Supra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Its already happening here with the large number of high milage good/average (JDM) examples. Right now I am also seeing (at auction) a few '98-99 models for as little as $25K and a few '00-01(!) models at around $35K.
I understand the price has gone down from what it used to be for you guys, but that is still a LOT of cash for a 7-10 year old car man, especially for a JDM spec car. I see 97' models that come in around $27k here and there so those numbers aren't far off from what they have been in recent years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Where's the Increased Demand? It's more like Turn-Over. Folks get bored with their MKIV's that they put thousands of miles on in the last couple years, and then sell it to the Newest 2F2F Fanboy that just learns about the Supra's potential - Like many of you Newbies that have replied in this thread.

Bottom line is I don't see an increase in demand at all going on. Don't be fooled by our little Micro-Economy that takes place here in Supraforums World. When you get out in the real world many folks that are huge sports car enthusiasts, while respect the Supra, could give a damn about a Supra.

Hey I love this car and will probably keep it for a long time. But I guess I'm alittle more realistic when it comes to Depreciating Assets.
This is the opposite point to make against renegades comment. What begone saying has little bit of the harsh truth in it. Not saying begone or renegade are wrong or right but I can see it go both ways.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
2009 GTR
90's R34 GTR

2007 350Z
90's 300ZX

2004 RX-8
1993 RX-7

2007 Miate
90's Miate

2007 Civic Si
1998 Civic Si

2005 Nsx
90's Nsx

2007 S2000
2001 S2000

RSX
Integra

2008 STI
2006 STI

2009 EVO
2005 EVO MR

2005 Eclipse
2000 Eclipse
Late 90's Eclipse
Early 90's Eclipse

2000 Celica
90's Celica

2000 MR2
90's Mr2

Their are many sport compact cars that are no longer here to day. The one's that have are one seem to not work backwards but to improve the car every time they redesign it. Those that have failed were because they didn't improve from the previous model but fall terrible short.

Failures:

The eclipse we all fell in loved was light and turbo with a built proof motor. Mitsubishi last eclipse was a heavy weight not turbo or at all agile.

RX-7 Both versions Light, Turbo, AND Agile. RX-8 a little heavier but solid yet sub par to most sport compact cars as well not turbo. Yeah I know they still make them but it focus more of the female and men with a family.

Integra. Light and a hell of a little motor. RSX great car but I think people just fell in love with the Civic Si. So not failure on Honda's part just a public demand.

Celica...??? well the jdm gt-4 was great. 2000 Celica just didn't have much of after market support but believe that was because of the engines design and the price tag.

Mr2. A improvement every year expect for the non turbo...really can't see why it failed but then again never pay to much attention. So I guess that where the answer lies.

Success:
Miate solid little car every new generation is an improvement.

S2000 Ditto

300ZX middle weight but agile and turbo. 350z light demand on what option you get as well 50/50 balance. Not a turbo those but a 50/50 balance, semi light as well healthy amount of NA power. I give it a two thumbs up.

Success or Failure:
Evo every generation was an improvement. The new one is an improvement in my eyes but not having a 6 six speed transmission manual hurts it in the tuner world. Those it will probably be an MR option. Final Verdict a sucess

STI is always a step up when new generation comes out. Those the new one looks terrible to most but looks are deceiving. The new sti has more under steer but has more grip and a wider body, as well improve balance then the previous model. New sti verse 06 I say the track times would be close. I call this one a success.

GTR do I have to say more but still I am disappointed. Those for weighing as much as does to still be quicker than a zo6 in quarter mile that weighs 500 pounds less with a bigger and na motor. In slaloms it was faster tan the dodge viper as well had a 0-60 of 3.5s which ties with the 911.(weighs I am guessing significantly less) So all in all a improvement and a success for the price tag(base). But imagine if they made as light as the R35 and decide to just make an over engineered VQ35 with same turbos. Can some one say mid to low 11's and almost a flat 3 second 0-60. The price tag would be the same or hell maybe less. I guess that can leave to dream.

Have the automotive manufacturers lost there focus, or simply don't have budget to make the seemingly obvious improvements. Or does the ever changing gas price, or emissions law or negative connotation imports have hinder the manufacturer from designing a sport cars we all dream of. Finally are their just to many factors I am aware because really don't thing about what takes to design a car. (young, irresponsible, street racing)

·
iSPOOL
791 Posts
I'm happy with a lot except the discontinued OEM parts. I wish I would have bought another Turbo model if we knew the value was going to sky rocket!

·
Registered
219 Posts
From a buyer's standpoint, not at all. Good if you're fortunate enough to have picked one up 10 years ago, but God-awful if you're getting in order to buy one.

·
Blue Thunder
3,341 Posts
So..... just like that 11 years flew by!
Are we happy with how the market is with our cars?
:rockon::agreed::biggrin:

·
Hardtopper
2,468 Posts
I think those that believe the MKIV is going to INCREASE in value over the next 10 years are sadly mistaken.

Maybe the ones <30k miles, but your average MKIV isn't going to be anything wildly special on the market. Maybe 30-40 years from now when I'm rolling in a Hydro fuel cell car the MKIV will become more of a collectable because it uses primitive dino fuel, but take a look at the quality and power of cars coming out right now. And comparing a MKIV to a supercar/exotic is very unrealistic at best.

:stickpoke

That comment did not age well...

·
Very Senior Member
9,886 Posts
LOL.
The majority of people posting in 2008 are not active anymore.
There were some accurate predictions and some wildly bad ones!
While I did not respond then, I never imagined Toyota would be selling BMWs now...............

·
Anime Dork
5,093 Posts
Very interesting to read through this thread.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where will the supra place in 10 years whether it be drag racing or auto-cross or road racing or street monster? Will it still have aftermarket backing it up? Will the car still have it mark in the car enthusiast world or fade to the bottom? Will it turn into a classic or fade away as a lost gem?
It will still be one of the most sought after cars around and more harder and more expensive to get! In ten years I'm just gonna be more cooler because I have one....lmao!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love it! I have two anniversary TT. 6 Spd in my garage , one that I drive on weekends and one I drive on special occasions, never thought I would see crazy numbers like this, 121k, 176k. Doesn't really matter though, never selling, The Supra is the most pleasure I ever had with a car PERIOD.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Where will the supra place in 10 years whether it be drag racing or auto-cross or road racing or street monster? Will it still have aftermarket backing it up? Will the car still have it mark in the car enthusiast world or fade to the bottom? Will it turn into a classic or fade away as a lost gem?
This is really funny to look back on! The supra turns more iconic than ever anticipated and priced out of existence
:cool:

·
Boost Junkie
12,359 Posts
Glad I kept mine.

haha,

Steve

·
Kappa Check 1 2
646 Posts
Only regret is not getting a second one sooner lol. My wife wants one now and I'll have to figure out how to get one in this....interesting market. lol

-Rich

·
From the land down under
3,557 Posts
Very glad that I got into one 12 or 13 years ago, and bought it with the intention to never sell it.

I dont actually care about how much their value has appreciated, I just love the fact that I will own one for as long as I choose.

Discontinued parts are a major problem though, and I dont see the heritage parts release solving that, as they will never make all the items we need. Over the past decade, I have bought small items, when I ever I have had a little spare money, and just tucked them away, knowing that one day, I will need them. Still need lots more, but every day it seems there is less and less available.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
53 Participants
sinnedarpus
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing