Supra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
An incredible build, it looks amazing. The two of you must be getting real anxious to finally get back in and go for a drive.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Epic update. Love the HKS theme. Hope you're saving some extra money for Christmas and Birthday presents for your awesome wife.
Thank you sir! I like how the bay came out, but if you ask my wife she'd say it needs more color! haha! I did promise her the calipers will be powdercoated teal/turquoise when the time comes! Oh and yes, I keep her spoiled plenty! I kind of have to since she does nothing but support me when it comes to buying stuff for and building this car lol. Nah she's great, thank you for the kind words.

Looking good!

Steve
Thank you Steve! Your insight/knowledgeable replies scattered about the forums have helped me so many times over the years!

An incredible build, it looks amazing. The two of you must be getting real anxious to finally get back in and go for a drive.
Thank you much Ryan!

OH YES we are beyond ready to cruise this thing, at this point I wouldn't even have to touch boost yet I'd still be grinning ear to ear! She has a lot of cool meet ideas that hopefully come to fruition in the near future! We hope to be at SIV in October but no guarantee on that yet since I don't have a leave slot to get out of work for it, but if I can work something out at work we will try to make it there!

-Rich

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Rich,

Fantastic work, my friend. What a journey!

You know, I always thought I have the very best Supra wife in the world. Still do, but your wife is definitely in the conversation. I do hope you can make it out to SIV2020. That would be like icing on a very lovely cake. This thread, and a few others, have really breathed new life into the Builds & Projects subforum. Incredible contribution you have made.

Ken.

Reactions: Kidney

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
In for the bourbon photo alone. Love this build.
Haha! Yeah I've fully converted to a whiskey guy as of late last year, I started with loving bourbons, and I'm moving into the Irish whiskey and scotches slowly but surely, Hibiki Harmony is my second favorite so far. Thanks!

Rich,

Fantastic work, my friend. What a journey!

You know, I always thought I have the very best Supra wife in the world. Still do, but your wife is definitely in the conversation. I do hope you can make it out to SIV2020. That would be like icing on a very lovely cake. This thread, and a few others, have really breathed new life into the Builds & Projects subforum. Incredible contribution you have made.

Ken.
Ken,

I really appreciate it man! I hated to get hasty with posting the photos with little-to-no text attached, but to be honest I was completely slacking with updating the thread as is so this almost had to happen, it still took quite some time but I am glad I got it mostly up to date!

Thank you so much in regards to my wife, she was very flattered to read that! It's a part of getting into cars as a hobby that I didn't foresee when I was younger, being able to celebrate parts of the build with the one I love is definitely a blessing in itself, and not having to hide receipts like most people I know on top of that! haha! I still really appreciate your sentiments, it means a lot!

Oh and yes I will haggle my boss for the better part of this year in hopes that I can register in time and make it out to SIV. I couldn't think of a better way to kick off the new build than to meet you, as well as other members on here and good friend's I've made in the community along the way, at the most Supra-centric gathering still in existence! Here's to hoping my stars align for that.

-Rich

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
After spending a majority of the year sorting out harness issues, the car finally hit the rollers today. I had a slight hiccup though, very simple fix but it caused the car to get pulled off the dyno until I sorted it out, and unfortunately ran out of time today to keep progressing.

Keep in mind this isn't finished, the car will be back on the rollers very soon, just wanted to post this!

Car made 701whp on wastegate pressure (19psi) on 71% ethanol. I'm at about 5400ft elevation as well, about mid 70 degree weather. I can't wait to turn it up!

It just felt good to see it come alive and make some noise! I'll update soon as I have a finished product, round 2 coming VERY soon.

-Rich

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
899 Posts
Sounds amazing, Rich! You have to be happy all of that hard work is paying off. Hope to see you enjoy driving the car soon.

Adam

·
Registered
969 Posts
After spending a majority of the year sorting out harness issues, the car finally hit the rollers today.
Not much out there that's quite like getting a longtime project car on the dyno after a long build. Sucks that you ran out of time but dynos always seem to have a way of bringing up small issues. Especially that dyno

Car made 701whp on wastegate pressure (19psi) on 71% octane.
Typo that's supposed to be 71% ethanol? Either way, awesome number for 19psi.

Looking forward to seeing what you get out of this at full boost. And seeing it around town. If I ever get out around town

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Sounds amazing, Rich! You have to be happy all of that hard work is paying off. Hope to see you enjoy driving the car soon.

Adam
Thanks Adam! It sure feels good, just seeing it making some noise was plenty for me that day! Hope to be driving it soon! Good thing I live in a place where cars can be enjoyed pretty much all year!

Not much out there that's quite like getting a longtime project car on the dyno after a long build. Sucks that you ran out of time but dynos always seem to have a way of bringing up small issues. Especially that dyno

Typo that's supposed to be 71% ethanol? Either way, awesome number for 19psi.

Looking forward to seeing what you get out of this at full boost. And seeing it around town. If I ever get out around town
Oh yeah! I'm not too hung up on running out of time, it was a simple fix and the car is just awaiting a gap in the tuner's schedule to hit the rollers again! It's been an emotional roller coaster this last week or so for me, ups and downs but mostly ups! As for that dyno, I've heard stories but I don't have anything negative to report and hopefully it stays that way!

You're absolutely correct, I meant to type Ethanol not Octane, just edited the post, thanks! I'm excited to see what it can muster up, but I will say, I'm more excited just have the car "done" and out enjoying it. I would have been happy to pull it off the dyno right after that 701whp pull and call it good for now lol. I'm not sure if I've just become really patient or in some weird way like to punish myself for no reason, but either way it's almost there. alllmoooooostttt there! 😬

I'll be at the Car&Coffee on Jefferson once it's done though, hope to meet you soon man!

-Rich

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
969 Posts
As for that dyno, I've heard stories but I don't have anything negative to report and hopefully it stays that way!
Excellent. As for the dyno, it ate my oil filter that ended with the crank, rods, and pistons mangled. No fault of the dyno or Eric of course, just kinda happens that way

I would have been happy to pull it off the dyno right after that 701whp pull and call it good for now lol.
BTDT.
Tuner: its got more in it
Me, thrilled with what it made after a multi year build: nah, leave it, this is awesome

I'll be at the Car&Coffee on Jefferson once it's done though, hope to meet you soon man!
I will absolutely make it to C&C for that, and will attempt to drag @Wreckless along. Keep us updated on the final numbers

·
Super Moderator
10,281 Posts
Nicely done, Rich! I can't wait to see it in person! 🍺

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Nice....was hoping to be in the same boat but unfortunately after all this time I too am having some electrical issues. Cant get the car to crank.... frustrated so I pushed it back out of the shop and put the cover on it. 2 months later, going to give it another shot soon

·
Registered
969 Posts
@Kidney Why you be hiden them final numbers man?

Congrats on the final outcome though!

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
^haha! Sorry guys, I've been just taking some time to relax, been a stressful couple of weeks!

So between my last post and now, the car stayed with the tuner and after spending a few days with him conversing about the car and getting all the bugs out, I felt comfortable with giving him the green light to complete the tune while I'm not there. I wanted to be there in case any issues arose, and to get some footage but unfortunately work took priority. I could have taken the car back and scheduled for another day, but I figured this was the quickest way to have the car back in my hands! To be honest, I had some trouble sleeping those couple days the car wasn't parked in my garage! lol

Going into this tuning phase, I told the tuner I'm not after any certain number, I knew it would make some decent power regardless, I just wanted the car as solid as possible and I'd be willing to sacrifice some numbers to achieve that. Eventually he told me to give him a number so he has a goal to short for, and after seeing the first tune session with the car just itching to make power, I told him quad digit with no care as to how far we go above that.

The final numbers. 1038hp - 923tq @35psi, 77% ethanol. I was shocked when he called me with the news! I told him STOP, NO MORE! He did say he had some bad news along with the good, but that ended up being an idle issue which he ended up resolving, along with an issue with my o2 sensor reading 1 point lean for some reason, still looking into that.

We didn't get to setup all of the additional features like anti-lag and traction control, but we did setup the rolling anti-lag which I learned real fast that it's not something to do just anywhere :ROFLMAO: I figured out why I never wired up the boost control/TRAC control wires from the BTI gauge, I just had to select the control via CAN in the software 🤦‍♂️ I knew there was a reason I didn't wire those up, I just forgot over the time!

I've been driving the car on the lowest boost setting @19 psi for a couple days, getting used to it and figuring out what makes it happy for smooth operation. I haven't turned it up yet on the street to be honest, we'll see when that happens.

There's countless people on this forum that played a part in this build, be it some saucy pictures/videos for inspiration, or tech write ups and sharing info. This forum helped keep the dream alive since I was in middle school! Thank you all!

-Rich

Reactions: FasTTurbo

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Here's a few videos of the wife and I driving around. Nothing crazy, lowest boost setting and we plan to increase the quality of the videos over time.

Her first reaction on low boost (on her youtube channel, we were just trying things out since sending the video to me via messenger ruins the quality)

Random 2nd gear pull with an extremely slow shift into 3rd. (on my youtube channel)

-Rich

Reactions: DaveT and Captain

·
Kappa Check 1 2
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
^Thanks man!!

I just went out to do a full pulls turned up a little bit, at 24psi I started reacting like my wife haha!

* EDIT I do have some video of these pulls, but cam is pointed at my wife and I while we feel the car out. Will post that up when I get to it. EDIT *

Being able to look back now, the 24psi setting is ENOUGH in 2nd + 3rd gear! Adrenaline every pull I did on that setting and the car was on the cusp of holding traction, but it tracked straight and minimal drama during these pulls. Hindsight, this setting is about all that's usable on the street 1st-3rd gear without traction control setup, an eye opener for sure. Man what a blast!

I do plan to have a day with the tuner there for some pulls to sort out traction control and fine tune how the boost ramps up by speed, or maybe we'll do by gear, not sure yet.

Right now as it sits as far as boost settings go:
1 - 19 psi
2 - 21 psi
3 - 24 psi
4 - 24 psi gradually ramping up to 28psi at 60mph
5 - 24 psi gradually ramping up to 32psi at 100mph

There's a few more psi that it's tuned for in there, but right now I can't imagine turning it up anymore, I know when enough is enough. There's probably better ways to control the boost, this was just a quick thing we setup before I parted ways with the tuner the day I picked the car up so I didn't do anything stupid right off the bat.

My experience with Proefi so far, I'm happy. I will admit I've never used any other full standalone so this is what I'm learning on, after spending the better part of this year dicking with it and trying to be there every step of the way through the tuning process, it's much easier than I had in my head. The only pain the in dick is the offline changes, but even that becomes routine once you've done it a few times. Tuner kept having software crashing issues though, I've yet to have that on my end. I'm not sure if the EFI classes are worth the money, but I have been considering taking one, we'll see.

-Rich

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Wow, impressive numbers, the car sounds amazing. Been silently following since your first build post, great to see the long process come together with a huge grin on your face!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I wanted to be there in case any issues arose, and to get some footage but unfortunately work took priority. I could have taken the car back and scheduled for another day, but I figured this was the quickest way to have the car back in my hands! To be honest, I had some trouble sleeping those couple days the car wasn't parked in my garage! lol
Car's in good hands with Eric, but yeah, I feel the same way there.

The final numbers. 1038hp - 923tq @35psi, 77% ethanol. I was shocked when he called me with the news! I told him STOP, NO MORE!
I personally feel like this is the golden range for the street, especially with that torque number.

but we did setup the rolling anti-lag which I learned real fast that it's not something to do just anywhere :ROFLMAO:
There are some in-advisable times and places yes, but I mean...........😆

I just went out to do a full pulls turned up a little bit, at 24psi I started reacting like my wife haha!
That means your build is spot on

Look forward to seeing this beast after this lockdown is done!

Daaaavvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee T

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Rich,

The car is a beast, man! When you posted the final numbers, I had to go back and look at your set-up. I don't know what I was thinking your final numbers would be, but they certainly weren't 1,038 whp or 923 rwt. Very impressive!! There is nothing, I mean nothing, that sounds like a MKIV big single 6MT spooling up on its way to making stupid power.

Lots of blood, sweat and tears in this build. I'm so happy it's come to a joyful conclusion and your wife got to experience first hand why it was all worth it. Way to persevere, my friend.

Ken.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts