Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now into my 2nd year of owning my supra, i'm just now starting to wonder if i should keep this car. It's a great car, but i hardly drive the thing. It's either a) no gas in the tank or b) driving my motorcycle instead.

I bought the car for $5000 CDN and bought a new motor for $2500 CDN. Added the stuff in my sig and now it's about a $10000 car. If i were to sell it i'm POSITIVE that i won't get half of that back. $4000 at the most i think. Comming this august, i will have owned this car for 2 yrs and so far i've put about 6-7000 kilometers on the new motor. I can't winter drive it and that's what is really killing me.

Now, my dad has offered to help me pay for a truck if i were to sell my supra, but i cannot justify selling it. One part of me says to sell it and buy the truck, but another part of me is saying NO WAY!! i think my biggest issue is the money factor. All that money i put into this car and i haven't really enjoyed it. I think i will enjoy having a truck more ( especially since i can winter drive it) but i still have this gut feeling in me that won't let the supra go.

I'm thinking buy a used 7m, remove my 7m, drop in the used 7m, sell the car with the used 7m, then later on in life find another supra and drop my motor in???

i dunno.....things are running through my head and i'm just realeasing it out to you guys. I'd look stupid talking to my dog or something :)

Derek

Z

·
0 Posts
fuck trucks...

If you need a winter car then just get any old beater... you'll enjoy your supra that much more once spring rolls around:D

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can't buy a winter beater. My parents WILL not let me have 3 vehicles to myself. I'm already taking up there whole garage with my bike and my supra in it right now. Maybe 1 more summer with this car and then next winter i may part with it.

L

·
0 Posts
lol yeah get the hell out of there, how old are you??? man if the car runs and looks good then i would keep it, get a job and work on it and ride your bike as transportation!!!

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
You dont enjoy it because you dont get to drive it often? Is that it?

I diddnt quite get that part either. Winter comes and goes... im thinking youd have a lot more fun with it int he spring fall and summer.

----

on a side thought, dont be surprised when all the supra owners
are telling you to keep the supra and ditch the truck, and cressida
owners (rolls eyes) to ditch the supra

why do you even want the truck exactly? do you need to haul
stuff around? is the supra not running well now? i was afraid when i started the thread you were going to say you spent all this money on the supra blah blah and now it broke again

anyhow, i think if your going to sell the supra, sell it engine
and all, not worth the hastle. If your THAT in love with the supra
you wouldnt sell it in the first place, or you would rebuild
a crazy engine again when you got another

::shrugs:: gl with whatever you decide

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
myMUSICveins said:
on a side thought, dont be surprised when all the supra owners
are telling you to keep the supra and ditch the truck, and cressida
owners (rolls eyes) to ditch the supra
:mad: The Cressida is long gone now. I'm a Supra owner through and through.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
how come no one has suggested driving it in winter? it's not that hard. drop like $250 on snow tires, and through your stock springs back in. i've been doing it for the entire winter. just don't drive like an idiot, and you'll be fine (aside from other drivers).

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
di_rosa said:
how come no one has suggested driving it in winter? it's not that hard. drop like $250 on snow tires, and through your stock springs back in. i've been doing it for the entire winter. just don't drive like an idiot, and you'll be fine (aside from other drivers).
15 year old cars + salt = :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
do what im doing. park the supra for a bit, pick up a cheap car to drive. i bought an 88 Sprint 3 cylinder for CDN$200 :)

D

·
0 Posts
Just tell them that 3 vehicles is normal. I have a beater, motorcycle and supra. I am willing to bet there are a lot of people on here with 3 supras alone. heh

·
Tired of being sexy
530 Posts
Don't Sell it!

I know what you mean, I'm living at home and going to college and my parents will never understand why I am obsessed with my car. Even though I worked for everything I own my folks would flip out if I bought another car for a beater, mainly because they assume if I'm working on the car I'm fixing something that is broken and don't seem to understand the concept of upgrading parts. I say keep your beast, it's a car that is getting more rare year after year. Convince your folks to let you buy a beater and have the best of both worlds.

peace playa

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Well, I'll tell you this for sure. If you sell it, you'll be back sooner or later, kicking yourself all the way for selling the first one. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just tell them the beater is an investment. Do they want you to have to spend more money on rust repair. :)

I bought a 86 ford ranger for 1500 bucks. motor has 305,000km's on it leaks oil like a siv. (Seriously was in better condition when I bought it Safetied vehicles are alittle more)Is still able to haul my snowmobile back and forth to the cottage and I have spent about 1500 in repairs over the last 5 years of owning it. Cost of insurance is $485/year.

Seriously buy a ford they make wicked winter beaters.

3,796 Posts
snow tires if you dont care about salt. if you do care about salt then I dont know what to tell you.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Here is my problem. Similar to yours, but slightly different.
I have a great car, but I don't drive it during the week. (Free work car.)
I'm out of town so much, I spend most of my time in rental cars.
However, when I'm home, and can take the Supra for a drive, it all comes back why I like this car so much. (Kickass power and it's paid for, unlike my co-workers with G35's, 350z's, Z06's etc.)
I could use a truck to haul crap around with, and it would be nice if I lost my company car to have a winter vehicle to use as well.
Here is the problem. I like older Toyota PU's, but want an extended cab 4x4. (if possible.) I also have an extra 7MGTE motor now, and plan on possibly dropping that into a truck. (Or go with a rear wheel drive truck, standard cab and make a drag rig out of it.) SO much for daily driver eh? LOL
Good luck, keep your Supra, they are awsome cars and you'll never get out of it what you have into it, so enjoy it and know that everytime you toast off some newer car that is not paid for, your old dawg is a good deal.

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not going to drive it in the winter. Even with decent winter tires, it's a shitty car to be driven in snow. I couldn't even get outta my 60 ft driveway the other day. Also the body is eh, kinda rusted. Good ole canadian weather for ya.

Well it's not that i don't enjoy the car. Everytime i drive it i'm happy :) but whenever i drive it i worry. Rod knocks, overheating, BHG, balh blah blah vlah....stuff like that goes thorugh my head whenever i drive it. I've already had it towed 4 times since i've owned it. I drive my supra like a granny would drive her cutluss. Honestly. I hardly boost at all for some unknown reason. I just don't drive my car hard at all.

What i said above is probably the main reason why i should sell it. What's the point of having such a sweet expensive car if you're driving it like grandma does. Might as well buy a car that is a) better on gas b) better on insurance c) can drive in the winter d) cheap on repairs.

Like i said before i DO NOT want to sell it at ALL. That is why i made this thread. I don't know what i'm doing. I can't make up my mind. It's either keep the supra and just have it sit there or sell it and buy a truck and have a YEAR round car. See, i don't even know what i'm really talking about. Words are comming outta my ass.

Derek

1 - 20 of 21 Posts