Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Supra community has very little knowledge on this great stand alone. I feel that we are missing out. If you do a search on the forums or the internet it self, you find very little results on a Supra with a Power FC. In this thread I will be sharing my total outcome results from the Power FC and the dyno tuning. From beginning to end.

Already I have found out that the AP Engineering Power FC I have installed is plug and play. Unlike most people said, I did not install any extra sensors to the car before installing the Power FC. My Power FC also came with a harness. I did not have to install any extra sensors for it to work on my USDM 2JZGTE motor. The commander is reading all sensors on the car perfectly, from air temp to knock. My idle is also perfect. I am not sure what kind of tuning and base map is on the Power FC, so I can not get on the car to hard, just to be safe.

The car will be dyno tuned late this week or early next week. We will know more when my tuner plugs the datalog up to the Power FC and can read all parameters and see what I am missing, if any.

There are 3 Supra’s on this forum who have the Power FC running on there USDM 2JZGTE motor, but unfortunately do not know too much on how there shop installed it.

I will keep you all updated on all my findings. My goal is to learn and share all my findings and results with everyone here so we can put away the question marks on the Apexi Power FC. Thank you all.

A video after installing the Power FC, plug and play:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8CA35DB7-3F39-4F9E-AFF7-ABBDB0671354.htm

The Power FC, Commander and Harness I purchased:







Here is an article many of you have never seen, but thanks to BomexSupra you can now read. The car in the article is owned by him. The dyno tunes were done on 91 pump gas. He is only bpu and gianed 30whp after the tune on 16psi. I am on 18psi 93 pump gas and also have a little more modifications to my car, I hope to gain a good amount. Time will tell:













Power FC FAQ:

http://members.dodo.com.au/paul/docs/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm#1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well today my buddy was going through the commander and found out that I could change from sequential to parallel turbo operation with the commander. A simple on/off option. Just that easy! You can also change redline fuel cut, idle when a/c is on, and so much more with the commander. I am loving the Power FC!

The car goes in on May 2nd for a full tune. I expect to see a 40-50whp gain after the tune!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
there are a fair few members on the australian supra forums who are using this computer with very impressive results.
join up and take a look around and you'll find some decent info. on it.

visit us at:
www.supraforums.com.au
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
invazn said:
there are a fair few members on the australian supra forums who are using this computer with very impressive results.
join up and take a look around and you'll find some decent info. on it.

visit us at:
www.supraforums.com.au

O yes. I was speaking with a guy from http://www.modyourcar.com.au/shipping.php which is out of Australia. He was helping me a little with the Power FC.

But here in North America, not too many people know about the Power FC because no one has really ever shared there results with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,623 Posts
Great information! 7thsign I look forward to hearing your results. Please let us know all the parts (map sensor, intake sensor, etc ) needed for a successful install. :bigthumb:
 

·
King Ding-a-ling!
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
I am glad that you are bringing this to light. What about provisisons for the auto tranny? I am not going to a th-400 any time soon. I think that there are many of us in this boat. This is the only thing I can find "wrong" with the Power FC. Will this ever be addressed? It will be nice to have an alternative to the ever popular AEM.

Brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IGGYWOOWOO said:
I am glad that you are bringing this to light. What about provisisons for the auto tranny? I am not going to a th-400 any time soon. I think that there are many of us in this boat. This is the only thing I can find "wrong" with the Power FC. Will this ever be addressed? It will be nice to have an alternative to the ever popular AEM.

Brandon
I will look in to the auto issue, allow me some time to research this fully.

cwtt said:
Great information! 7thsign I look forward to hearing your results. Please let us know all the parts (map sensor, intake sensor, etc ) needed for a successful install. :bigthumb:
Here is the thing though. The car is running perfect with he Power FC installed. Not even a check engine light has come on. I have not changed any sensors. It is monitoring air temp, fuel duty cycle and all other parameters. If I wanted to, I could tune the car right now using the commander, but I rather have t done with the datalog so we can squeeze out ever hp. We will know for sure when we hook up the datalog that everything is fine and that this was a true plug and play system which runs off our USDM MAF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
THA and PIM are being used to run your car right now (they are common to all Supras) and that could be enough unless you up the boost substantially and then you will need re-range the P sensor. You still need to verify a few things though. There appears to be no provisions for FPU, HT2 and EGR. The last two are important only if need to smog but at this point I'm sure you have thought of that. Since there is no VSV control for the fuel return (presssure regulator) you can just check to ensure that enough fuel is being supplied when you tune and act accordingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MtFujiSupra said:
THA and PIM are being used to run your car right now (they are common to all Supras) and that could be enough unless you up the boost substantially and then you will need re-range the P sensor. You still need to verify a few things though. There appears to be no provisions for FPU, HT2 and EGR. The last two are important only if need to smog but at this point I'm sure you have thought of that. Since there is no VSV control for the fuel return (presssure regulator) you can just check to ensure that enough fuel is being supplied when you tune and act accordingly.
Thank you for the great info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,691 Posts
you will not get a CEL with the PFC...the PFC uses the CEL as a warning light...slow flashes to indicate that you are maxing out a sensor, injectors, or loosing tuning range...quick flashes is knock over the set threshold...

I been running a PFC in the celica for 2 years now...its a great tool and im very happy with it...but i have the AEM EMS in the Supra and All-trac and i much prefer it...i love its internal datalogging capabilities...you need the Datalogit box and software to do that with the PFC...

good luck with your tuning though...lets see your results
 

·
feeding your habit
Joined
·
4,015 Posts
I almost bought this EMU, but I have not been able to get good response from vendors.

assuming I bought the apexi power FC with the commander (hand held) my questions:

1. is any software included?
2. does it self tune?

It's pretty easy, if I had those answers I'd be buying...... I hear that trying to tune a singled car is very difficult with this unit, mainly because the display of the handheld is too small to be useful for map tuning. If it came with software..... I need to know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
I do believe there is a self tune but I'll let our expert answer to that. Certainly there is software- that's what makes this thing attractive over, say, background code written by a proprietary entity that you have no access to modify yourself. Me thinks that's not what you mean though. In that case, DataLogIt is available right now for map writting on a macro level (among other interesting features).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
98mkiv said:
I almost bought this EMU, but I have not been able to get good response from vendors.

assuming I bought the apexi power FC with the commander (hand held) my questions:

1. is any software included?
2. does it self tune?

It's pretty easy, if I had those answers I'd be buying...... I hear that trying to tune a singled car is very difficult with this unit, mainly because the display of the handheld is too small to be useful for map tuning. If it came with software..... I need to know!
Yes, it is self learning. When you install the Power FC, it must run on the car for 10min on idle to learn the car.

There is software you can purchase called the datalog. This is the software any person can buy and fully tune the Power FC. Then there is the datalogit, which only certified Power FC tuners have.
 

·
feeding your habit
Joined
·
4,015 Posts
I know it self tunes at idle, but it doesn't do so anywhere else. Eman-Ult does....

The software I understand costs $490..... too much IMO.

This seemed good to me if you either bought the software or paid to have the apexi certified shop tune it for you. Good base tune for stock or BPU cars, but for singled cars with different fuel (other than the stock 440's of the jspec) you need to have the SW or the $$ to pay for apexi to tune it for you.

I have the eman-ult but I wanted this unit. Too much $$$ when you add the software to the pix. I want to be able to self tune if I need to without going to the shop and paying big $$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
98mkiv said:
I know it self tunes at idle, but it doesn't do so anywhere else. Eman-Ult does....

The software I understand costs $490..... too much IMO.

This seemed good to me if you either bought the software or paid to have the apexi certified shop tune it for you. Good base tune for stock or BPU cars, but for singled cars with different fuel (other than the stock 440's of the jspec) you need to have the SW or the $$ to pay for apexi to tune it for you.

I have the eman-ult but I wanted this unit. Too much $$$ when you add the software to the pix. I want to be able to self tune if I need to without going to the shop and paying big $$.
I understand what you mean. I my self do not know how to tune a car and would not need the Datalogit software. I am lucky that my tuner already has it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
The base map it comes with is the same as the stock ECU, if you're running larger injectors over stock have fun trying to get it tuned via the hand controller (5+ hours) the hand controller only provides a limited view of the functionality as pointed out by another member you need software and the only real option is the datalogit software.

I have the power FC pro and I have had troubles getting it tuned here in AU, I have only just now managed to get hold of software to tune the PRO version so my car has sat around for 6 months not running right (sard 650cc injectors)

modyourcar.com.au would have to be the most expensive shop in existence, if you're after help contact one of the Jap shops, most of them are more than willing to offer help/advice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jasonpb said:
The base map it comes with is the same as the stock ECU, if you're running larger injectors over stock have fun trying to get it tuned via the hand controller (5+ hours) the hand controller only provides a limited view of the functionality as pointed out by another member you need software and the only real option is the datalogit software.

I have the power FC pro and I have had troubles getting it tuned here in AU, I have only just now managed to get hold of software to tune the PRO version so my car has sat around for 6 months not running right (sard 650cc injectors)

modyourcar.com.au would have to be the most expensive shop in existence, if you're after help contact one of the Jap shops, most of them are more than willing to offer help/advice
my shop already has the software. yes, you cant tune the car complete with the commander, but the commander is a nice tool to have.
 

·
[H][K][S] whore!
Joined
·
437 Posts
From the PFC FAQ website......




""""Does the unit work on manual and auto cars?
The PowerFC only supports manual cars. It will work on an automatic car however it will not handle gear changes and simply keep the throttle nailed during a gear change. This will result in jerky gear changes and stress placed on the gearbox. The factory ECU during a gear change will communicate with the auto box and drop timing, ignition to ensure a smooth change. For those wishing to use PowerFC with auto you should consider a mechanical auto gearbox instead of an electronic. The PowerFC should work fine with a mechanical gearbox such as power glide, transbreak etc"""""""
 

·
Stock Twins King
Joined
·
4,490 Posts
The PFC is pretty impressive. I am also not sure why they arnt being used that much. There PnP software is 100x better than AEM. The commander is a great tool, but I dont think id ever use it to do much tuning. We have a local shop installing these for around $1700. Which is maybe a little more than the AEM. So unless it gets hyped up more, it wont sell like the AEM. I do know that the this unit is much more freindly for a BPU supra than the AEM.

I am considering installing one this summer when the guru tuner from Japan is coming over to tune cars for a week. He can get 10% more HP than anyone else from his tuning secrets I hear!?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top