Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cornwell truck is coming tomorrow and I'm getting ready to pull my engine. I have a good size tool set but I don't have any ratcheting wrenches yet, so are there any sizes that you would recommend I pick up, I have limited funds. So I need to know the most beneficial and can't do with out sizes. And any other absolutely must have tools, Already have Duct Tape, Bailing wire, and Bubble gum somewhere inside the tool box, so no need to mention those.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
10,12,14mm are the must haves...most of the nuts bolts etc are in those sizes. might be 1 or 2 more but those are the ones i use the most when im workin on my car

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
a WHAT!? is coming tomarow?

BTW, if you have a cornwell, i'm sure the a docter could perscribe something for it...

·
re-born
1,584 Posts
orchard supply hardware was having a sale in my neck of the woods
40 bucks for 5 ratcheting craftsmen wrenches

wooo

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Nothing personal, but SnapOn, Mac and Cornwel want too much for tools you can buy for less elsewhere.
Kobalt used to be from SnapOn. Now they are the same supplier as Craftsman. Both are USA made, and high quality. (I like my Kobalt stuff better however, but I got them cheap, so I'm not too picky when it's real money being spent.)
I have an eclectic mix of tools. Craftsman, Kobalt, Mac, SnapOn, some Proto, no name from China/India/Taiwan etc.
Nice thing about cheapo wrenches? If you need a custom thin one, you can just hit it on the grinder till you have what you need, and shed no tears for the 1.50 loss. (Besides, custom tools usually are used more than ever if you work on the same vehicle all the time.)
Acutally, from a prior job, I have at least 6 box end 15/16 wrenches, it was the most common size nut we used on the equipment I worked on daily.

·
2,306 Posts
Ok, I try not to double post, but I have many Kobalt (Same as SnapOn) wrenches :) I bought out the display when they changed over from the SnapOn supplier to the Craftsman supplier.
They still have the labels on them, PM me if you are interested. BTW SnapOn is on buck per MM. (IE a 14mm wrench is 14.00 each.) I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with all of them, but they filled a entire drawer in my tool box, and I need to clean some of them out. Make me an offer :) and I'll let you know what sizes I have. (The most popular ones are already gone, sorry.)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
10, 12 ,14 to start out.

I agree they are over priced, but after the abuse I put my tools through, and the busted knuckel ratio of cheaper tools, it just becomes worth it. I like the quality of Snap-on, cornwell, and mac There have been times that I've rounder off various nuts and bolts because the size wasn't exact. The more expensive tools don't have that problem, they just fit better.

I used to get MAC tools too. but the guy started bing a prick and wouldn't honor the warrenty. With snap-on and cornwell a person just walks up to the truck with the broken tool and walks away with a new one, no hassell, done deal. dosen't happen to often but is nice choice to have when you need it.

thanks for the offer on the tools, but I think I need the most popular ones. besides I have an account with snap-on and cornwell so that helps me some.

·
2,306 Posts
Yep, those sizes are gone. Just a few were left, and I'm keeping them. Also the wrenches are the long type, with open on one side, and box on the other. I have both 6 point and 12 points in sizes mostly from 16mm up to 19mm. Also some 8 and 9mm ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts