Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the big tank on the boottom of the air intake tubing. It is in between the MAF and the intake manifold on the bottom of the tube. If I were to get an intake that goes straight to the manifold would there be any problems. For example the Injen intake for a Lexus SC300 is the same as ours but what about that resevoir on the bottom?

R

·
0 Posts
The baffles on the stock intake pipe are there to take care of sound from the intake. If you were to replace the pipe with one like in the picture, you will not see any adverse affects.

Ryan

R

·
0 Posts
You will be able to hear it more so than stock. I've got a K&N FIPK on mine and that alone makes a big difference. I can gear the filter sucking as I lay into the throttle. I like the sound and being able to hear the car working.

Ryan

G

·
0 Posts
As far as I am aware, these are the resonators. They ensure that there is always a constant amount air being fed into the intake mainfold, this is important for NA's, but not for TT's as this is regulated by the turbo.

If you get rid of these then there is a possibility to get a better max flow of air but you may not be able to ensure that the flow is constant.

Ben

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ryan,
does the K&N Fuel Injector Performance Kit fit all the way to the intake manifold? It does on my cousins 5.9 Jeep but I don''t know about on the supra.

R

·
0 Posts
I'll take some pics of it for you. As far as I know, having a straight pipe will just fine. Everyone that I know of that has one has not seen any adverse affects.

Ryan

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
the only adverse effects I'm getting is the damn pipe heating up so bad from being right above the unshielded headers....still trying to decide to thermoshield the pipe or make a heat shield for the headers...

G

·
0 Posts
if u remove your stock intake up to the thottle body and strap on say a custom metal intake, like in the first picture. Would it be just as beneficial to have the intake HPC coated or build a shield the attaches to the base of the intake and runs the length of the intake?? Make sense??Thoughts???

Cheers

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
why cant us odb1 guys setup the maf inside the intake tube :9 its just makes a lot cleaner look :( as for the perf if you run the stock intake piping with the second section modifed to take that first maffle out you will make better tq numbers and depedning maybe hp number cause the alum aftermarket intake pipes tends to super heat and increase your intake temps recuing hp alittle bit- we did a hold post on this a while ago and i got into the whole fluid dynamics thing and what not. but back to the stock intake you only wants those sounds waves to a certain rpm after that it will creates a air aflow restriction,. thats why lexus is300 uses a aftermarket intake pipe and heat wraps it cause there always at high rpm and dont wnat to lose hp due to the p[ipe transfering heat if you keep your car under 5k most of the time the stock intake piping with the resonators . will make your car faster after 5-6 you want the straight pipe.do parkway run you want a free flowing sraight thuw intake pipelike the accord pipe or for stop light to stop lgiht you want the stock piping for some tq hope this helps. by the way i like that heat sheild ryan nice setup. i am going to new engine pics tomm . wait until you see this cai setup it doesnt even compare to my last one ;) the way its done you are probally going to want one.-Xdreamer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts