Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after much contemplation and consideration for a replacement for the Black ’98 Supra I found myself leaning towards a 2006 Z06. After long discussion with Andi Baritchi, I became convinced this was the best offering of overall performance for the $$. It seems like a hard car to beat for the money, especially considering the level of performance offered is under a full warranty.

I’ve always been a fan of Black or Silver cars and decided to step out of my comfort zone and try a different color and chose the Daytona Sunset Orange, which is a discontinued color. Wasn't sure about it, but took the plunge.

I found what appeared to be a pretty good deal on a DSO Z06 car with 1600 miles from the original owner in Sacramento. This Z06 came equipped with the ZLZ, Navigation Packages, and polsihed wheels. This Z06 has also been slightly modded. The mods include kooks headers with high flow cat, exhaust by pass switch, air charger, custom tune, lowered and aligned, tinted windows, b&m shifter.

Although I was reluctant to put the 800 miles on the car and could have easily transported the car for inexpensive, I couldn't think of a better way to get to know the car than on the drive through the scenic windy Siskyou Mountain Range. Flew in yesterday and drove it home and the drive was quite exhilarating to say the least. The car comes on very hard throughout the entire RPM band and is hard to believe is a factory car aside from the subtle mods. The Kooks headers definitely move the starting TQ & HP up the RPM Band by approximately 300 to 400 RPM's, but then make up for it with the added power. The B&M shifter is very tight and slighltly vibrates at speed (Jury is out on whether I'll be keeping this in). The handling and braking is phenomenal and a well matched to the power. The Kooks headers, intake, and tuning really seem to make a difference, I’d guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 HP. The tuner says he’s seeing 40-50 HP with this set of mods and best of all this is accomplished on 91 Octane Fuel.

In addition to the performance, the Navigation system is unbelievable and shows you remaining miles and time, which is adjusted based on your driving speeds. It also has a very user friendly menu and even will show you the restaurants and gas stations near by brand! The stereo in this car is the best I've ever experienced from a factory system.

One of the most remarkable aspects of the car was something I did not expect., which was the gas mileage. I filled the car up in Redding when it was at 1/3 tank and it took 10 gallons to fill up. That tank lasted me all the way to Coburg, Oregon, where I filled up again with 14 gallons. From Coburg on I reset the average MPG’s and utilized the cruse control the rest of the ride home and was STUNNED to find that the car average nearly 30 Miles per gallon at speeds ranging from 65 to 79 MPH! I’ve attached a picture of the final average MPG’s which were 29.3!! Unbelievable to me to get this kind of gas mileage out of a 505 HP car. I arrived home from Coburg with a ½ tank of gas remaining! The check engine light came on during the trip, which the tuner said is from the header and high flow cat modification, which he said should be easily resolved with an ECU reset and better quality 92 octane fuel in Washington. We will see...

So far I couldn’t be more pleased with the purchase. My only question is whether I’ll stay with the DSO or swap it out for a black/black when the opportunity comes along. Any feedback on this color versus black/black would be welcomed!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Personally i think the color you have now is great, however i am a fan of black cars. I do not think anything is better then a black C6 Z06. However either way you are one lucky man..Enjoy the car

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1khp said:
Now all you need to add is this Lingenfelter Package and never look back. :)

Lingenfelter
Vincent my friend, now I may be wrong, but I think that might void the warranty ;)

Wow-didn't even know you had a SF account. You might need to update your user name now ;)

·
Almost quick..
747 Posts
That's some crazy gas milage :sadance: I like the color, not a fan of orange, but that's really subtle and dark so I think it looks good.. Plus its discontinued so it is more rare.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Very nice car and very nice color! I was curious what was other cars that you were considered before picking the Z06.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Daniel, what is it that they say? Great minds think alike? I'm looking at possibly picking one of these up as I sold the Supra this week... I will DEFINATELY either get black/black or silver/black. I will call you soon...
Peter

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just wait til a BIIIIIIIG ole singled supra sucks the paint off of it then you can paint it whatever color you want. :bigthumb: Congrats on the purchase they are bad ass cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
VIPimports.com said:
Vincent my friend, now I may be wrong, but I think that might void the warranty ;)

Wow-didn't even know you had a SF account. You might need to update your user name now ;)

Daniel

No need to change user name as there may be a 1khp Z06 in the future :)

OK you had your 800 miles now it's my turn partner. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the positive comments on the car. My wife took it for a drive today and came back with a huge smile on her face and shaking a bit as it surprised her and is a bit scary with the traction control and active handling turned off. I probably shouldn't have let her drive it because she said she likes it and plans on driving it a bit, reminding me that marriages are 50/50--LOL!

Nick D., I considered a Ford GT, Gallardo, Ferrari, and the new Porsche Turbo. The Ford GT was the closest 2nd choice as with a pully and a chip, these cars can make crazy power... I considered keeping the one on our web site as the Tungsten Gray w/ Painted Silver Racing Stripes is a great color combo for this car.

Peter, Congrats on selling the Quicksilver! I didn't know you were considering a Z06. I would have guessed the Z06 would be in the same category as your viper and that you'd stay with one American Muscle car and one Turbo high revving beast. I've had C6's in both Machine Silver and Black. The silver just didn't seem to do the car justice. I'd go with Black on Black as that color just seems to bring out the lines. I just couldn't find one for a decent as the prices just won't seem to drop on these cars and now I've heard they've increased the price $5K for '07, so decided to jump on one versus keep waiting. with something else. Call me and we'll catch up!

Vincent: I've put the offfer out there come get it any time, but if you do decide to take advantage of it, the 800 miles are transport miles and don't count ;)

As far as who is buying the black '98, he is aware of this thread and I invited him to come on and make himself known. I think he may do so...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Great cars IMO. I work at a GM performance shop and we have tuned about 4 C6 Z06's (there aren't that many area) and with headers and a tune we are seeing 490-495rwhp (93 octane in North Carolina). You can pick up 25-30hp over stock with just tuning (if you have a good tuner ;) ).

Anyways nice nice car, have fun!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats!

Congrats on the purchase Daniel-son! Glad you chose the Z06 over the others cars you had on your short list. Just pissed off that I was a week late otherwise I'd be driving it like I stole it. :) You are putting a together a car collection that makes all of us motorheads extremely jealous.

Get the black Supra buffed and ready for transport soon my friend. It's finally come back home to daddy.

Britt

1 - 20 of 69 Posts