Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to help clarify the whole P-type and L-type for everybody. Just to let you all know I'm new to this forum! I have had my mk2 for a year now. I have been researching it forever. So here goes all the quick info on it(mk2):

L-type:
82-84 the L-type came with 14x5.5 rims that were used on the regular celicas. They did NOT have the fender flares. They also do not have the 8-way adjustable sport seats. They were available in either 5 speed or 4-speed auto. Digital Dash with a Trip computer were optional only on the L-type. Did not have Limited Slip

P-type:
Has always had the sport seats, 14x7 rims, flares and headlight washers(option, but was not available on the L-type).This was also available witha 4-speed auto or a 5-speed manual. The wing was also only available on the p-type. Did have limited Slip

Year differences:

82:
first year of sale. The had the original steering wheel and the always had a black hatch and bumper regardless of color. Speedometer went up to 85 mph. The p-type could not have leather. They came out with 3.73 gears. Also it debuted with 145 horsepower. Also in 1982 models there was no power antenna instead a glass antenna was used.

83: No changes accept for the addition of TCCS, and the p-type could now have leather, and the addition of the power antenna.

84: In 1984 it gets tricky, all automatic and L-type supras came rated with a 150 h.p. and all 5-speed p-types had 160 h.p. Now this was the first year where the front turn signals were wrapped around. It also got a new steering wheel, cruise control was moved to a stalk on the steering column, and a more aggressive front air dam was installed. Now the gear ratios changed as well. 5-speeds got 4.30 gears while automatics recieved 4.10 gears. Also the mk2 recieved a hatch sticker that went all the way acroos it that said "SUPRA"

85: All mk2's now had 161 h.p., they also recieved a new spoiler that went the length of the hatch. The l-types, also got new rims they looked exactly like p-type rims, but were in a 15x6 version and were silver clear coat painted. Not many know this, but 85s had heated mirrors which are activated with the rear defroster.

86: The last year, the only change was a CHMSL on the spoiler to conform to federal regulations.

Keep in mind there were color changes through thius time.

hope that helps.

joe

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
might have forgot somethings, so here is one in 84 they switched to the 130 mph speedo.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Toyota4555 said:
might have forgot somethings, so here is one in 84 they switched to the 130 mph speedo.
You should be able to edit your post, Joe. :) Just add it in.

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
you also forgot how the 83 had the Power door locks on the center, near the fog lights, and how they were moved to
the driver side door (not sure if it was moved on the 84, but i
think i was)

:cool:

·
Registered
717 Posts
my 83celica has it on the center console...

wow... i havent used that sucker in a while. i always just flip my door lock and it's automatically makes the other door do likewise

·
Registered
942 Posts
Sounds about right but a couple things I noticed.
1. In some year the digital dash became an option for the PType. I know this because I've owned an 85 ptype with the digital (I assume 84 would have been the year).

2. My 82 (and an early 82 at that, made in 81) came with a power antenna. However it may have been added at some point but it always definatly had the proper holes for it. It has the cable in the firewall to attach the window antenna and the normal one for the power, but I suspect that one was added. I have looked for this cable at wreckers so I could convert my 86 to a window antenna but I could only find it on some celicas. And the celicas that did have it did not have the holes in the rear quater for the power antenna, like my 82 does. I also gave up on this idea cause I'd have to remove the whole dash to install it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P-types had the digi dash?? Hrrrmmmm.. I did not know that! Thanks for the telling us. Did it have the trip computer??

·
Registered
942 Posts
Never ever even seen a trip computer, that must be the rarest of all options on mk2s. I have seen several ptypes with digital dashes though, it was no hack job. I should mention that I've never seen an american ptype with one, but I haven't seen that many ameircan mk2s anyways so that doesn't mean anything. I"m sure its the same in both countries.

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Canandian LTypes had a LSD available. Dean Anderson in ON has one in his '83 LType, and it came that way.

Im a big fan of his car. 83 5sp, LSD having LType.

I

·
0 Posts
i have an 84 and an 83 p-type. 84 is an american car, and the 83 is canadian, with digital dash, not sure if there is a trip computer tho.

M

·
0 Posts
85 p-type or L-type

Is the only difference between the 85 p-type and L-type is the p-type has a 1 inch wider wheel?

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Re: 85 p-type or L-type

mxkjk2 said:
Is the only difference between the 85 p-type and L-type is the p-type has a 1 inch wider wheel?
Heck no... read the information above.

D

·
0 Posts
Very Good info to know.

I am a newbie from upstate NY and without this forum I would be one lost dude. I bought a white 1984 in pretty good shape for 550.00 including a rear & side skirt ground effects package. I dont think I would of bought the car if I didn`t become a member of this forum. Thanks everyone. Anyone having information, clips, how to's, etc on the 84 supra....feel free to send them to me. I can use all the help I can get restoring this beast.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts

·
Rage Your Dream...
1,408 Posts
I have seen the legendary trip computer! It consists of two parts. One is mounted on the left side of the console, level with where the steering wheel goes into the dash. Don't remember what it does. The other side has four buttons with lots of little functions. Judging by the owner's behavior, you need the manual if you want to know how it works...'cause it's complex. However, it's REALLY COOL to see....I WANT ONE IN MY '83 P-TYPE!

S

·
0 Posts
84 supra

My 84 had a 3.73 rear gear in it. The door locks were on the doors.
As far as the rear gear being LSD I don't beleive it was, as it would leave two tire tracks during burn outs.
Car was completely stock except for the stereo and the non power antenna.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Re: 84 supra

Srider said:
As far as the rear gear being LSD I don't beleive it was, as it would leave two tire tracks during burn outs.
If it leaves two tracks it has an LSD

S

·
0 Posts
LSD

I was under the impression that LSD (Limited Slip) was where only one tire would spin (one wheel wonder is what we called them in high school) and positraction was both wheels turn.

Thanks for the info! :)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts