Supra Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Latest rumor mill.

Sounds like a Supra & MR2 successor rolled into one.
3.0 V6 hybrid with a 90k price tag.

·
JetFire
5,383 Posts
If it looks like that and performs like the new NSX, it will probably sell at $90K. I don't see Toyota doing it though unless they put it under Lexus but I may be wrong.

Reactions: FasTTurbo

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Idk, the rumor mill is all over the place with this "next gen". 1st its all in house, then its a Mazda RX/Supra partnership, and now we're back at in house mid-engine. Let's revisit this topic in five years. 😆

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the world comes to an end before Toyota gets off its lazy ass and gives us a worth successor to our beloved MKIV

·
Blue Thunder
3,518 Posts
My bet is that it'll be 20 years before it arrives.

Looks like that's NOT a Supra replacement. But upscale MR2...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
5 years? Might be 15 if the last car is any indication? Having said that an all Toyota sports car would be welcome.
In retrospect, Toyota canning the A90 project in 97 that was probably a blessing in disguise. Did anyone really want a reskin version of this with a Supra badge? 😄

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Politely disagree. I think the SC300 is no looker either, and a similarly done up hardtop only MT equipped SC430-based true A90 would have been a pretty cool car. A TRD supercharged 3UZ-FE with a 6MT behind it would have been a cool powertrain, too.

Reactions: Blakbird

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone here know this guy? Just going straight to the end he said if the Zupra is a success then we will see a new in-house Supra. This is kinda sad, but the only reason I hope the Zupra sales ok to decent is for the Toyota board to green-light the project so Toyota will have a chance to redeem themselves for giving us that abomination.

You forgot to mention that the engineer said that Japanese car companies don't want to make sports cars anymore. Unfortunately that seem to be the reality. As much as they are known for their legendary cars, some want to distance themselves from them. The GT86 was more of some message that gave back passion for sports cars for the OEM's. And the tougher emissions laws has put pressure on them even more. It's sad how the sports car market has dwindled to this. If there is to be something for the sport car market to become big again, a huge amount of sales of sports cars in general is needed again especially for Japanese cars.

·
2,129 Posts
^^^ I have no faith in what the "engineer" told that guy. Toyota peeps made up so much in the intro of this car and the lies have not stopped. Also I'm not going to buy this car so that they "might" make a real Supra in the future. No thanks but I'm content to drive my MK4 and ignore the Zupra as if it didn't exist.

I quote Chris Harris from Top Gear, "It's not a Supra! It's not a Supra! It's not a Supra!"

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
You forgot to mention that the engineer said that Japanese car companies don't want to make sports cars anymore. Unfortunately that seem to be the reality. As much as they are known for their legendary cars, some want to distance themselves from them. The GT86 was more of some message that gave back passion for sports cars for the OEM's. And the tougher emissions laws has put pressure on them even more. It's sad how the sports car market has dwindled to this. If there is to be something for the sport car market to become big again, a huge amount of sales of sports cars in general is needed again especially for Japanese cars.
Nissan's making the 400Z twin turbo. Actually making it, too. Subaru keeps selling WRX's, Everyone thought the GT86 would die off by now but they're still selling enough to warrant a second generation soon.

Hell, even the Zupra is selling okay, though not nearly as well as Toyota hoped, I'm sure.

Ultimately, though, you're hinting at something that's real. Today's 17 year olds don't dream of a badass car and winning street races, they're dreaming of the newest iGadgetry and becoming the next big youtube/IG star. Driving isn't something to enjoy, it's something that rudely interrupts their thumbfuck-my-phone-all-day time.

I look forward to being a grumpy old asshole in a nursing home that annoys my caretakers with tales of nonsense like 'burning CDs' and 'cruising in our cars on Friday nights to meet girls' and 'street racing' when I'm not looking them in the eyes as I'm taking a shit before laughing hysterically.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nissan's making the 400Z twin turbo. Actually making it, too. Subaru keeps selling WRX's, Everyone thought the GT86 would die off by now but they're still selling enough to warrant a second generation soon.

Hell, even the Zupra is selling okay, though not nearly as well as Toyota hoped, I'm sure.

Ultimately, though, you're hinting at something that's real. Today's 17 year olds don't dream of a badass car and winning street races, they're dreaming of the newest iGadgetry and becoming the next big youtube/IG star. Driving isn't something to enjoy, it's something that rudely interrupts their thumbfuck-my-phone-all-day time.

I look forward to being a grumpy old asshole in a nursing home that annoys my caretakers with tales of nonsense like 'burning CDs' and 'cruising in our cars on Friday nights to meet girls' and 'street racing' when I'm not looking them in the eyes as I'm taking a shit before laughing hysterically.
I can see that, the one thing that made the 90s car so popular for kids was the movies and the games. Right now there's Fast and Furious but its less about racing now. We have some games but they don't have that much Japanese cars. For example Forza. And kids play Fortnite now. For those who watch Japanese anime about cars, there's not that much. Initial D ended but only went up to 4th stage in the states, wangan midnight was in Japan only but its 26 episodes and that uses more tuner jargon. The pandemic literally said nope to these racing arcade games. One thing is that Europe wont seem to be receiving the Z. So if that's the case, they're still stuck with the GR Supra for Japanese 2 door's around that range for modern cars. I will admit that the GR supra seems to be made for a track-oriented car, and some were able to be drifted on stock config. Subaru even in modern cars they still use some of their same older engines, and they have experience with the boxer's reducing cost. Chevy has so much mass production of V8'S, that when they made a new engine for the corvette c8, it was cheaper due to the mass manufacturing of them. There is 1 thing I'm confused about. Why do people scream heresy about cars like the GR supra not having a manual transmission when someone mentions it. Yet when other cars like the c8 didn't have manual no eyes were batted a lot about it?

·
2,129 Posts
The 90's is a golden era of Japan unlikely to be equaled ever again. Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru all made cars I loved. I turned 18 in '91 so for me I grew up with the cool Japanese sports cars of the 80's which graduated to their creative zenith in the 90's. Can any of the Japanese manufacturers make a bad-ass, world-beating sports car (or sedan) if they want to? Absolutely! Will they? Right now it doesn't look too likely. Problem is they have shareholders to satisfy and they have a business case they have to make for everything they didn't in the over-engineered 90's. In the 90's Japan flexed it's engineering muscle and said can we do it? Yes, let's do it! Today it's How much will this cost? Now I do like the GT-R and the NSX but both are out of my price-range and the LFA while one of my favorite cars period is never going to be in my radar. The new Supra is a lazy slap a badge on somebody else's car so I can't stand it. I give 1,000% more respect to Nissan for doing the new Z car and doing it themselves. I hope it is successful and can help bring some excitement back to Japan and Japanese sports cars. I have more interest in the new Z than the Zupra. I personally hope they call it the 300Z or 300ZX again, but that is not likely as numbers have to get bigger I guess.

As for the whole auto vs. manual transmission thing, I don't care if a sports car has a manual. I'll buy the auto or dual-clutch auto these days. If I could put a ZF 8 speed in my Supra I'd seriously look into it. So I never knocked either car for lack of a manual. The reality is most who complained were not likely to buy either car anyway.

·
iSPOOL
1,400 Posts
I can see that, the one thing that made the 90s car so popular for kids was the movies and the games. Right now there's Fast and Furious but its less about racing now. We have some games but they don't have that much Japanese cars. For example Forza. And kids play Fortnite now. For those who watch Japanese anime about cars, there's not that much. Initial D ended but only went up to 4th stage in the states, wangan midnight was in Japan only but its 26 episodes and that uses more tuner jargon. The pandemic literally said nope to these racing arcade games. One thing is that Europe wont seem to be receiving the Z. So if that's the case, they're still stuck with the GR Supra for Japanese 2 door's around that range for modern cars. I will admit that the GR supra seems to be made for a track-oriented car, and some were able to be drifted on stock config. Subaru even in modern cars they still use some of their same older engines, and they have experience with the boxer's reducing cost. Chevy has so much mass production of V8'S, that when they made a new engine for the corvette c8, it was cheaper due to the mass manufacturing of them. There is 1 thing I'm confused about. Why do people scream heresy about cars like the GR supra not having a manual transmission when someone mentions it. Yet when other cars like the c8 didn't have manual no eyes were batted a lot about it?
Japan in the 90s seemed like a wonderland. From cars, to cuisine, Anime, video games. I wish I could have visited then.

In regards to the C8 manual transmission, as a corvette owner I can attest plenty owners has been said plenty about the lack of a 3rd pedal. The topic has been covered on many threads on corvette forums, more so than the Zupra. But I believe the C8s presentation delivered so well from looks, to performance, to customization, to pricing, no manual was not seen as a huge deal breaker. Whereas the Zupra failed to impress across the board. That bespoke dct is no slouch and seems to be holding power quite well in the corvette. A manual wouldn't give them the 0-60mph in under 3 seconds which is huge in terms of performance but also marketing.

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
All of those manga/video series you mention are 15+ years old, and Fast and Furious movies haven't been about cars or racing since Tokyo Drift. But the entertainment was a spin on reality and the reality was that kids wanted to be out and DOING stuff back then, now they just want to watch videos of it, or do it only for the sake of making videos. The past is a different world and they did things differently there, sadly.

On C8 vs Zupra the lack of a manual trans is a venn overlap but it's hardly the same situation. As others have stated already, there's a LOT of smack that has been talked about a lack of a manual. The corvetteforum thread on the C8's lack of a manual trans has a SHITLOAD of posts, so it would be 100% dead wrong to say that 'no eyes were batted a lot about it'.
Shady2jz nailed it in that GM did it so right in every other way, that the lack of a manual isn't as big of a deal now that the car has been released and enjoyed in the wild. The same seems to be the case for the new GT500's lack of a manual trans.

Meanwhile, the Zupra is absolutely tone-deaf to what we wanted as Supra enthusiasts, but one of the very, very few benefits of being a BMW would have been an off the shelf manual trans option - which they totally and completed neglected to offer for no particularly good reason.

Reactions: Gary Bechtold
21 - 38 of 38 Posts