Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a curious thought I have. What is good or bad in having 19inch wheels in the back and 18's in the front? It just crossed my mind while just comparing the new viper and the z06. Both of them have 19's in the back and 18's in the front.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
bad-

extra wieght
smaller sidewalls
increased overall diameter
limited r compound selection

good-

if you're into the bling thing, i guess this would float your boat...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, basically there is no benefit in terms of performance and the vette and the viper has that setup just for the bling effect....

Thanks for answering my question turbomx5.:)

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
there is no benifit for the supra.

I don't know the vette and viper. The were designed from the ground up with that wheel/tire combo. I suspect the trend of low profile tires does play a large roll in what they picked...

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
I don't believe they all have that combo do they? (new vette that is)
I know that locally one is waiting for rear slicks since Hoosier doesn't have the 19 out yet, but the other guys have Hoosiers on their 18 F & R. One is the Z51 others are Z06.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
you will get much worse gas milage as well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i'm running 19s all around for the street and I didn't notice that big a difference from 18s in terms of handling. I do feel the road a bit more because of the small sidewall. However, I'm sure 18s would be better on the track. The only advantage I can see with putting 19s in the rear and 18s in the front is to help balance the car further. The car is normally around 52/48 front to rear respectively so perhaps the extra weight in the rear may serve a purpose. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think we can dismiss the 18f/19r combo out of hand - somebody would need to test it on a Supra. I've run a variety of setups - 17f16r, 17f17r, 18f17r on my Supra and I settled on the 18f17r. In front, you get a wide tire with short sidewall (added steering response), and in the rear you get a wide tire with (relatively) large sidewall (better compliance when hooking up). However, I also have an '03 Z06 - on 17f18r - and it offers a very good ride/handling/hook-up balance. I've driven the new Z06 with the 18f/19r combo and it excels in ride/handling/hook-up as well.

As has been pointed out, the new cars are designed to take advantage of the big wheel/tire diameters, but it's not out of the realm of possibility to think we could get a Supra to work with the same setup (18/19). It would take a lot of experimentation with spring rates, shock valving, alignment, etc.

It does seem a little counter-intuitive though - I'd want to try a 19f/18r before I tried an 18f/19r.

Kent Rafferty
93-gt35r

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
I've noticed a couple of local hot shoes use setups like this (FWD's that I've noticed)
Would an advantage be seen using a slightly taller rear tire of the same dia.?

·
Registered
473 Posts
prsrcokr said:
I've noticed a couple of local hot shoes use setups like this (FWD's that I've noticed)
Would an advantage be seen using a slightly taller rear tire of the same dia.?
i'm no expert, but from my experience a slightly taller sidewall gives you more traction off the line because the tire has some give to it. Drag racing is a perfect example. They use massive sidewalls on the rear. Check out a video of a drag car in slow motion and you can see how much the rear tire gives in relation to the rim. I went from 18s to 19s and a smaller sidewall and noticed this. I compensated by going with a stickier tire. A slightly taller sidewall will also offer a bit of give in cornering which helps those that are less experienced in reading the car's attitude through a corner. I'm sure there are some physics at play as well, but I'm not educated to that extent to comment. Look at F1 cars. They have a pretty substantial sidewall and small diameter rim. There's a lot of weight saving in that setup, less rotational mass and the tires have enough give through the corners to absorb any small imperfections in the road. Keep in mind F1 tires are highly reinforced in the sidewall to sustain the performance levels that are on demand for a 2 hr race at pretty insane speeds.

For me it's finding a happy balance between looks and road handling. If i was purely racing I'd go for 18s with a relatively taller tire, but on the street 19s with low profile looks sweet! my 2.5 cents :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
it will increase understeer or reduce oversteer... however u wanna see it. (also assumption as u width is also changing)

·
Registered
244 Posts
mifesto said:
it will increase understeer or reduce oversteer... however u wanna see it. (also assumption as u width is also changing)

i was thinking the same thing...smaller tires in front=oversteer?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
onlylexus8 said:
i was thinking the same thing...smaller tires in front=oversteer?
But that's not diameter related, it's width related.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts