Supra Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Just say no to Supras
2,197 Posts
I would definately reccomend doing it yourself if you have the know how. It isnt that hard to do if you know a little about wiring. That way you know that the install wasnt done half assed, plus you can get the alarm for much cheaper. I paid $211 for my Viper 791XV and have remote start in my 5 speed, screw that auto only crap.

G

·
ultra start i got it from ranger498 its the best alarm no problems and have many options....auto start, roll down windows, rear hatch, turbo timer type...very cool

· Registered
664 Posts
I am running the Alpine 8063 and LOVE IT!! There are several available on Ebay (as well as other Alpine alarms).. Comes built in the timed outputs (for turbo timer operation) and many other features.. You do have to buy the remote start piece, window interface, and optional additional radar sensors and pager...

Always done a great job for me and cool in-car display.. Alpine still makes alarms just not as fancy as some of the previous ones.. Just a thought...

· Just say no to Supras
2,197 Posts
zeeshan66 said:
what is it like to do it u'r self? Any tips or basics i should be aware of?
It does take a while to so since you have to tap into a bunch of wires (I think I tapped into 22). If you can get you hands on the DEI sheet that tells you the color of each wire you need to tap, its really nothing more than finding the wires.

· Registered
53 Posts
I just purchased an alarm from avital with remote start and a 2-way remote
http://www.avital.com/products/ap_2way.htm
There is the link that gives the specs on it. You can buy the alarm for about $225 but that is for you to install it yourself. The guy that I had install mine at a local custom shop here did if for $175. $400 for that alarm is a hella deal if you ask me. The remote will tell you if the alarm is going of and if so what point of impact the car was hit. In my opinion, this was the best way that I ever spend $400!

· 488ci V10 Power
2,422 Posts
I have the Compustar Spread Spectrum model and it pages me up to 6000 ft if the alarm goes off. Has lots of AUX channels and optional expanders for more AUX channels, can basically make it do anything you want.

I love mine, 6000ft is the farthest you will find on the market to day.

G

·
Im all for installing yourself. I had a viper alarm installed by car toys, with an engine kill. After about a year my ignition started acting a bit wierd (wouldnt catch right away...or not at all).

So I looked into the wiring from the ignition back....UGHHHH....when they wierd in the alarm they didnt even bother with butt connectors, they twistied up the wire splice to the ignition and wraped it in electrical tape.....all the connections were like that.

After a year the main ground to the iginition switch had loosened up. I ripped it all out and hard wired everything with solder. The install looked like it was done by monkeys fresh out of the zoo.

I asked around about car toys install jobs, come to find out they usually have one "good tech" and he/she is always out, leaving snot nosed brats to just tape it all together.

· 2014 E63 S
3,097 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
I have the Compustar Spread Spectrum model and it pages me up to 6000 ft if the alarm goes off. Has lots of AUX channels and optional expanders for more AUX channels, can basically make it do anything you want.

I love mine, 6000ft is the farthest you will find on the market to day.
Did you ever really get 6000ft or was that what that the compustar guys quote? I could never get that kind of range out of mine. It was better than other remotes that I had, but was around 1/4 mile range. I can imagine they might get the 1-mile range if they were in the desert with no obstructions.

· SF's Cleanest
7,747 Posts
i payed about 300 total for my python 660xp alarm, unless the car is unlocked with the keyless remote, the alarm goes off (for example if it is picked) the alarm going off disables the car being started until it us deactivated with the remote...if they find a way to shut down the alarm and keyless then ur in trouble, but that would take a professional probably who would find a way to get it, or probably stealing a nicer car than yours..wait, you have a supra. :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.