developed dual-stage electronically controlled, continuously variable
transmission. It will deliver power and performance on par with modern
12-cylinder engines, producing more than 430 horsepower while still
delivering fuel efficiency equal to or better than the combined
fuel-economy ratings of V6 all-wheel-drive mid-sized luxury sedans. The LS
600h L will also carry a Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) rating,
emitting nearly 70 percent fewer emissions than the "cleanest" of its
competitors."

err when did lexus become a $100K car company? Obviously this will be a very low volume production model which I doubt will be considered a "success".

·
Registered
830 Posts
Humm..if it performs like other Lexus hybrids I'm gussing you will get about 1 or 2 mpg more than a standard non-hybrid Lexus.

Sam

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
It'll be a success because its a new niche market car.... they know they won't sell many of them. This is a halo car. It'll be very difficult to get one because they'll be sold out... I believe the first years supply has already been purchased.

Lexus became a $100k car company when they began to offer something that no one else could and matched and beat all their rivals in build quality and interior design. Where were you? If you want more opinions of this car, go check out clublexus.com and the rest of the internet for reviews on this car. Its success has already been assured. You'll see hollywoodites driving this car around instead of their Prius and RX400h. Where's Nissan's hybrid at? Oh yeah, the Altima, using previous-generation Toyota equipment.

BPUKiller,

don't be stupid, please? Act your age and quit overgeneralizing. You KNOW what you said isn't true.

·
Registered
830 Posts
BPUKiller,

don't be stupid, please? Act your age and quit overgeneralizing. You KNOW what you said isn't true.

Why is a 26 year old telling me I'm being stupid and act my age? Not sure how I'm overgeneralizing. I had a RX330 that got 22 MPG every day driving. I recently read a RX400h review and they got 24 mpg.

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/12526/lexus-rx400h-awd.html

Sure my RX330 was FWD and and down a few poines, but why spend all that extra money if you are going to burn similar amounts of gas? Same goes with the GS450h...not much an improvement over buying GS350.

Sam

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Hey Sam, long time no see.

I know someone with an RX400X and they get around 32 MPG. If you drive it like you stole it (like magazines do) then yes 24 MPG is all you'll get.

As far as when Lexus became a $100K car company, when they started building cars that embarrass $120K+ MB's and BMW's in refinement and quality and offered a product to compete with those cars. The LS600HL is that car and then some and yes it will be low volume as are MB S600's, 760IL's, etc.

Why is a 26 year old telling me I'm being stupid and act my age? Not sure how I'm overgeneralizing. I had a RX330 that got 22 MPG every day driving. I recently read a RX400h review and they got 24 mpg.

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/12526/lexus-rx400h-awd.html

Sure my RX330 was FWD and and down a few poines, but why spend all that extra money if you are going to burn similar amounts of gas? Same goes with the GS450h...not much an improvement over buying GS350.

Sam

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
MPG on a hybrid has a lot to do with how and where you drive it. I borrowed my co-worker's Prius and got nowhere near the same mpg he claimed. Lead foot + hybrid = no.

Btw... can you post a bigger picture? I can barely see it.

·
95 Supra TT, Cayenne TT
124 Posts

I know someone with an RX400X and they get around 32 MPG. If you drive it like you stole it (like magazines do) then yes 24 MPG is all you'll get.

As far as when Lexus became a $100K car company, when they started building cars that embarrass $120K+ MB's and BMW's in refinement and quality and offered a product to compete with those cars. The LS600HL is that car and then some and yes it will be low volume as are MB S600's, 760IL's, etc.
Lexus "embarrassed" the S-Class?? Cmon, are you being serious?

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Let see, am I serious.......YES. Look at the reliability ratings MB has been getting..... And the refinement levels of the LS are above and beyond the S Class, as was the last LS's as well.

Lexus "embarrassed" the S-Class?? Cmon, are you being serious?

·
2014 E63 S
2,517 Posts
I had both a RX400h and RX330. The RX400h consistently got around 24 mpg, and i drove it hard. The RX330 got around 17 mpg, and I drove it hard the same way.

There are numerous threads on bad gas mileage of the 330 in the Lexus forums, and most people consistently got less than 20 mpg.

Don't forget the Hybrid has a greater performance than the gasoline versions. The RX400h was a full 1 second faster in the quarter mile than the 330. The new 350RX closed that gap slightly. The hybrid is like having a minature turbo in the car.

I have no doubt the 600h will be a blast to drive.

·
Registered
675 Posts
the 400h definitely gets better MPG (5+) than the 330...my mother drives the latter and her friend drives the former.

i personally love the way the LS looks....it's just so elegant...

·
Ready. Set. Gone.
4,832 Posts
Eh...Lexus is stepping it up...but isn't quite there yet.

IMO, Lexus' cars need another gen before they "embarass" anything coming out of Mercedes and BMW.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
This car will feature extensive use of LED lights even in the front. In addition to low power consumption, it'll have 50,000 hours of life or last 100 years under normal auto use!!! Right now Audi and Lexus are pushing LED fronts.

Only way this can cause an accident is if mainstream people curiously stare at their rearviews too long while trying to figure out what road UFO approaches them from behind.

http://www.fareastgizmos.com/other_...ave_an_led_headlight_employing_white_leds.php

·
Touch me down there
165 Posts
MPG on a hybrid has a lot to do with how and where you drive it. I borrowed my co-worker's Prius and got nowhere near the same mpg he claimed. Lead foot + hybrid = no.

Btw... can you post a bigger picture? I can barely see it.
what MPG did you get? i was thinkin of pickin one of these up as the winter rat/ long trip whip.. but i have a lead foot as well

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
When it comes to refinement and quality they have been embarassing MB and BMW for quite some time.

I think Lexus should have made this jump with the last LS. They were overdue for stepping it up to this leve.

Eh...Lexus is stepping it up...but isn't quite there yet.

IMO, Lexus' cars need another gen before they "embarass" anything coming out of Mercedes and BMW.

·
Registered
51 Posts

The best we got from rx400h was around 28 with babying it most of the time time. Average driving yielded only aound 24~25 Does your friend only drive down the hills? :dunno:

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
They drive to maximize gas mileage. Easy take offs, coasting to red lights as opposed to what most people do which is slow down on the last 100 feet, etc. they have had "bad" gas mileage tanks too in the ~26 MPG range when they have driven more aggressively with lots of highway cruising.

The best we got from rx400h was around 28 with babying it most of the time time. Average driving yielded only aound 24~25 Does your friend only drive down the hills? :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
10,527 Posts
Ran into an RX400h this morning on the way to work. I chatted up the owner at a gas station. Her husband has tracked the mileage of their vehicle since they took delivery of it (27,xxx miles total). Overall, with lots of freeway driving, they are averaging 26.7 mpg, with a best of 33.1 mpg, FWIW.

I predict nothing currently available will touch this car when it's finally released. No matter the mileage, the eco-friendly hybrid status of such a top-of-the-line vehicle will be more important than actual mileage to those that can afford it. With "more than 430 bhp, it should be a good performer despite its length and weight. After all, the GS 350 h is a 0-60 in 5.1-seconds vehicle...

Ken.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts