Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
The main issue I had was the tuning with the AEM EMS. The 7M ignition system did not work well with the EMS causing a low rpm stumble
You aren't the only one with this issue. The AEM v1 is not a fan of the stock CPS. Options are to crack it open and do some soldering to run hall sensors, or change to a different standalone.

Regarding 7M vs 2JZ: I got a 7M shortblock in good shape for $50. Add JE pistons, some rods, etc, and it's still cheaper to build a mild forged 7M vs buying a stock unknown condition 2JZ around here.

·
Registered
688 Posts
imo these days the largest hold up with the 7m is finding a head that isn't annealed to shit or have cam journals that look like sand was used as oil lol. if you have or find yourself a nice mk3 that hasn't been destroyed then building the original 7m is a viable option. other than i find it hard to just be coincidence that most 7m builds i've seen don't last long. either they rod knock or the head studs loosen blowing the headgasket(what happened to mine). my cars been swapped over to a 2jzge for a while now blown up a couple engines too but they're readily available. most usdm 2jzge have had a pretty good life auto came in luxury cars so the owners could afford to maintain but don't drive them like a nut bag. Can't say the same about 7m's since they only came in supras or even the 2jzgte and 1jzgte. the chance that those motors have been abused is very high compared to the 2jzge. people have got jdm engines where there's tons of sludge or rust on internals it's harder to find those mint swaps these days.

so my 2019 opinion is screw the 7mgte, the 1jzgte, AND the 2jzgte i'll take my 2jzge's allllllll day!

How are you blowing 2JZ-GE engines?

·
boost'en down 101
1,243 Posts
How are you blowing 2JZ-GE engines?
see my thread above i make mistakes and hard on things lol. the first one i blew up lasted 5 years running on safc2/lexafm fasted trap was 131mph with that never dyno'd it on high boost but it finally let go making a pass at the drag strip. rods 5 and 6 slashed through the block looked like wolverine cut it open!? the others didn't last as long because of my learning curve with some new parts and beating on things immediately before making sure it's all perfect i need to quit doing that hahahaa

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wait, did you just compare a stock engine with just camshafts against an entirely built 7M with dry sump, complete with reworked chambers in the cylinder head?

Would agree, bad comparison.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Wait, did you just compare a stock engine with just camshafts against an entirely built 7M with dry sump, complete with reworked chambers in the cylinder head?
The better question is,

THe HKS Drag 70 Supra had an ATI damper. That was more than 15 years PRIOR to me getting mine made, why was it not ever offered to the public?
Same with the Custom Moroso oil pan...
FFIM before it was even a thought in the aftermarket world.
Twin turbo on a 7m (Dual T04)
The real question I would like answered, what was controlling all of it back in the early 90's? The HKS alphabet soup of piggy backs?

BTW, with that train of thought you posted.. you are comparing a 7m vs 1jz?

7m = Moses Old
1jz = Jesus old

Both are OLD.

Apples and oranges, it has always been.
so they have two things in common. They are both OLD. They both fit in the MA70/MA71 chassis.
I am not sure why there contin... wait wait. Who am I kidding. It is the same reason that it always comes up.

Fanboyisms along with the tidal wave of stupid that no one can stand up against (and trust me, I have tried).

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,908 Posts
The better question is,

THe HKS Drag 70 Supra had an ATI damper. That was more than 15 years PRIOR to me getting mine made, why was it not ever offered to the public?
Same with the Custom Moroso oil pan...
FFIM before it was even a thought in the aftermarket world.
Twin turbo on a 7m (Dual T04)
The real question I would like answered, what was controlling all of it back in the early 90's? The HKS alphabet soup of piggy backs?

BTW, with that train of thought you posted.. you are comparing a 7m vs 1jz?

7m = Moses Old
1jz = Jesus old

Both are OLD.

Apples and oranges, it has always been.
so they have two things in common. They are both OLD. They both fit in the MA70/MA71 chassis.
I am not sure why there contin... wait wait. Who am I kidding. It is the same reason that it always comes up.

Fanboyisms along with the tidal wave of stupid that no one can stand up against (and trust me, I have tried).
Whoa.....! Chevydude, figgie, black89t,sixpack, MrSupra, enraged all in the same thread. Old school all at once. Whats good peeps did I miss anyone...hows that build figgie?

2jz 1jz are up graded 7ms....they all have a legacy because of the 7m. Hg upgrade and tuning would make a 7m what it could have been. Piss poor tuning, half ass repairs by cheap ass enthusiasts gave the 7m a bad rep.

Why do you think will kneely, the boys from Connecticut jollyrogers, drjonez, slow66,and other's did so well. The 7m in pinks running down that stang.

Who remembers Tony mahwat was it, and his 5 speed 7mgte vs Ryan Woon.....watch that on youtube by googling mk3 vs ryan woon.😎

• Most 7m enthusiasts want cheap power, and poor ass builds with cheap piggy backs. Then you will buy a ceao ecu like the emuBlack and use your old wire harness 40 years old and complain about issues with plug and play....wtf
The 7m just needs proper building and tuning. Ask Duane Stevens about the 1krwhp that he made.

The New Mkv will come alive and breathe life into the old platfoms like ours.

·
Registered
194 Posts
"The 7m just needs proper building and tuning "

its a little more than just that. Wreckless and other well known and experienced 7M gurus will tell you its much, much more than having the money and right tune for a 7m to work with bigger power.

·
5,908 Posts
"The 7m just needs proper building and tuning "

its a little more than just that. Wreckless and other well known and experienced 7M gurus will tell you its much, much more than having the money and right tune for a 7m to work with bigger power.

Will kneely, slow66, duane Stevens, tony mahwat, sixpack, malta dragster, Shawn Cassidy mk3 vs Chevelle in pinks 87 Toyota Supra Chris Osofast7m, blackdevilsupra, all did it right on different budgets....Osofatst7m....4500.00 . The problem was Way back when you had no idea people were blowing motors doing half ass rebuilds.....it is not as hard as YOU think. Talk what you know because The boyz in long Island spent 4500 kicking zo6 vettes, and Osofast7m kicked every 2jzgte in the ass in deerpark long Island.

People get rod knock never cut and reize rods, never align hone the mains.....The boyz on long Island did that or got new rods....IMHO not resizing or buying new rods or align honing the mains was the problem. F&H MOTOR'S Now in Florida induction motor sports knew this and every car that they built for 4500.00 kicked ass and never died.I have been on here forever, and i have 1st hand experience of what works from hands on trial and error.

Do a survey ask who ever align hone the mains ,or cut and resized the rods at a minimum... Cheap ass builds and piss poor tunes.....period. once I went forged rods and pistons I never got rod knock ever....Revved to 8000rpms with 272 cams no lope at idle did crazy figure 8 burn outs dragged raced on the street and all. Ibroke the crank bolt after installing my ported head....lol I forgot to take the breaker bar off. Killed Vipers and vettes with BREWTE4CE TOO.

So I got a 2jzgte with billet mains forged rods and crower bc6309hd rods and Arias pistons in the work....the machining alone for mains align honed and bores honed 1000.00.....Most 7mgte enthusiasts wont pay for this type of machining....find some that did and if they got rod knock it was the tune. I don't need to ask a "guru" lol

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Whoa.....! Chevydude, figgie, black89t,sixpack, MrSupra, enraged all in the same thread. Old school all at once. Whats good peeps did I miss anyone...hows that build figgie?

2jz 1jz are up graded 7ms....they all have a legacy because of the 7m. Hg upgrade and tuning would make a 7m what it could have been. Piss poor tuning, half ass repairs by cheap ass enthusiasts gave the 7m a bad rep.

Why do you think will kneely, the boys from Connecticut jollyrogers, drjonez, slow66,and other's did so well. The 7m in pinks running down that stang.

Who remembers Tony mahwat was it, and his 5 speed 7mgte vs Ryan Woon.....watch that on youtube by googling mk3 vs ryan woon.😎

• Most 7m enthusiasts want cheap power, and poor ass builds with cheap piggy backs. Then you will buy a ceao ecu like the emuBlack and use your old wire harness 40 years old and complain about issues with plug and play....wtf
The 7m just needs proper building and tuning. Ask Duane Stevens about the 1krwhp that he made.

The New Mkv will come alive and breathe life into the old platfoms like ours.
Not sure if autocorrect "enraged" from an "engaged".

Ahh, that Orange Mk.III, everyone wanted to see that orange car beat Woon. It was an underdog fight! It reminds me of the Focus (I think) "beating" that big single Mk.IV in Vegas. Crowd went insane! I can't find the vid!

As much as I'm opposed to the new Zupra, I'm hoping it will at least breathe life into the Mk. III platform.

·
5,908 Posts
Not sure if autocorrect "enraged" from an "engaged".

Ahh, that Orange Mk.III, everyone wanted to see that orange car beat Woon. It was an underdog fight! It reminds me of the Focus (I think) "beating" that big single Mk.IV in Vegas. Crowd went insane! I can't find the vid!

As much as I'm opposed to the new Zupra, I'm hoping it will at least breathe life into the Mk. III platform.
Seems like it already has begun to breathe life into the MK3...i believe that I read that they promised to start making parts again for it. The new car will fair well I think.....the more I read about it the more I like it.

I do believe that BMW got the better of the deal. The road and track dyno makes me a believer, and the stats 0-60 aren't to shabby. I am not excited about the aluminum block built by BMW. I LOVE the design minus the bubble roof.🤔👽

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Seems like it already has begun to breathe life into the MK3...i believe that I read that they promised to start making parts again for it.
As far as I'm concerned, that's just rumor. For me, not until one can order these restoration parts will it be reality. I think it's either another internet rumor , or that it's just lip service and damage control as a result of Nissan's program as well as the BMW thing. It's like, look we (Toyota) are still cool because we still like (real) Toyota Supras. See, we didn't abandon you all.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Anthony (QWIKSTRIKE),

what is happening man! Yep back and in full force!
The "build" has been an electrical mess. I see why the guy got rid of it. Lucky me! :D

I agree with you 100%

it is the lost knowledge portion of the 7M thinking and throw in some hacks to make it work and you have what looks like a fragile build. The 7m is far from fragile.

Hell when my old one bit the ghost at 240k Miles. It failed due to #2 rod bearing saying good buy, zero oil pressure for 40+ miles. (20+miles each way). Even when I got to school, I was expecting to probably get a tow truck back to my home at that time as I had already ran it with zero oil pressure for a long as time. Besides that massive rod knock, the car still started after class. So 20+ more miles or zero oil pressure, got up to the drive way and it struggled getting up but it did. I was thinking that the 7m was going to seize but nope. Next morning, the damn thing STILL started!

(The back story of the why I drove it that way: It was either I stop and not get to school to finish my final exam to graduate with my bachelor's or drive it into the literal ground to take my final exam. The choice was and is obvious so I said my piece with it).

Anyway, I stand by the statement that they are both old. Technology has progressed and continues to march forward. I hope that the new Toyota Supra has not adopted the plethora of BMW systems as then only piggy backing will work for modding.

While I was away I was running around in BMW land and you talk about complex systems. BMW (and all German brands) have them

3 CANbus system
Flexray
LIN bus
MOST

AND they ALL talk with one another and are verified with one another. One module changes and the car stops working without changing VIN's on the aforementioned module.

If Toyota can avoid all that, it will make for an easier to mod car. If they adopt the same technology from BMW, then piggy backing a standalone with the DME (what BMW calls the Engine Control module) will be the only recourse but that means no full control of the engine anymore (as the DME will override stuff if the party gets to crazy), throw in highly advanced transmissions that expects a constant feed of torque messages from the DME based on the transmission ASKING for torque (Torque request) via CANBus and it makes the car nearly impossible to tune. That is one of the limiting factors of why you don't see many Germans doing massive power.
I know that UGR and their twin turbo lambo's are no joke but amazingly, they are still limited because the stock system shut the party down to the transmission if the DME (audi based) sends the wrong torque value to the transmission.

And just incase anyone is thinking about cracking the DME. BMW is using high level based encryption (current guess is above 4096). Even with todays tech, it would take about 1000 years to break.

Technology, it is what is for breakfast.

·
Finally up and running!
3,997 Posts
Quikstrike, you forget that Slow66's running car was just a forged 7mgte with a TH350 and an old t61 p-trim running on some alphabet soup. He never got the beast fully together. Slow also had a shelf full of 7m blocks and heads in his search for something that wasn't ruined. Same with onefast7m, mellow and I assume Duane and the other 7m big dogs.

That being said, I would fully support a 7m build with modern electronics put together by someone that knows what the hell they are doing. Something that wasn't running on 30 year old wiring with some modern safety tech would make that motor go a long way. I also know that I don't have the stomach for that, so I will stick with my little torqueless wonder.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
That being said, I would fully support a 7m build with modern electronics put together by someone that knows what the hell they are doing. Something that wasn't running on 30 year old wiring with some modern safety tech would make that motor go a long way. I also know that I don't have the stomach for that, so I will stick with my little torqueless wonder.
Agreeed!

that is when you build a full on custom harness.

As much as I hate Tefzel (MIL-W-22759/16 which is now AS22759/16 AND MIL-W-22759/34 which is now SAAE AS22759/34) based wiring ,that is an upgrade to the GXL stuff and with new connectors except where it has to mate to old sensors (most are TE connectivity AMP connectors anyway so they CAN be replaced just got to watchout for the keying).

Regardless of how good that OEM harness is, after all this time, the wire sheathing is nowhere near as protective as it was when brand new.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Slow also had a shelf full of 7m blocks and heads in his search for something that wasn't ruined. Same with onefast7m, mellow and I assume Duane and the other 7m big dogs
Don't know about the others but I thought Duane started off with a new OEM head and virtually new bottom end, in addition to the virtually(if not completely) new R154.

I doubt I qualify for big dog status but I have 7 bottom ends hanging around with various issues and the associated heads got scrapped for aluminum since they were annealed. Decent 7M cores are just getting plain hard to come by, especially with the 7M crank.

MIL-W-22759/34 which is now SAAE AS22759/34) based wiring
Love me some 22759 wire.
Regardless of how good that OEM harness is, after all this time, the wire sheathing is nowhere near as protective as it was when brand new.
Couple the age with the heat of an engine bay and there is likely to be breaks in wire insulation which inevitably leads to corrosion on the conductor. Building a new harness was probably one of the better things I've done.

·
5,908 Posts
Agreeed!

that is when you build a full on custom harness.

As much as I hate Tefzel (MIL-W-22759/16 which is now AS22759/16 AND MIL-W-22759/34 which is now SAAE AS22759/34) based wiring ,that is an upgrade to the GXL stuff and with new connectors except where it has to mate to old sensors (most are TE connectivity AMP connectors anyway so they CAN be replaced just got to watchout for the keying).

Thats why when I went standalone I had a harness built. No 30 year old wires cracking and shorting out.With the Gt4088 look at my dyno....I was 9:1 afrs on the dyno and at 5000rpms the car kept losing power because of a broken tps and failing wire harness. Going over bumps the car shut off so building a new harness was the only option using a standalone..

The old guys know what I mean....hey forever,whats been good for you.

I may try to get a meet going by years end if I complete this new motor by next month. If on I was a guru....:alien::whistle::oops::rolleyes::cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
You guys seem to know a lot about the supra mk3 engines. Does anybody know if the 1g-gte engine has the issues of the 7m or its own set of issues? I know the 1g has a better head gasket installed from the get go.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
1G never caught on as it is smaller than even the 1j

1G is all off 2L. The car it came in was a narrow bodied MKIII.

For the group, I am saying this out loud;

the MKIII world got really screwed up when the word "PnP" was introduced to the AEM back in the early 2000's.
Anyone remember with people saying the following
"The AEM(v1) sux as it keeps blowing motors" when the real issue was and is, attempting to use used parts (timing belts, CPS, harness with god knows what isues etc) with unknown mechanical back lashing and then expecting solid ignition timing. I laugh everyt ime I see a post on FB and the common theme is

" I am not wasting any more money if i can get PnP" and "why should i pay for a new harness when the old one works?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know the on paper stuff about the 1G-GTE. Just need to know if it's an engine I can expect to run for a long time without cooling issues and the head gasket blowing, like on the 7M, leaving it alone without having to work on it to make it reliable.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts