Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am starting this thread to document all the processes necessary to rebuild a 6sp differential. I am rebuilding my differential after a failure to the stock torsen LSD. It failed after many track passes. My car is only on the stock twins but, I have been cutting 1.5x 60' times. The torsen LSD was on its way out for a while, spitting part of a gear out here and there for the last 3 diff fluid changes. This is the first major component failure on my car. When I drained the fluid it looked like quicksilver paint so I knew it wouldn't be pretty inside.
Check out a carnage pic(half of a planetary gear missing)!

I decided to build the diff with the best parts available. The stock diff comes with a torsen LSD and 3.13 gearing. I choose to change the gearing to the only other gear set available, 3.266 a tad bit higher for better acceleration. The LSD next had to be addressed. I first purchased a new stock LSD but, then I decided that a TRD LSD would be more along the lines of the thread title. I also decided to change the LSD carrier bearings, both pinion bearings, both axel seals, the pinion seal, and even the crush washers on the drain and fill plugs.

I will be importing the factory manual pages below this line for diff rebuilding.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Firstly remove the diff, if you need instructions on how to remove the diff then you probably shouldn't be overhauling the diff.

On to the teardown.

Firstly, remove the diff cover. It is held on with 8 bolts.
It should look something like this.

My diff cover has a few nicks in it, a broken tab, and some non used threads that are broken(I believe the threads used for the JDM diff coolers). I am going to go ahead and theorize here that this all happened from the gear being broken and flug around the case. However the case is structurally sound. I will be grinding down all of the imperfections smooth and reusing the cover.

Check out all of the broken gears that where floating around at the bottom of the case. I drove it home from the track like this! The only time there was a problem noticeable was around hard turns!

Now its time to pull the axles out. They are pressed out by threading the axle bolts through the axle stubs into the diff case. Be carefull and thread them a little at a time in order to push them out straight.

Once you have them this far out they can be gently pulled out by hand.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here the axle stubs are out.

Next, remove the 8 bolts on each side around where the axle stubs where. After the bolts are out gently pry the differential carriers out like so. Start with the passenger side carrier so the LSD will not fall out.
Again, be carefull to pull them out straight. There is an o-ring seal around these.

Here, passenger side is off.

Support the LSD with your hand and pry the drivers side carrier out.

The LSD should gently side out now.

You are left with an empty case, execpt for the pinion.

And a few parts.

Removing the ring gear is next. Place the LSD in a vice(not pictured). And remove all 12 ring bolts. Then tap the ring off. Again, work your way around and bring it off evenly. I used a rubber mallet and 2x4. I was not reusing either part but, I figured I might as well disasemle it right if I could not find the JDM 3.266 gear set.

Updates soon! Pressing the pinion out and parts arrive!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Parts arrive!

TRD Diff!

3.266 JDM gear set from Champion Toyota. Champion is great btw guys, great service and BY FAR the LOWEST pricing of any dealership. Here the 3.27 ring and pinion, pinion nut, crush sleeve, ring bolts, and the pinion seal.
On a side note, is the ring and pinion supposed to come with the red lithium grease on it or are these pulled from an assembled diff?

The bearings. Large and small pinion bearings, and the diff carrier bearings. The biggest box is just a fuel filter unrelated to the project.

Seals. Axle seals, a new shifter shaft seal(my tranny is out and I thought why not?), new o-rings, and crush washers for the drain and fill plug.

Last but not least. The carrier spacers and the pinion spacer, micrometer(important for measuring spacer thinkness), a timing belt(again unrelated project), the factory manual crucial for installation and setup, and a parts list.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
lol! The funny thing is I drove it home and made multiple 1.5x 60' passes with the diff like the picture above. No trailer needed. I then proceeded to pulling it when I got home(saw the carnage), put it back in, saved money oredered the parts, and then drove the car daily for a month like this!!!! Crazy how reliable these cars can be and I know I am lucky I didn't ruin the pinion race seats, crack the housing, or a mess of other problems that could have happened during this time. But, nothing happened and it just acted up around turns!

Damn, even if I am on stock twins I am going to need an upgraded driveshaft, eh?

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
Awesome thread. I hope this gets a sticky. Very helpful.

·
Racing is Life.
1,138 Posts
X4 for the sticky!!! Subscribed!

1 - 20 of 150 Posts