Supra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
trent88 t i feel ya big time on that vid i really do need to know what blowoff is under that hood cause i want it......dont want to assume u know.i dont like assumptions and end up buying thr wrong thing... so if there is anyone one out there who knows the guy with the supra let us know what blowoff he got under the hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
Zach i have listed NUMEROUS times as to why the SSQ sucks. Why dont you do a search under my name and you'll see.

Trent - In that video that guy is running dual SSQV's. He posted it in the General Supra Forum not long ago.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
John the SS bov is not bad at all!!!!
a ton of the big dogs run 2 and it works flawless..
they all work more or less the same as long as you have the spring tensioner set for your application....
the tial is mainly a Racing application as it will surge under low boost and this damages the turbo, this is a fact. it does have 6 nice chambers but unless you run high boost every time you shift it can cause damage over time
i like the HKS bypass and it runs like $160 and sounds badass!!!
all the other ones with a 35mm or smaller chamber will work fine with a tamer street setup...
the more hp the more volume it will push

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
reaaly??????????????/ i wouldve never guessed!!!!!!!!!!why does my ssqv dont sound like that???????it sounded so much better in the vid.........was he running one or two?????????

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
Dean - Didnt Pruven take it apart and show everyone how small that diaphragm is?? Anyway, im kinda wishin i went with hks bypass instead of rfl... Ill be over sometime this weekend to scope out whats been goin on. Take you for a ride in pinky. haha, take it easy mang.

-John

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
anyone have some sounds of the Greddy type s or type r ? I heard that type r's aren't good for low boost settings, is this true ? My plan is about 400 RWHP, so will a Type S hold it ?

·
7M Fanatic
3,257 Posts
Don't buy a BOV for how it sounds.
If all you are concerned with is sound, then buy one of those electronic sound generators that pumps a recording of what ever you want through an all weather speaker when ever you let off your throttle.

And going by what one sounds like on someone's else's car doesn't really mean it will sound the same on your car, because boost pressure, size of piping and intercooler, and where it is mounted down stream from the turbo, all make a difference in sound.

Don't know where you heard a GReddy is not good for low boost, but they are all business, more for dumping pressure (what a BOV is meant to do). If you don't have much boost, or volume (the small piping/intercooler thing) they will not make much noise. But keep in mind that they were available with different springs, for different pressure ranges+
Again, what do you want, the thing to perform it's job, or noise ?
If you like the chirping noise, buy a SARD R2D2. They are named that because the sound like the little droid, lots of chirping.
Several BOVs, have a 2-stage discharge so they will still make noise when you let off the throttle at low boost/rpm, but still can handle full throttle dumps at full boost, such as the HKS Super Sequential, and the Blitz Dual Drive.

And to add to the mix, a discharge horn will add to the sound, and/or change it, just like different lengths on musical horns make different sounds.
The 4th gen ARC was available with different lengths of horns. I have offered horns for both sizes of GReddy's valves.
I have even seen dual BOVs on high boost set-ups that were adjusted so one would open at a lesser pressure than the other.
Valves with small discharges, will make more noise, but take longer to drop pressure, so don't protect a large turbo as good as a large BOV.

GReddy BOVs with horns:

And to add to your confusion, people like HKS and Field offered electronic controls for BOVs that worked like a boost controller, to effect how the valves worked/sounded.
The Field had several adjustments on it to control opening, and duration.
I have the Field, my son has the HKS.

And to get even stranger, but very interesting was the Night Pager fully electronic BOV that was a big industrial solenoid valve, that the sense line went to the controller, and you could adjust BOV function, again, just like a boost controller.
I have one of those also in my BOV collection.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts