Engine choice

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on a very rare piece of Toyota engineering.
1988 Toyota camry all trac 5 speed manual
Paid $600 for it as daily driver while my Cressida is waiting for it next stage build.
But unfortunately there are some down sides about it. Other the no AC or cruise control and the automatic driver side seat belt has a mind of its own, it has over 200,000 miles.
Everything clunks and clatters. But most unfortunate is the stock engine is slowly dying. The poor 3sfe is burning and leaking oil, has lost a lot of its original power.
Compression numbers:
#1 95psi
#2 115psi
#3 110psi
#4 120psi
All this leads to a need of a rebuild or new engine.

Here's the question for yall

Should I go with the 3SGTE from a celica gts or stick with the original engine but make it a higher compression engine with head work done to it?
Pros and Cons to both sides.
3SGTE:
More powerful
Rare swap
91 octane or higher gas
Lower MPG?
Wiring
Extra Gauges to install

3SFE:
N/A
high MPG
no work needed to put back in
No lag
Legal
Unique
Cheaper

None of these pros and cons affect me. I'll be happy with either one, I just can't decide which way to go.

Pics

The night I bought it in Denver CO, on a trailer back to my school

Just a small percentage of the dirt I scratched off under the car

At the car wash cleaning it up, and found that she was leaking her water:rolleyes: Luckily Toyota has thought of everything, there were rubber garments in all the right places to have the water drained out.

Had a nasty leak from the from axle

Which turns out to be the power steering pump.

Will post more pics later

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A silly pic at the Pueblo Rally track testing the fixed all trac system. It really drove like a Subaru and was able to do donuts in the dirt.
Also got some of weird looks from people on dirt bikes, atvs lifted jeeps/trucks and side by sides, but then when do you ever see a camry charging up some dunes and muddy hills.:dunno:
Might make this a rally ready car if future provides.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
9,939 Posts
Very cool find!!

It needs a 3S-GTE swap, and some more suspension travel IMHO.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The 3sgte is one hell of an engine, i would not waste any time with the 3sfe..100hp vs 240hp(3rd gen)...

·
Very Senior Member
9,974 Posts
Are you going to race the car? What do you want it to do?
The cleanest fix is the 3sfe route. If you're just going off-road and don't worry about inspections and that legality stuff, sure go with the more power.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I planned to daily it until my other Toyota is up and going, which it will survive until then. Once I take apart an engine I tend to go beyond an OEM rebuild so a modified 3sfe would happen no matter what.

Yes, I might make it a rally ready car like I said, with a bit of a lift and over size tires. But probably no serious racing just want to have the ability to turn off the road and have some 4x4 fun in a sedan

Legal stuff as in emissions isn't an issue to me since I've been dealing my other toyota with that kind of bargain and I'm out of California most of the year. I listed that so people can consider other outside elements of which choice to go with. Its sounds off, but it doesn't hurt to think about.
But I guess I sort of answer part of my own question:)
I am a power hungry son of gun, hence why I choose the following options because nothing is going back in OEM stock. I'll be happy either choice, the cost might be the same for both options, but a lot more would go into the 3sgte such as electronics, exhaust, fuel upgrades etc once the boost addiction starts. Fast as hell camry all trac, better sleeper than my Cressida, and yea more power. With the high comp 3sfe I still save on cost overall with a little more power than stock, no lag from no turbo, Stock looks for any hood popping. Good MPG. Legal meaning under radar.

Either choice is good, just want to hear what everyone else would do.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Neither one.

Run the mighty E501 if you can find it and only if your planning on going over 800awhp (so the fact that you found one doesn't turn in to a waste ;)).

And +100 about never knowing that Camry's where that cool. If you can't find a E501, get your hands on a 3S turbo.

Picture this, you tell people you have a AWD Camry!! Then you tell people it's a non turbo.... Not right.

The 3S turbo have a decent ~300HP level but most people over look the fact that they can produce 650ft/lbs of torque and this is idea for a AWD platform.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said before, either one would be okay with me, I already thought it through with both choices. I choose between the two, because they bolt right up with the stock drivetrain, no modifications required except wiring and plumbing
Your vote counts, literally

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
More pics

Today,replaced all the bushings on the front suspension, as they needed to be.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On its way to Cali, driver said it will be there the next day same time I'll be back home :)

Seems the voting poll has it results already, will be looking for some quotes on the engine all around.
But never know what the poll will look like in another month

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just came across your thread. When you gonna have the Camry back in Colorado? I'd like to check it out. How's the Cressida coming along?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has vacuum/mechanical controlled actuator that controls a viscous coupler that activates via the diff lock button There are two vsv's on the firewall driver side that controls the air flow to the vacuum actuator on the transfer case. When not in "lock diff" mode, its a 70 to maybe 80 percent power to the front wheels and 20 or 30 percent to the rear. I had the vehicle in the air, the front wheels would spin fast than the rear and I can stop two tires on either side front and back by hand and the other side would spin. when in full lock mode, all tires spin at the same speed constantly. It literally goes into full 4x4 mode. When making turns in 4x4 mode, the tires do skip like a jeep cherokee system.

The car is over 25 years. I think the actuator has to be looked or something because if you put the 4x4 into real use such as a lot of turning or trying to get through rough terrain. To get out of lock mode, you sometimes have to either go into reverse for a minute or drive for a while to get out of it.

·
Over Medicated
2,700 Posts
My parents had an 88 Camry AllTrac when I was growing up. My stepfather abused the hell out of it. Rode the clutch, ran it out of oil, never took care of it but it still ran. I would go the 3SGTE route. You could use the shortblock and build a 2.2L stroker but you'll probably have to sleeve the block to be able to hold any power. Great project though. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts