Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the days when modifying imports came into fruitation, it seemed to be the high times of the industry. People were spending thousands of dollars modifying their cars; whether it came to intakes, exhausts, lights, bodykits to custom paintjobs and lambo doors. Things have certainly changed in todays era. More people are moving away from the FWD platform to RWD, turbo, and AWD marks. Bodykits, flashing lights are less apparent and the cleaner, uncluttered look is now more popular. Now that several shops have proven that high hp is extractable in small displacement motors, what is next in the industry? Street cars are becoming faster than drag cars and even faster than the fastest production cars, but as with everything else there is always a limit. Where is this industry going? Is the promise of big bucks as much as it used to be still there? If cars like Vipers, Gallardos, Vettes, Supras, Porsches, EVO's have all hit the 1000whp mark, what is next to look forward to? How many more years of 1000 whp and single digit cars are there? For anyone that wants to get into the industry is it already too late?

With the internet out there causing shops to be as competitive as ever, knock-off parts becoming more common, and with information becoming more readily available to EVERYONE, how are people in the industry staying afloat? With the click of a button, enthusiasts know where to find deals, how much leeway there is in pricing, and how to DIY. Is the hayday over? Has the internet revolution done more harm than good? Makes me wonder sometimes. Enthusiasts are become smarter everyday. People are more inclined to do their own wrenching, building, and tuning nowadays especially with the internet showing you exactly how its done. I think shops have a new challenge now. Slinging parts isn't as profitable as it used to be. Making your own parts/kits seem like the way to go, but how much longer can that last until its imitated and sold for less? Seems like a cut-throat industry. What are your thoughts?

·
!black
4,625 Posts
^ I'm game.

DIY: How to fit a M12 cap booster on your 2021 Toyota X17
DIY: Re-winding motors at home - under 50$ mod!

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
The aftermarket industry will be around for a while. There will always be people who tinker around with cars, so in turn there will always be a niche market for whatever you are interested in. Shops will always be around, no matter how many weekend garage mechanics there are out there. Your normal enthusiest will not have all the tools to all their own work. There are plenty of people that can do a turbo kit or any engine work in their own drive way. But when it came down to driveline work, most home mechanics will bring it in. I remember when I was working at a shop, about 75% of my work was doing clutches, torque converters, gears, and suspension installation. Then there are the people out there that want it done right, don't have the time, and have the money to do it and they will bring it to a shop to have it done. Small time shops that cater to only a small segment of the industry do not make as much, that is why you see a lot of the shops expanding their car lines.

As with almost everything, the automotive aftermarket is driven by how well the economy is doing. I think the only exception to the rule is the firearms market. It's at a all time frenzy right now. You can pretty much name your price and people will just about buy it.

·
mount /dev/disk1s10 FFUU
903 Posts
You will be seeing an even more aggressive push for people to be building their own turbo kits and more of a DIY type market..

Times have definitely changed..

·
Registered
96 Posts
DIY is here to stay and has never left.In Europe is more of a rule than expatiation to make your own manifolds downpipes and so on.Hopefully the scam shops who do terrible work will go under.The minimal as close to stock body look will be popular.It´ more about performance than out body kits and neons.The 1000 hp over the top cars will start to fade.And people will start to think about the weight suspension and brakes performance.It´ starting to get more and more expensive to keep up whit the highest HP figures.People are going to convert cars from and other expensive race fuels to smaller running on or pump gas.That said there is going to be all ways the crowd that is going to push the limits..More power to them.Becouse lets face it.People whit money connections etc..Will keep the after market alive.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Internet has changed the game for performance shops in terms for general maintenance. People with some sort of mechanical skill can perform trivial maintenances at their garages. However, specialized skills in re-building engine, suspension tuning, and fabrication will still require a shop to perform (assuming they possess a certain skill). As mentioned earlier, people who can perform their own work, but doesn’t have the time will send it to a shop.

The shops that have a specialized skill will always be in demand, the ones that are mediocre in everything and master of none will most likely fade into oblivion.

·
Registered
211 Posts
IMO, the Heyday has come and gone. Once California type smog testing is done, cars are ticketed on sight, and street racing becomes a automatic impound and loss of your vehicle that will be the end.

Either more tracks will be build or the car scene will slowly die. 30yrs from now estimates are 50% of cars will be battery powered.

IMO, the future will suck for the car enthusiast.

·
can you not
2,089 Posts
IMO, the future will suck for the car enthusiast.
Not necessarily. My opinion is that there will still be a place for classics in the future, but our interests will evolve along with the vehicles available.

Just like with RC... I was hardcore into nitro planes because I thought electrics were stupid. Now that prices are dropping like rocks + the advent of brushless motors and Lipo batteries which make them FLYABLE, I'm all over them like ugly on Frodo.

My point being that we will grow with the market and adjust to whatever comes along. That doesn't mean we won't still prefer turbo internal combustion engines, but I honestly believe that the future is bright for us car people.

Imagine how much you'll save on race gas when a pit stop means doing a dump charge into your lithium battery packs and taking off again :D Plus, instant torque... anywhere...

If you think the aftermarket won't keep up with the times, you gots another thing coming :bigthumb:

Unless, of course, we knock ourselves back to the Stone Age, which is just as probable :sadance:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
5-15 years = Building aftermarket to extract power from battery/electrical hybrids

15-25 years = The aftermarket perfection of fully automated systems ( you can run 9's while reading the newspaper )

30-beyond = Technology based on gravitational fields / hovercraft systems. More effieciently creating a flow of traffic as population growth exceeds road capability

.....Or we just end up like Wall-E with piles of busted ass cars everywhere meanwhile we kill each other.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts