Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The current Zupra will end production in late 2025 along side the real Z4. According to forum inside on bUmmerpost who posted a road map for BMW products. This would give the Zupra only a 6 year life-cycle. I'm a little surprised by this. Usually these kind of cars have a 8 year or so life span.

Anyways... Looking forward...

Tada said he will not be involved with the next Supra. He however did hint it could be an hybrid or an EV car.

Now take this with a grain of salt, but supposedly Toyota has already started generating ideas for the next Supra. AKA, the planning phase. It will be developed in house. Oh YAY right??? Well here comes the kicker, depending on which side you fall on it will be a hybrid only model. It's not like Toyota hasn't played around with the idea before.

Boost Junkie
2025 is a long way away. I'd not worry about it. There still isn't an A90. The new Zupra is a J25.

Steve

Administrator
2025 is a long way away. I'd not worry about it. There still isn't an A90. The new Zupra is a J25.

Steve
back in middle school in the early 90's I assumed I would have a hover board and a floating car by now.
Also all the limousines I doodled had pools and helicopter landing pads on them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
2025 is still far out. However, I wouldn't doubt the hybrid part. The new Sienna and Venza that were just unveiled are hybrid only. According to Ken the next LX / Land Cruiser and Tundra are also suppose to have hybrid versions. Like it or not, the world is changing.

BTW, I saw a video today that indicates the 2022 (IIRC) Lexus LX 570 and Toyota Land Cruiser will have the 3.5L TT V6, along with hybrid power. Mind you, without hybridization, the motor already makes 415 hp and 442 lb-ft in the LS 500. The next Tundra is also suppose to get a version of this set-up. The speaker in the video conservatively estimated 500 hp and 500 lb-ft, with the Land Cruiser/LX combo and the Tundra all slated to be significantly lighter than their current iterations (the Tundra is reported to get mid-30 MPG along with more power and lighter weight).

I mention all this because of Boost Wang's earlier post about this motor in a modified LC 500 chassis. Now, this motor in the LS 500 is next level in every respect, so I find it amazing Toyota did not use the MKV Supra as another company vehicle to amortize the cost of this motor across the upper end of its model ranges. This is what it did with the 2JZ-GTE in the Supra, Aristo and the Chaser, I believe. Rumors say there will be an all-Toyota A100 Supra (there's already a thread on this) so maybe there's still hope though I, personally, don't have any.

Ken.

...pop the hood!
hopefully the ugly roofline goes extinct as well...

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone here know this guy? Just going straight to the end he said if the Zupra is a success then we will see a new in-house Supra. This is kinda sad, but the only reason I hope the Zupra sales ok to decent is for the Toyota board to green-light the project so Toyota will have a chance to redeem themselves for giving us that abomination.

JetFire
Does anyone here know this guy? Just going straight to the end he said if the Zupra is a success then we will see a new in-house Supra. This is kinda sad, but the only reason I hope the Zupra sales ok to decent is for the Toyota board to green-light the project so Toyota will have a chance to redeem themselves for giving us that abomination.

He's been spamming multiple Facebook pages with that video for views. I didn't check the link.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
So according to dude in the youtube video, Toyota will make its own Supra based on 5-year sales figures of the MKV?

How's the first-year sales figures looking? :)
I'm having a hard time finding global sales, but here is the US. It's about the same as the real Supra in 93.

2019 J29: 2,884
1993 A80: 2,901

Super Moderator
Agree there is no A90. Isn't it a J29?
J29 in BMW chassis speak, DB43 in Toyotaspeak that is accurately analogous to JZA80. (US version)
The Japanese RZ is the DB42, with a DB22 and DB82 being the lower 'SZ' 4 cyl JDM models, I'm not sure what's different between the DB22 and DB82.

Registered
Unfortunately, the notion that the decision to produce a supra in house hinging on the sales of the Zupr4 is a bit naive and wishful..

They cheaped out and sold their only child in order to make a buck.

Why would they then turn around and use that as a weathervane for the decision to do it right this time?

They would have just done it in house the first time.

And even if this was the case, they missed their chance. If they had just released a true supra/legacy car (FT-1) after 20 years, the hype would have been insane and it would have sold out for every model year. Would have to be on a list to get it. You wouldn't be able to get your hands on one.

Now the cat is out of the bag and trying to do it right will have no sex appeal. You can't rekindle 2 decade long fawning and mystique, especially after lying to and screwing over Calty and the Supra cult fans the way they did.

Just watch what happens when the R36 is released.

Toyota had a real chance at releasing a sexy jdm supercar that would compete with not only the R36 but all other high end cars for another 2 decades just like the MKIV did. And still does...

But they choose to churn out a boosted FRS.

Funny how the MKIV is STILL the one entering the ring for Toyota in any weight division at any racing event, taking up all of the slack of the Zupr4.

They really dropped the ball. They truly did.

Registered
Given Nissan's current financial situation that may not happen any time soon. :(
The situation with Hiroto may cause some delay, or not.

They always act like the GT-R is just around the corner, and then act like its going to be 2027..

They should go into fight promotion.

Definitely hoping for sooner than later.

Im a Toyota man through and through.. Just seeing the words TOYOTA SUPRA in a jdm parts catalog gets me excited. Sucks that I've effectively given up on a legacy car and am now just waiting for Nissan to show Toyota what a set of big hairy balls actually looks like.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
So back on topic, reading on Zupr4MKV forum it sounds like the "100% house" was a little over over exaggerated. While Toyota maybe more hands on this time around, it sounds like they may team up with Mazda to pull of another Miata/124 Spider. I'm assuming a RX/Supra combo will be the final outcome. We shall see.

Super Moderator
The next BMW M3/M4 is scheduled to get 480 hp on the regular and 510 hp in the Competition. Also, a 6MT will be offered along with the auto. Don't know if the 6MT will trickle down to the 2022 MKV but, also, don't care.

BTW, I just read a Roadshow article yesterday on the 2021 Toyota Corolla and you can get a 6MT in at least three different versions of that car (including the hatch). I was surprised, because I thought the 6MT was only available in the sporty Corolla hatchback. Good enough for the Corolla, the 86, the GR Yaris and the Tacoma, but not good enough for the MKV. Sounds about right :mad:.

Ken.

Registered
So back on topic, reading on Zupr4MKV forum it sounds like the "100% house" was a little over over exaggerated. While Toyota maybe more hands on this time around, it sounds like they may team up with Mazda to pull of another Miata/124 Spider. I'm assuming a RX/Supra combo will be the final outcome. We shall see.
What a freak show they have turned this into..

keep livin man, L I V I N
Best part about this thread is that the Zupra will end production in 2025...and I saved with Geico and Sheex sheets are amazing...this forum...馃檮

1 - 20 of 31 Posts