Supra Forums banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1983 MK2 P-Type, though it does have one small digital readout below the speedometer, don't know what it does because it doesn't work, but all the rest of my gauges (Speedometer, RPM, Gas, Temp, Oil) are analog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 1986 Supra shell. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas I want a more powerful engine and to convert it to the manual trasmission. I would also like to know if there are any VERY GOOD mechanics in the NYC area. Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just purchased a 1986 Supra shell. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas I want a more powerful engine and to convert it to the manual trasmission. I would also like to know if there are any VERY GOOD mechanics in the NYC area. Thanks
7mgte drops right in, and the engine harness is easy to install on a MK2. You'll have to do some pounding of the firewall to get the r154 trans in though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to help clarify the whole P-type and L-type for everybody. Just to let you all know I'm new to this forum! I have had my mk2 for a year now. I have been researching it forever. So here goes all the quick info on it(mk2):

L-type:
82-84 the L-type came with 14x5.5 rims that were used on the regular celicas. They did NOT have the fender flares. They also do not have the 8-way adjustable sport seats. They were available in either 5 speed or 4-speed auto. Digital Dash with a Trip computer were optional only on the L-type. Did not have Limited Slip

P-type:
Has always had the sport seats, 14x7 rims, flares and headlight washers(option, but was not available on the L-type).This was also available witha 4-speed auto or a 5-speed manual. The wing was also only available on the p-type. Did have limited Slip

Year differences:

82:
first year of sale. The had the original steering wheel and the always had a black hatch and bumper regardless of color. Speedometer went up to 85 mph. The p-type could not have leather. They came out with 3.73 gears. Also it debuted with 145 horsepower. Also in 1982 models there was no power antenna instead a glass antenna was used.

83: No changes accept for the addition of TCCS, and the p-type could now have leather, and the addition of the power antenna.

84: In 1984 it gets tricky, all automatic and L-type supras came rated with a 150 h.p. and all 5-speed p-types had 160 h.p. Now this was the first year where the front turn signals were wrapped around. It also got a new steering wheel, cruise control was moved to a stalk on the steering column, and a more aggressive front air dam was installed. Now the gear ratios changed as well. 5-speeds got 4.30 gears while automatics recieved 4.10 gears. Also the mk2 recieved a hatch sticker that went all the way acroos it that said "SUPRA"

85: All mk2's now had 161 h.p., they also recieved a new spoiler that went the length of the hatch. The l-types, also got new rims they looked exactly like p-type rims, but were in a 15x6 version and were silver clear coat painted. Not many know this, but 85s had heated mirrors which are activated with the rear defroster.

86: The last year, the only change was a CHMSL on the spoiler to conform to federal regulations.

Keep in mind there were color changes through thius time.

hope that helps.

joe
6B8E4CB3-EDB8-44E5-B986-CC135D6C23A5.jpeg

81 - 86 of 86 Posts