Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is safe boost range with a stock fuel system besides fuel pump(walbor) and fcd installed?
i have a 88t, 3' turbo back, walbor fuel pump and rest of the car is stock.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
is this assuming you really have fuel cut and have supporting mods?
I run 14-15psi with stock fuel with no probs other than traction

·
Registered
520 Posts
mkiii91t said:
what is safe boost range with a stock fuel system besides fuel pump(walbor) and fcd installed?
i have a 88t, 3' turbo back, walbor fuel pump and rest of the car is stock.
if you have to ask this i would uninstall that FCD, not trying to be a dick here but the fuel cut is there for a reason and just throwin in a FCD is not such a great idea. you should be alright around 10-12 psi but i wouldnt go anyhigher with out a wideband and make sure you have it tuned well if you insist on an FCD.

·
Registered
520 Posts
itr206 said:
is this assuming you really have fuel cut and have supporting mods?
I run 14-15psi with stock fuel with no probs other than traction
stock AFM? the AFM and the pump are the weak points, everything else is pretty much good to go.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
info on wideband

91supraT said:
if you have to ask this i would uninstall that FCD, not trying to be a dick here but the fuel cut is there for a reason and just throwin in a FCD is not such a great idea. you should be alright around 10-12 psi but i wouldnt go anyhigher with out a wideband and make sure you have it tuned well if you insist on an FCD.

wuts a wideband?how much is it? wut dose it do? and how to install in a mkiii88t?

·
Registered
520 Posts
mkiii91t said:
wuts a wideband?how much is it? wut dose it do? and how to install in a mkiii88t?

a wideband is a way to read your A/F ratios with much better accuracy. it usually consists of a wideband o2 sensor, some kind of a gauge or a head unit and some kind of datalogging function which is essential to do you any good. it doesnt actually do "anything" it just tells you what is going on in your motor, so you can keep out of dangerously lean situations. If you don't have one of these i would not mess around with a FCD. they run from like ~$400 and go up from there. to install it you have to install an o2 sensor and bung in your exhaust, and then run the wiring and mount the display in the passenger compartment and hook it all up. try a search too, that will yield excellent results im sure as it has beeen discussed quite a bit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
91supraT said:
a wideband is a way to read your A/F ratios with much better accuracy. it usually consists of a wideband o2 sensor, some kind of a gauge or a head unit and some kind of datalogging function which is essential to do you any good. it doesnt actually do "anything" it just tells you what is going on in your motor, so you can keep out of dangerously lean situations. If you don't have one of these i would not mess around with a FCD. they run from like ~$400 and go up from there. to install it you have to install an o2 sensor and bung in your exhaust, and then run the wiring and mount the display in the passenger compartment and hook it all up. try a search too, that will yield excellent results im sure as it has beeen discussed quite a bit.

thanks for the info by the way what mods do you have on your car? is that the stock turbo? and would it be a better idea to go with the lexus afm and stock inj. and forget the fcd? and are there any differences from the lexus afm and the stock afm other than the actual sensor? are any other parts bigger? and is the sc300 the only car i should get it from or could i get it from any other lexus?

·
Registered
520 Posts
mkiii91t said:
thanks for the info by the way what mods do you have on your car? is that the stock turbo? and would it be a better idea to go with the lexus afm and stock inj. and forget the fcd? and are there any differences from the lexus afm and the stock afm other than the actual sensor? are any other parts bigger? and is the sc300 the only car i should get it from or could i get it from any other lexus?

my mods:
Turbonetics 60-1 stage 5 bolt-on Turbo, Mine's upgraded ECU, Apexi SAFCII, Aeromotive AFPR, Custom IC Hardpipes, precision turbo FMIC, Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump, Cometic MHG, ARP everything, Clevite 77 main and rod bearings, shot peened stock rods, N/A Cams, SPEC Stage 3, Fidanza FW, SOGI Short Shift Mod, Greddy A/F Gauge and WB O2 Sensor, Autometer Boost and EGT, Custom Cat Back, test pipe, BIC DDP, APEXi avcr @15psi, Greddy Turbo Timer, 550cc Fuel injectors, Lexus AFM, K&N intake, HKS Racing TypeII BOV, greddy oil catch can, sure i forgot some stuff but thats close enough.

the lexus afm would be good just make sure you have it tuned right away, otherwise you may be running lean. oh you will need like a fuel controller of some kind(apexi safc, or hks afr or something similiar). actually the sensors in the lexus AFM and the stock AFM are exactly the same, the actual AFM housing is much larger on the lexus unit so you can use the electronics in your AFM now on the lexus AFM. the lexus afm is off of the 400(LS,GS, etc...) series cars with the v8 motor. do a search to verify that but im pretty sure those models are right. But yeah i would scrap that FCD for sure. using the lex and an SAFC will raise the fuel cut and you should never run in to it again with the stock turbo.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
91supraT said:
the lexus afm would be good just make sure you have it tuned right away, otherwise you will be running lean. oh you will need like a fuel controller of some kind(apexi safc, or hks afr or something similiar)..

Not toally true. Mine runs just perfect with no tuning. I know not all will. but at least throw it on a wideband to find out. Tuning might not be ness right away

·
Registered
520 Posts
itr206 said:
Not toally true. Mine runs just perfect with no tuning. I know not all will. but at least throw it on a wideband to find out. Tuning might not be ness right away
true it may not be neccasary but you would defineately want to know so like you said atleast hook up a wideband and go from there

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
^tru... 45 for saftey... 50 for the win!

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i ran lex afm/550 combo on a stock afm for a while and experienced no problems. recently switched over to an sp61gt and still no problems. car idles and drives just like it did on the stocker and 440s

·
Registered
520 Posts
MKIIINA said:
i ran lex afm/550 combo on a stock afm for a while and experienced no problems. recently switched over to an sp61gt and still no problems. car idles and drives just like it did on the stocker and 440s
how can you run a lex afm/550 combo on the stock afm?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
cre3d said:
:wtflol: you guys are getting quite the kick out of newbies these days ;)

It's just SOOOO easy! :bigthumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts