Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
idk if there was a thread like this before but i wanted to make a thread to show the forgotten sports cars that never quite made it to iconic status due to some reason or another. feel free to post up cars you feel never got the credit they deserved with a picture and some backround info.

Mercedes 190E 16v AMG

these cars were produced from 1990-93 and the top dawg featured a 2.5 liter inline-4 that pumped out 235hp. The production was stopped after dismal sales compared to the M3 and this also marked the time mercedes began 'cutting corners' and decided to stop over-engineering there cars to save money. The cars bodykit though obnoxious serves to lower drag coefficient to .29 . Recaro seats were standard and the suspension system was upgraded. An LSD was also fitted to the 16valve car. In racing tune these engines were making as much as 420hp!

The Getrag 5-speed gearbox was unique to the 16 valve and featured a 'racing' gear pattern with 'dog-leg' first gear, left and down from neutral. This meant that the remaining 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears were in a simple H pattern allowing fast and easy selection.

[/b] Lotus Espirit v8

The lotus espirit in its top form featured a 350hp twin turbo 3.5 liter v8. throw in a sub-3000 pound chassis and you have a very quick car. 0-60 in about 4.1 seconds! thanks to the huge 285's on the back. the original was designed in 1976 by Giorgetto Giugiaro and have retained very similar styling cues. Many have modded the car to produce 500hp by simple boltons and upping the boost pressure from 12 psi . however the weak 5spd tranny usually cannot hold up to it.

however the key feature that the lotus provided was its price. as new the car was $80,000

Jaguar XJ220

The Jaguar xj220 was 16ft long, 3.75 ft tall, and over 6.5 ft wide...the car weighed in at 3000lbs and produced 550hp and 475 torque put to the ground by 345's on 18" rims. This was the fastest car in the world before the McLaren F1 debuted, topping the ferrari f40 and hitting 218mph. the engine, although more powerful and emmisions friendly, was shunned by many critics for being a twin turbo v6 instead of a roaring v12. only 281 were produced.

notable buyers include Elton John and rapper Jadakiss

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all im saying is it never got the recognition it deserved... it was always overshadowed by the porsche 911 or the ferrari 355

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts
all im saying is it never got the recognition it deserved... it was always overshadowed by the porsche 911 or the ferrari 355
Because its an inferior car, had the pleassure of having one of those thigns under my care for 3 months, and boy is it a piece of shit, I think if anything its a glorified kit car.

One car needed in that list would be a Vector. And the benzo its not ecxactly a sports car.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wholeheartedly agree with the 'forgotten-status' of the big cat. XJ220's reign as fastest manufactured car was short lived due to the arrival of McLaren's F1.

Another car I feel gets no love(except in its own circle) is the EB110 from Bugatti.
Everyone I talk to acts like the Veyron is thier first supercar and that its quad turbo setup has never been done before(1991 was the year that brought us the 110)....drives me crazy, because although not beautiful(on that note, neither is the 16:4..but ah well) the EB110 deserves to not be forgotten.

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
The EB110 looks like a super sportscar, not a damn bubble. Would take it over a veyron anyday, ill take the whole package, maybe slower and older but has a hell of a lot more class.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Cool thread. The Jaguar XJ220 is another car that I have lusted over for more than 13 years, as is the Bugatti EB110SS. The Jaguar, while incredibly large, has some of the best lines of any car ever. I am in love with the design. The EB110, while not classically beautiful, is attractive in its own right. Hell, with a quad-turbo 3.5-liter V-12 pumping out 611bhp (with an 8200 rpm redline iirc), a 6spd manual and all-wheel drive, what's not to love? Sure, the car was heavy, at almost 4000lbs, but it was laden with luxury and technology. It's almost amazing that the Veyron is only 400-500 lbs heavier.

It's funny. Looking at the pic above of the XJ220, I realized that quite a few of my "dream" car drawings as a kid were based on the XJ220.

The Vector (W8 and M12) definitely belongs in that list, as well as the Cizetta. The Isdera Commedatore 112i goes up there too , along with the TVR Speed 12. Even though the Isdera was never actually made and they only made like 1 or 2 Speed 12s, I think that these two cars made enough of a splash to be considered. It's hard to say what would have happened if the Lotus Omega were sold here, but either way, I think it belongs up there on the list.

*Off to watch Martin Brundle Supercars*

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
oh yeah i forgot about the TVR Speed 12

This was one of the baddest TVRs ever made. It was a 7.7 liter steel built v12 putting down 960hp at the wheels (although potential customers were told it was 800). In fact the first attempt to dyno the car broke the 1000hp dyno's input shaft. The car as a whole weighed about 2200lbs .

Owner of the company Peter Wheeler, an experienced race car driver, drove the car and felt that it was too dangerous for the type of people buying this car and cancelled production and gave back all the deposits. However one was built and sold in December 2006 for £155,200 on ebay after Peter Wheeler had met with the various candidates he though could actually handle the car.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I love this thread, I have loved all the cars listed in the thread so far.

Add this car that was finished, but has never seen production:

Isdera

Cizeta V16 Moroder

Ford GT90

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
The XJ220 was beautiful, but I suspect much like other olderish supercars it was probably not that fantastic to drive/own.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
The XJ220 was beautiful, but I suspect much like other olderish supercars it was probably not that fantastic to drive/own.
Yeah, that's why you could find it for like $200-300k a few years ago. I've heard it has bad brakes, heavy steering, no interior space and a balky shifter. I would really have to drive one though, and it would have to be a horrible car for me not to love it any more.

:lol: @ Lancia Prototype. Moonwalker FTW! Seriously though, I always forget about the Stratos. I think it is a cool ass little car with a great history. I like the Delta as well.

I forgot about the Cala and the GT90. I'll tell you what though, my favorite Ford concept car was the Indigo. That crap had me by the balls.
Now that I think about it, a lot of those cars were in Need For Speed 2. :lol:

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Anyone remember this?
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. I forgot about the Nazca C2. That was another damn concept car that I was in love with. I think that it is the most beautiful car BMW has ever had, concept or production (although the 850CSi gives it a run for its money).

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Aston Martin Virage Vantage.
twin supercharged v8 600hp

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most forgotten sports car- Studebaker Avanti-

1963 was the first year of production and are still produced in limited numbers today with the same basic design. The Avanti was designed to compete with the Corvette at the time. The base model R-1 had a 289 240hp V8, R-2 had a Paxton S/C that produced 289hp, R-3 was bored to 304.5 cubic inches, & the R-4 had dual S/Cers. It was ahead of its time being the first American car with standard front disc brakes, a fiberglass body, and in stock form broke Bonneville speed records (R-3 at 170.78 mph). My dad has a white '63 and although it takes some getting used to, it's a beautiful car in its own right. Here's a nice '63:

The Avanti went through many different manufacturers/owners over the years. During this time, the Avanti began using GM motors, from the 327 to the 350, then to the 305 (Avanti II). The Avanti also shared platforms with GM cars from the Monte Carlo to the F-Bodies. Currently, they are using Ford platforms (Probably from the Mustang) and their 4.6L V8:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts