Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first video tours of the 4-cylinder Supra, only sold in Japan for now. Some old school gems make up the first 7-minutes and after the MKV is shown.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just when you thought that the Zupr4 couldn't get any shittier....

When you want your legacy car to be eviscerated and then reincarnated as a neutered BRZ, Tada does not disappoint.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess sales data shows good enough numbers for them, that the current buyer demographic has a different mindset.

·
supra7
520 Posts
Wonder what driveline it has in it , Engine, trans , diff and if its Toyota or bmw?

·
Blue Thunder
3,489 Posts
Wonder what driveline it has in it , Engine, trans , diff and if its Toyota or bmw?
Guess what ??? It's still ALL BMW..d'uh !!! LOL
Same engine (B48) as in the Z4 30i.

·
supra7
520 Posts
😒 wonderful

·
...pop the hood!
859 Posts
wonder if it has a "sport"?

also, does it use the same tranny?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wonder if it has a "sport"?

also, does it use the same tranny?
I remember seeing this mentioned a while ago on the shared transmission between both versions:

"Judging by this internal document, both variants of the Supra will use the ZF-8HP51HIS 8-speed automatic transmission, which is not surprising, as that transmission is found behind the B48 and B58 engines in many BMW products. The document also lists the new BMW Z4, which shares a platform with the Supra but gets its own platform designation, G29. "

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now it looks like a U.S. Spec four-cylinder Supra is a matter of when:

U.S.-Market Toyota Supra Four-Cylinder Announcement Likely Imminent
American MkV Supra buyers should soon have a four-banger option

2020 Toyota GR Supra front three quarter in motion 2

We all know the new Toyota Supra. Few questions remain about its performance, how it came to be, and who builds it (BMW). There is, however, one nagging piece of the Supra puzzle that remains incomplete, and that's the confirmation of the Supra coming with something other than a straight-six engine. The four-cylinder Supra already exists in other markets, and we wanted to know if the "baby" Supra could be headed to the U.S. in the near future.

We recently spoke with Ed Laukes, Toyota's group vice president of marketing, at the 2020 Chicago auto show where we asked him if the four-cylinder option would make its way here—we were told to stay tuned until next week. Next week, as many NASCAR fans certainly know, is the Daytona 500. Toyota manufactures seven of the 43 cars entered in next Sunday's race, and we believe Toyota will use the race weekend as an opportunity to announce the arrival of the four-cylinder Supra to the U.S. market.
2020 Toyota GR Supra Pace Car 01
2020 Toyota GR Supra Pace Car 01

SEE ALL 32 PHOTOS
A recent California Air Resources Board filling shows that a 2.0 liter, I-4 powered Supra has been certified for sale in California, along with the BMW models that share its engine. If an engine has been emissions-certified in California, a state with some of the strictest emissions regulations in the country, it's likely that the same engine can be sold anywhere in the United States. We've postulated for a while that the entry-level Supra could be coming, but now it appears we'll hear the news very soon.
As a refresher, the four-cylinder is already available in Japan—and in two states of tune. The base version of the 2.0-liter four-banger makes 194 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque, and the more powerful variant offers 225 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. For a little perspective, the BMW Z4 s30i—also offered with a 2.0-liter four cylinder—develops 255 horses and 295 lb-ft. It's almost certain we'll only get the more powerful version, possibly with even more grunt.

So is Toyota going to make a four-cylinder announcement next week at Daytona? Laukes said he would be in Florida for the race, and we think the chances are high. Now we wait to find out.

Source: MotorTrend

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Aren't the BRZ/FT86 sales tanking? Why would Toyota do this? I understand Subaru used a lot of parts from NOS in their warehouses on the BRZ, so it didn't cost them a lot to produce it (think Neon SRT). Is BMW just doing the same thing, while taking advantage of the Supra name? Feels like Toyota is just leasing the name to them at no real monetary risk to themselves other than reputation.

·
iSPOOL
1,181 Posts
Seems like low sales are making them desperate...another recovery attempt to spin the narrative of the Zupra.
Like I've said if a younger demographic is their audience, the car is much too expensive. Well see what this is priced at. Not much lower I suspect.

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
Dont worry PerformanceSound will rescue us...any day now.

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Gag me. Four-cylinder MKV (I can never refer to this car as a Supra). As if invading Mustang and Camaro territory wasn't enough. Let's have some in-house cannibalization (2nd gen 86) coupled with more down market madness and we'll really selll some cars! You heard it hear first.

Ken.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems like low sales are making them desperate...another recovery attempt to spin the narrative of the Zupra.
Like I've said if a younger demographic is their audience, the car is much too expensive. Well see what this is priced at. Not much lower I suspect.
I heard they were working on a next-generation 86, plus how much cheaper will it make the Supra?

·
iSPOOL
1,181 Posts
I heard they were working on a next-generation 86, plus how much cheaper will it make the Supra?
No idea but it wouldn't be a smart move for Toyota, the Supra name, or the 86 sales.
What does it cost in Japan?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts