Supra Forums banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
iSPOOL
1,325 Posts
Hagerty's valuation increased again on the 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo.

February 2019

May 2019

November 2019

We knew the 2020 model wouldn't lower the Supras valuation but does anyone think the manufacturing of new OEM parts might have an effect on price through this Heritage program?

Reactions: Supra Turbo

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I read somewhere a few years back, on a translated Japanese magazine, that the Supra (MKIV) platform was originally designed to be a F1 car. Then with the competitions around it, Z32/RX7 and etc. the demand was high at the time, and Toyota answered the call with the JZA80 . These are possibly gentlemen's secret agreement, like the headlights from the Countach were actually designed for the Z32 specifically, and when Lamborghini saw the design, they immediately sought after it from Hella/Depo and kept it as a secret, and the exact same headlight was used on the 90-98 Nissan Z32 ;)... These are some industry secret agreements that goes on, borrowing from one another. And of course the Tesla, the interior and some suspension parts are borrowed from the MBZ C Class lol

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,479 Posts
Hagerty's valuation increased again on the 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo.

February 2019

May 2019

November 2019

We knew the 2020 model wouldn't lower the Supras valuation but does anyone think the manufacturing of new OEM parts might have an effect on price through this Heritage program?
That's it, I give up. I'm never getting a Mk. IV now. I was thinking of just getting a Z32 slick top with TT conversion, a 13B FD, VR-4, SW20, A70, , or just forgo the VR4 (and SW20?) and instead get an R32 GT-R. I figure have more of the Japanse 90s cars I want instead of throwing all my eggs in to the A80 basket. Now it's settled. With that being said, enjoy driving yall's cars, Mk. IV folks, that way I can live vicariously through YouTube vids, and if I happen to see yall on the street.

Here's to the Mk. IV dream.

·
Blue Thunder
3,497 Posts
That's it, I give up. I'm never getting a Mk. IV now. I was thinking of just getting a Z32 slick top with TT conversion, a 13B FD, VR-4, SW20, A70, , or just forgo the VR4 (and SW20?) and instead get an R32 GT-R. I figure have more of the Japanse 90s cars I want instead of throwing all my eggs in to the A80 basket. Now it's settled. With that being said, enjoy driving yall's cars, Mk. IV folks, that way I can live vicariously through YouTube vids, and if I happen to see yall on the street.

Man I preached to anyone who would listen for YEARS to go ahead and by a MKIV because of it's rarity. No one would listen to me. Now look at these prices !

I bought mine 15+ years ago and have been getting the other 90's Japanese cars you listed as well. Currently have 2 FD's, 2 MKIV, 2 MKIII, 2 MKII, IS300, IS250, and a B2600 with 1JZ swap. The FD's and IS300 I bought with money meant for the Zupra. I've also had SW20s, CRXs, DSM, Evo, etc.

It's only money. Buy what you want while you can. Prices are only going up. Buy a DD quality NA or JDM now ! You still have time.

I'll eventually get an R32 or R33. Just not now...TOO many of them around here.

B

·
iSPOOL
1,325 Posts

That's how I feel about the R34 Skyline GTR. I wanted to import one in 2024 when they became legal stateside but prices have shot from $30k to over $70k on average. There's no way I'm going to spend that much on one especially (here it comes) when the C8 Corvette base model starts well under $70k. The most I would be willing to allocate for an R34 GTR is $40k, but securing one for that price a pipe dream now.

·
Administrator
17,245 Posts
I read somewhere a few years back, on a translated Japanese magazine, that the Supra (MKIV) platform was originally designed to be a F1 car....
I can assure you that this in particular is not true at all. Like, not even remotely close. There is literally nothing about it in common with an F1 car of similar vintage. Carry on! :)

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,479 Posts
Man I preached to anyone who would listen for YEARS to go ahead and by a MKIV because of it's rarity. No one would listen to me. Now look at these prices !

I bought mine 15+ years ago and have been getting the other 90's Japanese cars you listed as well. Currently have 2 FD's, 2 MKIV, 2 MKIII, 2 MKII, IS300, IS250, and a B2600 with 1JZ swap. The FD's and IS300 I bought with money meant for the Zupra. I've also had SW20s, CRXs, DSM, Evo, etc.

It's only money. Buy what you want while you can. Prices are only going up. Buy a DD quality NA or JDM now ! You still have time.

I'll eventually get an R32 or R33. Just not now...TOO many of them around here.

B
I remember when the NA1 and 2 NSX prices were in the upper 20s to mid 30s. They shot up in price too; more than doubled, really.

Why do you have two FDs, two Mk.IIIs, and two Mk. IVs? The SW20, CRX, and Evo I've considered getting too. SW20 and CRX more specifically. I just want to turn my home into a used car lot. Why did you sell the aforementioned three? I'm not keen on the Evo too much, but I've heard so many good things about them over the years.

·
Blue Thunder
3,497 Posts
I remember when the NA1 and 2 NSX prices were in the upper 20s to mid 30s. They shot up in price too; more than doubled, really.

Why do you have two FDs, two Mk.IIIs, and two Mk. IVs? The SW20, CRX, and Evo I've considered getting too. SW20 and CRX more specifically. I just want to turn my home into a used car lot. Why did you sell the aforementioned three? I'm not keen on the Evo too much, but I've heard so many good things about them over the years.
Because I wanted to turn my home into a used car lot !!! F&F all the time BRUH !!! LOL
It started as a buy and sell thing...but I couldn't let the Supras go !!!

I was buying certain cars over and over to get the PERFECT one of it's kind available to me. The CRX's and SW20's in particular. Once I got tired of them I sold them. Loved the Evo, I prefer it to the 05 WRX I had ! Only sold the Evo because it became affordable to the average ricer. At one time I had the Evo, Eclipse Spyder GS-T, 69 Bug , MKIV Supra and a MKIV Jetta!!! This was right before 2F&2F came out . And my name is Brian !!! LOL

I ALMOST had an Black NA1 for 11k back in '11. The price of the alternator it needed blew my mind !!! $900

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,479 Posts
Because I wanted to turn my home into a used car lot !!! F&F all the time BRUH.....At one time I had a 69 Bug ..... And my name is Brian !!!

Ughh, I want an old Bug too. I'm thinking of getting a Volkwagen "Vocho", basically a "new" Mexican VW Beetle. I figure all the old looks, but with out the 60 years of wear and tear. VW made the Beetle in MX up until the 2003

11k NA1?! That price is so ridiculous I can't even imagine finding one "for so little". There are so many desirable Japanese 90s cars even ones we didn't get here Stateside, and for me that's like the Autozam AZ-1 and Eunos Cosmo just to name a few. I would be so happy in an AZ-1. I know it! Any interest in an AZ-1, 9ktt?

·
Blue Thunder
3,497 Posts

Ughh, I want an old Bug too. I'm thinking of getting a Volkwagen "Vocho", basically a "new" Mexican VW Beetle. I figure all the old looks, but with out the 60 years of wear and tear. VW made the Beetle in MX up until the 2003

11k NA1?! That price is so ridiculous I can't even imagine finding one "for so little". There are so many desirable Japanese 90s cars even ones we didn't get here Stateside, and for me that's like the Autozam AZ-1 and Eunos Cosmo just to name a few. I would be so happy in an AZ-1. I know it! Any interest in an AZ-1, 9ktt?
Chevy,

I sold my '69 droptop bug to get my 93 TT ! Also had a 64 bug that looked like Herbie !
And the Autozam has been on my list. A company near me sells them AND many MORE once forbidden JDM goodies...

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I’m coming up on my decade of ownership. It’s had ups and downs, and been broken for a bit. Going to start restoring after my wedding. luckily I have tons of bnib discontinued parts I collected too before they ended

BUT at least I got an original TT 6 speed when they were cheap! I never expected to see these go for insane prices. So much for a second one :/

·
From the land down under
4,096 Posts
Ive just passed 13 years of ownership, and much like you, I have lots of BNIB parts tucked away for the day when I can afford to do a partial restoration on it. In the meantime, I just keep my eyes out for parts to pop up that I would like to install one day.

The value of the car is irrelevant to me though, as I honestly could never see myself selling it, nor did I ever intend to, as it was my dream car for over a decade before I finally bought it.

·
iSPOOL
1,325 Posts
True for sales purposes the value isn't relevant to me since I won't selling but for insurance purposes it's quite important. I was so engulfed with work for years I neglected checking the prices of our cars. I changed my total loss payout from $30k to $55k with no questions asked.

One of our daily driver cars was totaled (not at fault) two weeks ago and it's a pain as always dealing with insurance. I would have hated if I crashed my Supra and not made such a simple change in its value.

So now I check the valuation every few months and if its crosses past 10% of what I'm covered for I increase my coverage.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts