Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys know I make turbo manifolds for living so I'd like to share some of my work with you. Here is a manifold I am building for a member on this forum. He is running a twin scroll 67mm turbo. We are going to set it up with twin 44mm wastegates. 2JZGTE in a MK3!! Our goal is for fastest spool possible with lots of power on top as well. I started with very low angle collectors and also took some time doing some port work. I have some runners tacked up as you can see but the configuration might change. More to come....

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a manifold I am working on for myself. Also a 67mm twin 44mm wastegate but I am open scroll. I am using slightly bigger tubing on mine.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
WOW good shit man...i wish i could make mmy own manifold
how much do u sell them for

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Why twin 44's for a 67?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
My understanding:

According to "hardcore" twin scrollers (e.g. Geoff of FullRace) on a twin scroll setup if you want to keep it "true twin scroll" you have to have a wastegate on each side. Connecting the two sides into one wastegate compromises the claimed advantages of keeping the cylinder firing pulses separated.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
availability to upgrade?
When the time comes where you need twin 44's, either you are running the wrong turbo or its time to step up to t6.
However, Im not into the whole 12 different boost settings. The sunday drive setting. The sunday drive setting with mommy and daddy too far back to see me showing off setting. The sunday drive setting with mommy and daddy too far back to see me showing off so I want to drift at 60mph setting. And the list goes on and on.

Lets be real here, a 44 should be adequate to controll pressure on up to an 80mm. Because if you really need to be able to run 15psi, then you dont need to be wasting time with all the extra lag when there is no need. Do a 67 and spray, or whatever route you wish to take.

Just my thinking on the whole deal. Carry on, header looks good so far

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the time comes where you need twin 44's, either you are running the wrong turbo or its time to step up to t6.
However, Im not into the whole 12 different boost settings. The sunday drive setting. The sunday drive setting with mommy and daddy too far back to see me showing off setting. The sunday drive setting with mommy and daddy too far back to see me showing off so I want to drift at 60mph setting. And the list goes on and on.

Lets be real here, a 44 should be adequate to controll pressure on up to an 80mm. Because if you really need to be able to run 15psi, then you dont need to be wasting time with all the extra lag when there is no need. Do a 67 and spray, or whatever route you wish to take.

Just my thinking on the whole deal. Carry on, header looks good so far
A properly built manifold will not control an 80mm turbo with just a single 44mm wastegate. Lets be real here. Maybe if your base spring is set at 30psi than yes it will hold. But we are talking about a street car running on pump gas with a little bit of weekend racing. I have had customers that did not want to spend the extra money for twin wastegates and ended up boost creeping to the moon. 1 bar spring turned out to be 30+ psi. But I have also seen a cheap ebay manifolds with the same setup hold 1 bar which leads me to believe it has alot to do with how good the manifolds can flow. Obviously cheap ebay manifolds are not made to flow so it can probably hold 3psi:) Twin wastegates is cheap insurance in case the manifold outflows a single. And yes, also in case you go bigger later

·
Inline for the win
4,740 Posts
A properly built manifold will not control an 80mm turbo with just a single 44mm wastegate. Lets be real here. Maybe if your base spring is set at 30psi than yes it will hold. But we are talking about a street car running on pump gas with a little bit of weekend racing. I have had customers that did not want to spend the extra money for twin wastegates and ended up boost creeping to the moon. 1 bar spring turned out to be 30+ psi. But I have also seen a cheap ebay manifolds with the same setup hold 1 bar which leads me to believe it has alot to do with how good the manifolds can flow. Obviously cheap ebay manifolds are not made to flow so it can probably hold 3psi:) Twin wastegates is cheap insurance in case the manifold outflows a single. And yes, also in case you go bigger later
Is your assumption actually based on calculation of the flow characteristics of the exhaust gases or preliminary guesstimate of your homemade designs?

Not to be rude, just making sure you are basing it off factual fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and heat transfer.

Most of the manifolds I have seen have POOR entry to sample the exhaust gases.

DP

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
IMO, a turbo should be setup to OPERATE IN ITS EFFICIENCY RANGE ANYTIME UNDER WOT CONDITIONS ITS WHOLE LIFE OR YOU SHOULD STEP DOWN AND SPRAY IT. So, YES a 80mm with a good 44 sitting at above 30psi(which is WHERE an 80 SHOULD be kept) will have NO issue with creep, PERIOD. If you are trying to run 16psi with an 80, you chose the wrong turbo

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is your assumption actually based on calculation of the flow characteristics of the exhaust gases or preliminary guesstimate of your homemade designs?

Not to be rude, just making sure you are basing it off factual fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and heat transfer.

Most of the manifolds I have seen have POOR entry to sample the exhaust gases.

DP
My assumptions are based off of my 1000+ manifolds I have built in my days:) Real life experiences and struggles we go through on a dyno that we have in our shop. Also comparisons to other manifolds on the market for that particular engine.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I did change the configuration of the runners a bit to make it more equal length since fast spool is or goal. I will have some more progress pics later this week

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
beautiful manifold! How much time does it take to make one of those?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
OP,

great looking manifold! craftsmanship looks outstanding! PM me approx pricing? TIA.

... However, Im not into the whole 12 different boost settings. The sunday drive setting. The sunday drive setting with mommy and daddy too far back to see me showing off setting. The sunday drive setting with mommy and daddy too far back to see me showing off so I want to drift at 60mph setting. And the list goes on and on...
reminds me of a previous comment of yours; one of my all-time SF's favorites, something like...

"what's with all this 'low boost, 'high' boost, 'part' boost talk? whenever i drive my car i'm on 'whatever-this-motherfucker-will-make' boost!"

agreed. my car doesn't roll on less than 30psi.

DP
great post! is always cool to find others who appreciate the value of objective data.

... If you are trying to run 16psi with an 80, you chose the wrong turbo
/thread.

craig

1 - 20 of 28 Posts