Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Supraddict
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something I've been brainstorming for a while now, but as Supra owners chase higher dyno numbers and quicker 1/4 mile times, I can't help but think about the "real" Supras...ones that made a difference in the automitive world and an impact on the Supra community. Some are 1400whp drag cars, others are BPU corner carvers, but here are MY most memorable Supras. Feel free to add to the list if one particular one stood out and made a difference to you....

1. The Getaway in Stockholm 2 Supra. This is it, the most badass Supra ever. It carved the corners of Stockholm and went 180+ on the highway for the last stretch of that infamous, law breaking film. All this with "only" 450 rwhp. In the world of big turbo dyno queens, this is in reality the King. Its the epitomy of what the Supra was meant to do, go fast, go very fast, and do it well. Its since been further modified and sold to a new owner, but this will forever be the most memorable MKIV.

2. Ken Henderson's Do-Luck Widebodied, 3.4L, HKS 3240 Twin turboe'd, menacing black Supra. Probably the most overbuilt MKIV on the planet, and the most lusted after Supra in the community. His attitude is also something to be recognized within the community, a stand up guy.

3. SW's 1995 T-72 Supra. With a little over 750 at the wheels, he drove his own car to a 9.8 quarter at over 150 miles an hour, with a six speed....years ago. Widely touted to be the most beautiful MKIV ever built, it was an ideal combination of show and go.

4. Vinny Ten's Supra. Vinny Ten himself is most definately one of the pioneers of Toyota Supra performance. If there wasn't a part available for his car, he built it. He built and raced his Supra to be the first in the 12's, 11's, 10's, 9's, and 8's. Quite an accomplishment, and one that is more than deserving to be remembered within the community

5. Marko Djuric's infamous White Supra. This full interior, street driven Supra put down 1,520rwhp...through an auto. It ran 8.45 at over 160 miles an hour on a lower boost setting than the one that set the all time dyno record for the MKIV Supra. Quite possibly the most powerful street car in the world.

6. The Walser Supra. Named after the Toyota dealership in Minnesota that it was purchased from, this was the original bike killer. Famed for putting bus lengths on both stock and modded Hayabusas, this '95 HKS Twin car is probably the most famous Supra in the world, thanks to the internet. Though the car may be gone, legends never die.

7. Ryan Woon's '98 Quicksilver Supra. Take the most desirable Supra in the world, add the most sought after and tasteful modifications throughout, and you'll end up with this car. Add to that the fact that it runs 8's with the factory six speed, and this is probably the all around hottest Supra built.

8. Kerr's Widebody. The meanest MKIV ever, period.

9. (Edit) I'd like to add this one, a personal favorite of mine. It seems that, in my attempts to make this list well rounded, its still predominantly high power straight line cars. I think this is because the road course guys are overshadowed and I can only hope they become more vocal in the future. This one should go up in my mind, the GSC Supra. On 19" CCW's and not so grippy Pirelli's, this car was still shockingly fast around Roebling Road for a street car. Every time I feel the Supra is too one sided, I watch the video of this car peforming in the hands of Leh Keen, and all my faith in this other worldly car is restored

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Very well written and explained. I don't think I could do any better or change the list much.
Only other one might be the Titan Supra. One of the worlds fastest street tire Supras at [email protected] It's not the fastest anymore, but this thing's been around since '98 getting faster and faster, changing looks, and driveline parts to achieve it's goals. I think of it as a street tire icon that many enthusiasts and racers chased after for years.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
I would agree with your choices. The note about Ken's personality is so true. Seems like the most humble person, and never talks any trash about anything. All while having one of the most coveted Supras in the community.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very well done. :) some bad ass supras!!!!

·
Supraddict
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it

ReI86 said:
Where the hell is Efantis's Supra?

Or that blueish greenish Rhy Millan's car?
Please feel free to add those that you believe to be influential in any way. These were merely those that made an impact on me, and in some cases, many others.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
great post,

may i add a few cars of my own,

andi b. famous for the 1 lap qs supra

manabu orido : famed jgtc supra driver and about the only consistant firm supporter of the supra in Japan

Jun Akira Supra: land speed record holder for an ammount of time, hit 249mph at the salt flats in utah, w/ supposedly plenty more to go.

Edwin's HKS gt2835's car. This car debuted in road and track driven by Mario Andretti and recieved high high praises among the top cars of its time , mclaren f1 included.

Top Secret Widebody 3sgte car: quite possibly the car that pushed the envelope of japanese tuning.

Veilside supra: the body kit that would soon appear on every damn car in the world. Back in 94, this was the hottest looking car evvvvvver.

Pikes peak hill climb champion supra (rod millen/ rhys millen )

Blitz Nurburgring supra 7:21 second run
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/0...Nurburgring.htm

Titan Motorsports supra: nuff said.
( it's a sin leaving this supra out)

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
and you guys almost missed the first 6spd in the 9s, 8s, NHRA Street Tire Champion ? (Curtis caught it ).

My person top 5.

1. Titan Supra
2. Top Secret Supra
3. Ryans QS 8 second 6spd.
4. Markos street sleeper.
5. JUN Salt flat car (a future goal).

Close 2nd top 5.
6. Ken Henderson black monster, badass all the way around.
7. SW's Black car, setting goals for future street cars to follow in performance and looks.
8. Ara's MSB 6spd, the first of the lightweight race cars. Motec, Tilton (one of the firsts) need I say more.
9. MSP's Street Tire car (domination on the track and 7 seconds on BFGs).
10. GSC road race car, Leh showing how it's done for the internet sacriders.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Being OG, I have to say Bryce Danna was one of the pioneers in the high HP pursuit.
Some ppl may hate it, but I also have to give credit to Tozer and Guilly for doing their part w/ street/drag racing. Not to mention coining the famous BPU :rolleyes:
I think Reg Reimer also had played a roll in the early development of modifications to the 2jz.
Jarrett Humphrey's was there in the beginning as well.
Damn it seems so loooooong ago....

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
and who get forget

mr. akimoto.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
I was first interested in the Supra back in 94 or 95 when I got my first Turbo Magazine and saw that Vinny Ten was running high 10s with his car. That was pretty much unheard of back in the day. While I wasn't old enough to drive then, I knew that was fast as hell for a import. Then when I first attended my frist import race in 97, Level 10 had their RSP Supra out running mid 10s in full street trim. That was when single turbos were rare and no one knew what the 2JZ can really do. Back then, Eddie Bellow and Adam Sarwatari were the big dawgs in the Porsche and RX7. I went to a race in Atlanta and actually stayed at the same hotel that Eddie stayed at and sure enough he drove the car down from New York and ripped off a couple of low 9 second passes and then drove it back home. Still impressive to this very day.

·
FAITH
605 Posts
I would also add:

Stu Hagen- Pioneer in the stock twins and BPU world.

Blitz Supra- Record setting lap on the Nuburgring.

1998 World Challenge Supra- Representing the MKIV for what it was made for and doing a damn good job at it.

R

·
0 Posts
I think the Supra in The Fast and the Furious is very influential.

·
Supraddict
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
RicePoweredSupra said:
I think the Supra in The Fast and the Furious is very influential.
Although many of us would relish flaming you, you are completely right. To anyone that wasn't aware of the MKIV Supra before 2001, that orange Supra introduced them. Although horribly butchered for the screen, it did start the Bomex craze of the years following the movie, and it did help to push the MKIV into the rare Ferrari-esque territory of high resale values, to which many owners past and present are thankful for. Then again, the flip side to this is that demand for the MKIV skyrocketed, leaving anyone out of reach hopeless for the time being, and it did attract the attention of ricers everywhere. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Supra.

I personally was introduced to the MKIV before that movie came out...I saw that video of Chris Johnsons then T66 powered Alpine car making a 10.6 quarter...the C4 Vette in the other lane apparently too stunned to launch. I couldn't quite make out what the car looked like because it was dark and of a far perspective...I knew it was a "Supra" from the video name..but it seems like for the longest time I only knew it as being some sort of a sleek, fast "silver bullet" until I saw an actual up close picture of the car days later. I think that mystified it and made me grow to love the car even more.

1 - 20 of 332 Posts