking out of the box it has created for itself. That car, like the Cayenne, will be for those that have to have a Porsche no matter what. By slapping on Porsche-identity end caps on wildly varying vehicles (sports cars, SUVs and now this) makes some of the results almost comedic. True, all of its vehicles should be instantly recognizable as Porsches, but there has got to be a better way...

Ken.

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
^^^ I agree about the syling, but isn't this pretty true of many companies from Dodge to BMW, that most of their vehicles will share a similar headlight and bumper configuration. Foremost, I would have to say I feel an overall disapointment that Porsche ever even considered building vehicles outside of their sportscar lineup.

·
4,109 Posts
Now I know where the Pontiac Aztek designers got new jobs

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Needs a bit more truck deck to qualify as "sedan" like. "Suicide" style back doors would've been slicker for this type of ride. Zillion engine choices underscores what Germans do best regarding integration of so many different engines and almost all come out to be well balanced. It will still likely be an eye-catcher in person and I won't doubt tons will be seen in and around L.A.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
It just looks like it's going to be heavy, especially with a TT V8 and AWD. If that model comes in under 3800lbs, I'll be shocked. I'm expecting closer to 2 tons.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Well, despite their questionable products introduced in the last few years (Cayenne being the most questionable I'd say), Porsche is more profitable than ever, and their marketing hype seems to get better and better.

I'm sure the Panamera will not be a disappointment overall, and since Porsche really is an "enthusiast" driven company, it gives them more revenue to introduce new models and continue to race their products...something that they have done throughout their history. I'd much rather see a company like Porsche diversify and succeed than many others out there...despite some questionable cars delivered along the way. They want to be more mainstream, but as long as they don't give up on their core competencies I'd say it's probably a good thing! :)

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
Well, despite their questionable products introduced in the last few years (Cayenne being the most questionable I'd say), Porsche is more profitable than ever, and their marketing hype seems to get better and better.

I'm sure the Panamera will not be a disappointment overall, and since Porsche really is an "enthusiast" driven company, it gives them more revenue to introduce new models and continue to race their products...something that they have done throughout their history. I'd much rather see a company like Porsche diversify and succeed than many others out there...despite some questionable cars delivered along the way. They want to be more mainstream, but as long as they don't give up on their core competencies I'd say it's probably a good thing! :)
Agreed!

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
What a aweful looking car. Someone at the Porsche design center has been playing with the stretching tool in Photoshop when they thought up of this thing. The sad part about it is that it is going to sell like crazy since it has the Porsche nameplate on it. :rolleyes: The yuppies will be all over this car like stink on shit.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
^^^ I agree about the syling, but isn't this pretty true of many companies from Dodge to BMW, that most of their vehicles will share a similar headlight and bumper configuration. Foremost, I would have to say I feel an overall disapointment that Porsche ever even considered building vehicles outside of their sportscar lineup.
You are correct. Many companies do this. BMW and Dodge as you said, plus Audi, Mercedes, Lexus with L-Finesse and Aston Martin to name a few more. The problem is, they all do it better than Porsche. Like Steve Theodore said, Porsche is more profitable than ever, but it is not immune to market forces. No matter how much panache a marque may have, you cannot produce ugly vehicles and get away with it for too long. CGT, Cayenne and now the Panamera have all been less than stellar efforts so, while profitable, it's too small to make too many serious mistakes and survive as an independent.

Ken.

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
porsche needs to stop catering to people who want to lug their families around. You want a people carrier buy a damn minivan.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts