Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wow great work.... and awesome write up...

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
^Thanks fellas! Means a lot!

Update coming soon, just been getting a lot of the small stuff out of the way to get the engine to 100%, clutch install soon and mating up the trans to the engine.

I'm big on aesthetics, so I've been going back and forth on engine bay theme, I may just keep it simple and do some polishing/painting this go around, and get it powdercoated later down the road, I'm just stoked to get this thing going! Either way, again...update soon!

Custom harness ordered and in the works by Alon Jones over at Hiboost Motorsports!

-Rich

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks Adam! Means a lot!

I've been meaning to update the thread, lots of changes and new parts as well as things done.....soon!

-Rich

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This is just to let you guys know (for those of us that still frequent SF lol), that I plan on updating this thread, and have been busy on the Kidney Supra, it's almost done! Diff is getting rebuilt as I'm typing, need tires, BTI gauge, and a battery and its go time!

Here's a pic in the meantime of the bay, more is done since this pic, but again, I'll get to the update when I have time!

-Rich

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
BEAUTIFUL RICH!
Thanks buddy!! I'm happy with how it's come together!

All 12 of us.

Looking forward to the updates. Who are you planning on having tune it?
Haha feels like less than 12 at times!

Well, if the stars align like I hope, Alpha is attempting to get a Colorado tuning group/session together, if the car is done and road worthy (well, worthy enough to putt-putt around and get it on a trailer) in time I will try to make it up to Grand Junction for that tuning session. If not, I'll be using a local tuner (SQC Tuning) do the deed, he seems to be the only competent one around here with ProEFI and Supras, but we'll see. I'd like to have either Chris Delgado, Larry @ SP, or Alpha tune it, but I'm 13 hours from Houston, and too far from Florida or Chicago.

I am 6 hours from the final boss of ProEFI, Jason Siebels, maybe that's an option.

-Rich

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks buddy!! I'm happy with how it's come together!

Haha feels like less than 12 at times!

Well, if the stars align like I hope, Alpha is attempting to get a Colorado tuning group/session together, if the car is done and road worthy (well, worthy enough to putt-putt around and get it on a trailer) in time I will try to make it up to Grand Junction for that tuning session. If not, I'll be using a local tuner (SQC Tuning) do the deed, he seems to be the only competent one around here with ProEFI and Supras, but we'll see. I'd like to have either Chris Delgado, Larry @ SP, or Alpha tune it, but I'm 13 hours from Houston, and too far from Florida or Chicago.

I am 6 hours from the final boss of ProEFI, Jason Siebels, maybe that's an option.

-Rich
Jason for sure man.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If not, I'll be using a local tuner (SQC Tuning) do the deed, he seems to be the only competent one around here with ProEFI and Supras
Definitely.
He did my MK3 and managed to get 580whp at 18psi and it was very streetable. If you can't get Alpha or one of the other greats to get it tuned you should definitely feel comfortable with him tuning it.

Great build! How did the carpet treatment turn out with the dye?
I can't answer this but I saw that you have a 98 IJM and I just wanted to say that I hate you.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Great build! How did the carpet treatment turn out with the dye?
Thanks man! The carpet came out amazing, much better than I expected. I will say though, the dye alone got it about 90% of the way, then I used a VERY VERY light coat of fabric dye spray to finish it off, and I mean so light that the carpet feels 100% plush like from factory, too much of that stuff can stiffen the carpet. Once this car sees the sun again I'll post some interior shots. One thing to note, I used a garbage bin to do the dye in, and so the carpet had to be folded up. Wherever there is a crease in the carpet, the dye will not penetrate 100% and those spots will be a little lighter than the rest of the carpet, If you do this I'd suggest re-positioning the carpet a few times throughout the dye process to make sure all areas are exposed to the dye as much as possible. I just put it in one way and let it sit for a week, never altered it lol.

Jason for sure man.
Yeah, I'll have to call him when I'm ready to see availability/pricing etc.

Definitely.
He did my MK3 and managed to get 580whp at 18psi and it was very streetable. If you can't get Alpha or one of the other greats to get it tuned you should definitely feel comfortable with him tuning it.
Oh nice! I didn't know you were local to me! What color is your MKIII? I saw a very clean white one a couple of months ago, hit a u-turn by my house and got into boost with friends in the car, the sound alone made me go hard on my build to get it done lol.

But yes, I've heard great things about SQC, and he seems to be the tuner behind a lot of the impressive builds around here, and Alex @ NM Imports is a good buddy as well and I trust his work/recommendations.

-Rich

·
Registered
969 Posts
Oh nice! I didn't know you were local to me! What color is your MKIII? I saw a very clean white one a couple of months ago, hit a u-turn by my house and got into boost with friends in the car, the sound alone made me go hard on my build to get it done lol.
Certainly wasn't me, I haven't had a Supra on the road since last September. I do have 2 white MK3s though

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well, I suppose some sort of update is in order. I took pictures as much as I remembered to, but I’ll admit, during this build I learned that I enjoy myself most when I totally zone into the work being done over music and beer/whiskey!

Well let’s just pick up right where we left off. I’ll be using my phone to finish the rest of the build thread so bare with me on any crazy shit, grammatical errors lol.

Wasn’t happy with the condition of the oil pickup, so replaced that and a few other goodies.

Then it was time to get the valve covers out of the way, drilled out baffles, tapped for AN fittings, tapped for hardware to reattach baffles, cleaned, painted, and red loctited.

56E9D7D3-EA25-49ED-AEEE-EE0FB13E4BEC.jpeg

Came out as a nice satin finish that I was looking for!

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Only reason I chose to do paint this go around is to cut on cost/time, maybe powdercat down the road but for now I love the look.

Intake manifold gets the same treatment

Decided to use R35 coil packs after I discovered this clean kit from PRP! Really nice kit, and I opted to skip on their harness and just have the guy building my custom harness accommodate these bad boys! It was either these or IGN1A, I opted for these purely for simplicity/aesthetics, yet they will handle more than I could ever throw at them!

Nice little Easter egg haha!

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Splurged on another board, couldn’t help myself lol

Anyway back to the car. Found a local welder that’s an absolute wizard (which we became really good friends from then to now), so time for test fit to make measurements for wastage recirc and a few other things I need welded.

That should be enough wiggle room/angle

Planning out the I/C piping, this 90* elbow will be an easy solution

Welder buddy says no problem, looks tight to me!

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I wasn’t happy with the fuel setup I had, so basically starting from scratch, PHR triple walbro setup, more on this later.

Idea for the fuel filters stolen from member on here, Boost Wang if I remember right. Thanks buddy!

After bugging my harness builder for 8 months, finally in my hands! Not the best, but extremely not bad.

Put the little coil pack puzzle together and installed.

Plumbed and wired up the fuel pumps! I forgot to take pictures of the install, but the relay harness was made by Jose @ Kaizen Motorsports, really nicely done relay. I'll admit I had a few hiccups installing the relay, but fear not, wife came out to the garage and suggested one thing that changed my whole perspective and it was breeze...D'oh!

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Removed all the stock lines in preparation for the new ones.

Going to have to get a buzz going for this next part, wife wants to play with a torch, so I happily oblige!

Goal is to bend this water line ever so slightly to clear the last coil pack plug, I probably should have protected the plastic even though she didn’t burn/melt it at all, I blame the beer. ?

That’ll do nicely, good job babe ?

Decided to refinish these ugly bastards, was the only thing on the car I was unhappy with when I bought it.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts