Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Supra or Nothing
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have about 6000 dollars saved up just for my 86.5 NA Supra. As of right now, I'm considering swapping the engine to a turbo and later on adding a bodykit, new lights, guages, new seats, new dash/trim, new rims.

Anyone have an idea how much my project will come out to be... I want good quality, but for a reasonable price. Anyone know of a website that I can use to buy some of these products from and where I would be able to get a turbo for the MK3.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
No.

Spend your $6k elsewhere.

Like a downpayment for a 98-04 BMW 3 series, Lex IS300, Nissan 300Z, Mercedez SLK320, etc.....

They're pimp rides.

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
If you have 6,000 saved up, go and sell ur n/a and then just buy a turbo car to begin with. You can get a really nice supra that u dont need to fix the parts that u decsribe for about $6,000. Then you have the money u sold your n/a for and can start the moding from there.

D
0 Posts
skeeter019 said:
If you have 6,000 saved up, go and sell ur n/a and then just buy a turbo car to begin with. You can get a really nice supra that u dont need to fix the parts that u decsribe for about $6,000. Then you have the money u sold your n/a for and can start the moding from there.
Yea, that would be the best way to go. Just know what to look for when buying the other supra, so you dont put yourself in my position.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Id just buy a car thats already modded, just make sure its legit. Remember that a ger 3 supra is a bad investment.

~scott

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't know, out of all of the car's i've own....

88 Celica GT
92 Subaru SVX
92 Nissan 300Z
and 90 Supra Turbo.

----------------------

The supra has got to be the most unreliable car i've ever own. It actually spent more time in the garage than actual on the road. Like out of the year, it'll be spending 6 months in the garage getting shit fixed.

If i have $6k to get a car, i'll definitely would not get another supra (MKIII).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
its all about the owner, its a toyota, it is a reliable car. you just have to take care of it and not cut corners anywhere. but to the topic, sell ur n/a and buy a turbo then mod it, the resale value will also be alot better.

·
Take it!
996 Posts
scottiedawg66 said:
Id just buy a car thats already modded, just make sure its legit. Remember that a ger 3 supra is a bad investment.

~scott
Toyota cars are not a bad investment and they are all reliable, it all depends on the owner and how that person takes care of of it. With the MK3 Supra it requires constant maintenance and according to Toyota its one of Toyota's classic GT models. Supras are known for BHG, because there is too much power output and people go abusing the car because of boost and how much speed it puts out. All i have to say is Toyota is one of the most reliable car manufacturers people can trust!

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
Kroze said:
I don't know, out of all of the car's i've own....

88 Celica GT
92 Subaru SVX
92 Nissan 300Z
and 90 Supra Turbo.

----------------------

The supra has got to be the most unreliable car i've ever own. It actually spent more time in the garage than actual on the road. Like out of the year, it'll be spending 6 months in the garage getting shit fixed.

If i have $6k to get a car, i'll definitely would not get another supra (MKIII).
I'll have to agree with you on that. I had a mkiii for 3 years, and had about 6 months of road time.

Go spend your $6k and buy a 240sx and drop a sr20 into it. very reliable, and you could get a shell for $500-1000, and an SR kit for about $2500. And if you don't like it, you can sell an sr'd 240 for about $4500-5500, so you wouldn't lose money.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
Good luck with your project. Don't let some of these guys get you down.

Use the search button and do a lot of reading before you start buying stuff.

Use should be able to do quite a bit with 6K.

Dan

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
hmm.. with 6 grand i'd have one pretty fast na :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
if your looking to do a turbo on a na, urban customs is selling his motor with upgrades and single turbo and intercooler kit.. its a hell of a kit. give me a pm or hit me on aim mmkwakmm

·
SUPRAF0RUMS TROLL
1,610 Posts
1jzSupraGuy said:
go 1jz, you'll never regret it.
o shut up(in british accent)... look im sick and tired of you guys promoting the 1jz... yes it is more "technologically advanced" than the 7m but who the fuck cares... all it is is more computer control and a little bit more power... whoo 50 horses... slap on a new turbo kit for the 7m and you will make tons more power... aftermarket support is also lean on the 1jz compared to the 7m... hes on a budget man ... i went 2jz bc i wanted something different... but 7m is still the best option when ur on a budget... if i stayed with the 7m i would have spend 50 percent less and my car would be up and running by now... if ur going to autocross... 1jz it... if its just street power and you want to beat up on mustangs and camaros... the 7m will suffice...

·
MySpace
110 Posts
Just wandering. Chicagosupra have you ever drove out to mishawaka, Indiana (1-1/2hr drive) a weekend or 2 ago? I talked to a spanish looking guy about selling a 7m engine that was turbo for around $300-$500.

·
Registered
929 Posts
hey man, i'm just giving him my opinion and opening the field up a little. With $6000, he can do a lot even after the 1jz swap. As he stated above, he's got the car already and has $6000 to spend. Clips from Jarco can cost upwards to $3500 and that minus his budget and other misc. for the swap still leaves him with about $2000 to spare on whatever he wants, and $2000 can get you a pretty nice set up that'll easily take out a majority of what you see on the streets. i know a few of the guys on here who lost of lot of power when switching to 1jz and still like the 1jz better. but it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts