Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
12,401 Posts
It's not a BMW so that makes sense. Looks like a fun car.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
^^What he said.

Ken.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Celica GT-Four crowd couldn't be happier. Most of them I know truly appreciate how much of a successor this is to it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Its like a prius mated with a supra... and all the good traits came through: turbo, awd, 30mpg, very decent hp/lb

But of course the articles I'm reading say its not a North America trim level. of course. why would we want that toyota built awd turbo ? geeze toyota pull your head out of your ass why the fuck are we getting the subaru and bmw built shit and ROW gets the goods.

I too would be very interested in 3cyl awd turbo gazoo fuckery

edit: there really still is a gt4 crowd ? I saw one in my market, complete but rusted(and a 1990), sold 2-3 times on craigslist / FB for around $1000. almost bought it for a part out bc they are so rare....but selling the parts (aka the demand) is incredibly low in usa for these parts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Madison, there is definitely a GT4 / Alltrac crowd still. I'd love to have one, particularly the ST205, but I'd sooner put the money into something else. They're still really cool cars though, and can really tear a track up with the right nutjob behind the wheel. Bit quirky of a suspension design, from what I've been told, but judging by the competition the local one has given me last season, I'd say it works well enough.

As for the GR Yaris, I dig it. I love little two door hatchbacks with this sort of power and potential. Relatively practical, awd (not necessary, but would be a lot of fun in the winter around here...), MANUAL (hint hint Toyota), all built by Toyota, etc, etc, etc. I honestly don't know why we aren't getting this car, apart from Akio's love of the Mazda Demio.

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Didn't realize until reading Madison's post that the GR Yaris will not be available in the U.S., despite the fact Toyota has to sell 25,000 of them to meet homologation requirements. First, we have to wait 21 years for the BMW "Supra" and, now, they pour salt in the wound by electing not to sell the most exciting car since the MKIV in its largest market. Real smart.

Ken.

·
iSPOOL
1,064 Posts
I share your frustrations as well Ken which is why I posted it on the other thread. Toyoda-son says he wanted an all toyota sports car yet that motivation was dismissed for the Supra. Then they make what sounds like a cool platform in that rally Yaris but its not available in the US? I just don't understand why not. Maybe because it would kill off the weak GT86?

Also pumping out 268hp from a 3 cylinder with a 6 speed manual transmission just shows us once again Toyota chose the wrong person and team to head the Supra revival. They had the means to make a 100% Toyota engine for the Supra yet they were lead astray by Tada.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
554 Posts
Sad.... We can't get this... We get stuck with BMW and the 86...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Maybe there's hope though.......if they were to use this engine and put it in their upcoming MR2 replacement, maybe we can still have a small, fun and light "Toyota" sports car. Crossing fingers.....(don't F this up Toyota. It's your last chance)!!!

·
Anime Dork
5,252 Posts
Didn't realize until reading Madison's post that the GR Yaris will not be available in the U.S., despite the fact Toyota has to sell 25,000 of them to meet homologation requirements. First, we have to wait 21 years for the BMW "Supra" and, now, they pour salt in the wound by electing not to sell the most exciting car since the MKIV in its largest market. Real smart.

Ken.
I saw the car in person at TAS last week and let me tell you it looks awesome in person and would definitely be a great buy, but unfortunately i don't think the US market would ever really support this type of car. plus its probably not gonna be cheap either. so Americans will complain whether we actually got it or not.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I share your frustrations as well Ken which is why I posted it on the other thread. Toyoda-son says he wanted an all toyota sports car yet that motivation was dismissed for the Supra. Then they make what sounds like a cool platform in that rally Yaris but its not available in the US? I just don't understand why not. Maybe because it would kill off the weak GT86?

Also pumping out 268hp from a 3 cylinder with a 6 speed manual transmission just shows us once again Toyota chose the wrong person and team to head the Supra revival. They had the means to make a 100% Toyota engine for the Supra yet they were lead astray by Tada.
My understanding is that the USDM version of the Yaris is completely different from the Yaris that is marketed to the rest of the world. I am just guessing but, I would say that this would require the GR Yaris to go through a whole battery of modifications, then tests and approvals to meet US NHTSA, EPA, CAFE, (not to mention CARB) and other regulations, essentially just to sell this one variation. Again, if the ROW Yaris differs that much from the USDM Yaris, it would likely require dealers to stock a whole bunch of parts for just this model. Still it looks like it would be pretty fast and a fun little car.

·
Anime Dork
5,252 Posts
Yaris stateside is a Mazda and definitely not the Yaris that is sold every where else in the world.

My understanding is that the USDM version of the Yaris is completely different from the Yaris that is marketed to the rest of the world. I am just guessing but, I would say that this would require the GR Yaris to go through a whole battery of modifications, then tests and approvals to meet US NHTSA, EPA, CAFE, (not to mention CARB) and other regulations, essentially just to sell this one variation. Again, if the ROW Yaris differs that much from the USDM Yaris, it would likely require dealers to stock a whole bunch of parts for just this model. Still it looks like it would be pretty fast and a fun little car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts