Supra Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
People get rod knock never cut and reize rods, never align hone the mains.....The boyz on long Island did that or got new rods....IMHO not resizing or buying new rods or align honing the mains was the problem. F&H MOTOR'S Now in Florida induction motor sports knew this and every car that they built for 4500.00 kicked ass and never died.I have been on here forever, and i have 1st hand experience of what works from hands on trial and error.

rod knock as a result of bhg coolant mixing with oil and getting to the rod bearings and journals, which then necessitates align honing and resizing the rods?

·
Super Moderator
10,037 Posts
I know the on paper stuff about the 1G-GTE. Just need to know if it's an engine I can expect to run for a long time without cooling issues and the head gasket blowing, like on the 7M, leaving it alone without having to work on it to make it reliable.
The 1G-GE and 1G-GTE were basically Toyota's RB20 in that era. Toyota had a commercial in the 80's showing the 1G-GE had such a silky smooth idle that a guy balanced a coin on the top of the cam covers with the engine running.

But like RB20DET's these days, most of them are going on 30 years old. Expect components to fail and expect to do a lot of maintenance before you can really 'trust' it. Unless the engine's coming as the original engine in a car with known history, you basically have to assume that every one of these JDM engines, 1G-GTE or otherwise, have gone the past 10 years sitting on a rev limiter without any oil changes. Afterwards, when the car was chopped for parts, that engine sat on a pallet in an open air storage area on a pier suffering everything the elements could throw at it.
Start with that assumption and you'll be fine. If you're buying some $1000 motor set from some guy and expecting a brand new crate engine, you're going to be profoundly disappointed.

Given the effort involved I personally wouldn't bother with a 1G-GTE swap into anything. JZ or even a 7M, sure, but not a 1G-GTE.

Also, Figgie, the 1G-GTE MK3's aka the GA70's could be had in narrowbody or in widebody flavor. The narrowbodies were GA70's, the widebodies were GA70H's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was looking into getting a GA70 Supra with the 1G in it stock, no swaps. I've owned and daily driven my RX-7 FC turbo 2 for 3 years without a single fix on the engine. I trust older japanese cars. I don't work on cars myself so when I see the issue with the 7M head gaskets blowing stock I run to other options. 1JZs are too expensive. I'm just looking for a grand tourer experience so the 1G being underpowered isn't an issue. In fact the 1G should feel more at home with me since I drive an RX-7 now

41 - 43 of 43 Posts