Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, great news, my targa is fucked. The front driver side bolt that attaches under the visor won't tighten or loosen. The screw just continues to spin and spin. I know the screw is stripped, the top used to come off and I re-threaded the screw, apparently that wore out. But shouldn't the screw just be loose and the top could come off right? I took it to Toyota and they said that the screw and the hole/nut whatever that it tightens to is stripped. They don't know. Basically, the top won't come off, the screw won't loosen or tighten and my top moves around freely over bumps and rattles worse then my grandmother's teeth. I've heard I need a new top for a grand. Definately don't want to do that. Someone help me out here and let me know what my possibilites are.

Matt

·
Registered
658 Posts
Toyota makes a replacement kit that will drop in to replace the bolt. Tell the idots at your toyota dealer to look it up. This used to be a big problem on the mark III so when the mark IV came out they devleoped this kit to avoid having to warranty replace the tops.( they are real easy to cross thread as you found out) I know this exists as I have one in my car.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Matt,

No reason to panic--in almost-2002 you don't replace the whole targa b/c of a screwed screw...
Look for this repair kit. If your Toyota dealer still can't find it then you wana get in touch with Curt @ [email protected] . He's the parts manager for this dealership, he's VERY knowledgeable and VERY helpful.

BTW, this repair kit may be possibly useful is resolving the problem of your grandma's rattling teeth too...

Good luck,

Jay :cool:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. But the thing is, I can't replace the bolt if I can't get it out of the hole. The thing is stuck in there and I can't get the top off of the car.

Any ideas???

Matt

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Matt,

I was afraid that this might pose a problem...

One quick solution is to use a stick of dynamite. The only prolem with that method is that it would require the replacement of some additional parts...

I would try to use the alan wrench while at the same time pushing the targa up, as hard as possible. Make sure, though, that all other screws are already loosened all the way.

Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
hehe if u find out how to lemme know... I've been trying to figure it out.... I had to drill out my screw... but rethreading wasnt an option for me.... and the part that acts as a nut inside the targa are welded on as part of the targa.. so theres no replacement for it besides buying a new targa.... nless find someone with a messed up one... and have them cutoff that one section and goto toyota and buy a new bolt too... then u have to cut ur old section off of the targa and have a new section welded on there... that was my option the cheap way... but havent had any lucj of finding anyone with a messed up top... so if there IS an alternative to fixing it.. lemme know too... as mine no longer has a nut there.....or screw... just loose on that side... so rattle rattle rattle..... good luck

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
BlitzTT,

I believe that I can help you, however, I need some info from you.

However, I think that it would be better if we do it "off line"--via email. If you end up with a satisfactory solution then you can post here the "bottom line".

So expect an email from me.

·
0 Posts
Has anyone figured out the solution? I have the same problem as Matt but my messed up bolt is the front passengers side. Please post how to fix it.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I had the "washer" that holds the bolt into the A-pillar for the targa break off.

I had to have it welded back on the car. I was pretty bummed about it at first, but $100 later it was good as new.

Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My front driver side "washer" thing broke off too... isntead of welding it back on though I got some kind of super glue cuz my friend who is a mechanic said he couldn't weld it on cuz it'll singe the cloth interior around it...... hopefully it'll stay on.... so far no problems....

·
0 Posts

Has anyone figured out how to fix this problem my targa is still messed up :(

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
i just had my targa top bolt and bracket placed in this week, in order for them to replace the bolt and bracket toyota must remove the lining from the targa top and unscrew the bracket. I thought i could just replace the bolt itself but that is not the case. the part cost me 49.95 and labor was around 100 at toyota, which by the way 1) scratched the targa top because they placed it on the ground while working on it 2) and placed 2 dents on my door, but they justified this by saying maybe i didn't see the dent before because they just washed my car so i could see the dents better now....c'mon... anyways i'm in the process getting this resolved...arghhhhhhhh

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
well when a car goes in for service at a shop like toyota they usually make an inspection sheet pointing out dents and everything then you sighn for it (well upnear me thats what all car dealers do!)
MyKarIsVicious said:
i just had my targa top bolt and bracket placed in this week, in order for them to replace the bolt and bracket toyota must remove the lining from the targa top and unscrew the bracket. I thought i could just replace the bolt itself but that is not the case. the part cost me 49.95 and labor was around 100 at toyota, which by the way 1) scratched the targa top because they placed it on the ground while working on it 2) and placed 2 dents on my door, but they justified this by saying maybe i didn't see the dent before because they just washed my car so i could see the dents better now....c'mon... anyways i'm in the process getting this resolved...arghhhhhhhh

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
yea they never offered me that option,

·
0 Posts
MyKarisVicious,
Whats the name and number to your toyota dealer? I think I'm am going to have my dealer call them so they can explain the solution to them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ATTN: RSA Supra

Hey, the JBweld that I used to reattach my washer failed.... =( fell off again after couple of days.... I'm seriously thinking about getting it welded back on instead of paying Toyota 500+ for parts/labor to replace the parts. Do you know if any auto shop would be able to do it? since my friend said if he was to weld it back on for me he'd singe/melt the rubbing linings and cloth interiors that are very close to the place.

ATTN: MyKarIsVicious

Hey, if it isn't too much trouble... could you let me know what parts you got for 49.95 to fix the problem? Because my toyota dealer wants 500+ for parts and labor to replace the bracket/washer/bolt, etc... =( If you could list the parts number by any chance that would be great too.. =) thanks...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
up

·
0 Posts
My targa fun!!

I stripped out the center bolt and had to buy the entire center bolt mech ($65) on the advise from the tech section. I also bought 2 new weatherstripping ($75). I dont even think I needed them, old ones were fine. Anyway since I had everything apart I thought I would tighten every bolt to avoid the dredded raddling. Long story short I broke the heads right off two of the bolts. One from the center bolt mecknism and 1 of the two painted bolts on the underside of the roof. Am I fucked, or do you think it wont matter. Oh well It doest rattle..yet.

rg
bpu+

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
dzeiler said:
Toyota makes a replacement kit that will drop in to replace the bolt. Tell the idots at your toyota dealer to look it up. This used to be a big problem on the mark III so when the mark IV came out they devleoped this kit to avoid having to warranty replace the tops.( they are real easy to cross thread as you found out) I know this exists as I have one in my car.
I've worked at a Toyota dealer parts dept for over 19 years and have owned 8 different years of mk's.Toyota NEVER had a field fix kit for the front "nut plate" inside the targa roof.

If it does exists get the alleged part # from your dealer and prove me wrong.

A factory part # has 10 digits IE: 12345-67890

The original post is for the stripped nut plate INSIDE the roof .[lf/rf]

We all know that the BOLTS can be bought seperately,and the brackets on the REAR of the targa/body.

THE MAIN PROBLEM HERE IS THE FRONT NUT PLATE IN THE LF/RF OF THE TARGA ROOF.

The only solution I know of is to remove the FRONT NUT PLATE from the targa top,grind off the STRIPPED NUT and have a new6mm X 1.0 NUT WELDED back to the plate,then re-install.

If you can remove the BOLT at the Lf/Rf top then try a HEILICOIL kit to re-thread the NUT PLATE IN the roof.

FWIW: the Helicoil kit # is 5546-6 and you need a 1/4"drill bit ,instructions are in the kit.

see profile to find me:smile:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts