Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what happens when your philisophy is "Function over Form"
its 3" all the way, an Apex Dunk with the baffle removed, Hooker Headers 3-bolt flanges and only TWO 10* angles on this section. more pics to follow of bends, muffler, baffle, pipe, welding, flanges, and DP.

this is my friend/welder/machinest holding up the "catback"

This is the reason we build the exhaust; this DP cost us TWO fix-it tickets, $74 each.

Industrial/Commercial grade SS304 flex hose for Over-the-road Semi's

hanger and turn down fabricated from 2004 Silverado exhaust leftovers

This is one of the 10* bends, measured with a Protractor

This is the other of the 10* bends and the Hooker Header 3-bolt flange.

This is my friend in action... stare deeply into thet Arc, it tells your future!

The finished product only weighs 22 LBS ?! HOLY SHIT!

Madd JDM TYtness Yo! Discontinued Apex-i Dunk with internal baffle removed. This is why you do NOT buy Apex Catbacks; you can never get the baffle out. it has to be beaten out from the inlet of the muffler and is only a 2.75" OD. bad for flow, defeats the whole purpose of a 3" exhaust.

After the spot welds on the baffle were broken, and hammered out, this is what you see; the perforated core. a full 85mm bore! larger than my 3" pipe on the exhaust. Kittens curl up inside the tip for warmth at night.

EDIT: Pics installed on car!

Side view of car

Rear view of car

Top view of exhaust

·
Registered
288 Posts
Looks very nice. Would you happen to have the measurements for the straight pipe you used? Im trying to figure out how much I need. Also, do you know how much 3" pipe is in 6ft lengths or what ever they come in? Thanks.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we started out with an 8' section and had about 26" left over. the down pipe has about 3' of straight after the bend. the bend itself is one half of a U-bend with maybe a 14" leg. this is the straightest possible exhaust i could possibly make, except if i had removed the fuel tank and ran it directly out the back. 10' of exhaust may not be enough for your car... but ought to get the job done if you also use a U-bend or two. my 10' stick of 3" was only $35 from the local muffler shop.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this exhaust makes the coolest noises ever, its slightly raspy, pretty deep, and you can hear the turbines plain as day... i heart it. i want to do this same exhaust on all my supras!

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
haha, nice man..

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks mang...

selling? lol hell no, no way in hell will i try to ship an exhaust that is 8 feet tall. i dont know any company that would accept a box that big.

ill make you one, you pick it up and give me $400

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have night pics since we got done at 10:30 last night... they are kinda shitty... ill take some day time pics when my GF gets home at 530 today... ill post them up for ya ;)

oh, btw, we did have to massage the floor pan on the passenger side of the driveshaft tunnel... for some reason, there is a big bulge that protrudes further than any other area in the DS tunnel... we flattened it out and fits perfect. no telling of the floorpan mods from inside the car either :D

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, the problem is... this took some floor pan hammering and rides REALLY close to the rear subframe under the lower camber adjustment bolt...

most people would get it, mount it, and bitch about how it fits and it doesnt bolt up like factory... i would be opening a huge can of worms with that... i dont know, it depends...

if demand is overwhelming, maybe i can... we will have to see.

i dont htink i would add a muffler, that would be up to YOU guys to decide... especially since you cant buy Dunk's from Apex anymore...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i can do you one better... i just need someone to host a Video of it. a guy at my GF's work might be able to host it though... now... i just have to figure out how the F im gonna get the footage off the camera.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Flu, what did you do to that dunk again? I have one of those on my GTE cressida. So you are saying I gotta cut it off and get the inner pipe out? Does that make it quiet or louder? I want to make it a little quieter, that things is too loud for my taste.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yo... you take it out to get the full 85mm bore. that baffle pipe inside reduces the ID of the muffler significantly. it actually makes it quieter. since yours is too loud now, keep it in. and then add a bullet-style resonator somehwere upstream. this will mellow out the exhaust note alot.

take a look at this;
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WLK-17220&N=110&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=dynomax+muffler+3

cut out the appropriate length section in your exhaust system, and have this welded inplace using a butt-joint

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Good job with that exhaust.

If you are serious about making them and selling them, the best thing to do would be to make it in pieces and ship it like that. So it wont be 8 feet long, just about 4. You'd either have to put flanges on both sides so it can be a bolt on, or cut it and have the buyer weld it together. Either way, $400 for a full exhaust is damn good.

Mines still better though :D

1 - 20 of 89 Posts