Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for theft recovery.... lojack, etc?

Who is a good insurance carrier to insure a highly modified (replacement value or appraised value) car?

Thanks
-M

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
1. take your pick: pull EFI fuse, chain car to garage floor, padlock garage
2. search :) Rally insurance is OK if you have a good driving record, drive <3000 miles/yr and have a daily driver.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drive my supra daily, but that is about 3-6K per year.

I need a recovery system, not a disabler. OVRBST got his shit stolen not too far from me, I don't need that shizzle happening to me. I want LOCJACK or Boomerang and I am looking to see what else is out there.

·
shortbus FTW
270 Posts
I used to have this system on my vw, that wouldn't allow the car to start unless you had a circuit board key, it was mounted under the dash and it would flash red until you basically put the key in, pulled it out and then started the car... I can't remember what it was called for the life of me, it worked great because the only thing the car would do would give electrical even if you had the key..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Lojack is great...you just need to remember to have the unit's battery changed every 3 years.

There is another option...

A company called geoTracer sells an onboard tracking system that can allow you to look online to see where your car is at anytime, even it's speed.

You need to pay for the unit, plus a monthly fee.

Here's the good part: if your car gets stolen, you don't need the police to track it.

Simply logon to a website, track the car, get a bunch of your homies together, track down the thief and kill him. Or call the cops. ;-)

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer option 1.....

·
7m ftl!
373 Posts
how much is lojack for the complete system? i am interested in getting it and would like to also know where you can get it installed.
thanks
-chris

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
www.lojack.com

coverage is sort of spotty where I am.

there is also a canadian company called boomerang that has a nice product. Only problem is that you have to have it installed in canada..... even though it works in the US.

go figure.

-M

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
98mkiv said:
www.lojack.com

coverage is sort of spotty where I am.

there is also a canadian company called boomerang that has a nice product. Only problem is that you have to have it installed in canada..... even though it works in the US.

go figure.

-M
Stupid canucks! :)

I have never heard of this Boomerang product though.

EDIT: Just read up on it and it seems pretty cool. According to them, they recover an average of $100, 000 in stolen vehicles per day.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, I'd really like one. Montreal is 4 hours for me, might be a nice weekend road trip with the Mrs. M.....

-M

·
Spencer
823 Posts
I would not use lojack, who knows if the cops even have the devices to recover your car with.

Viper & other car alarm companies offer GPS tracking devices with there alarms so you can find your own car and tell the police where it is.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like lojack the most, then boomerang..... still looking for a reasonable unit.

GPS, though as you may or may not know, doesn't work for shit if the unit is in a building. So if the car gets stolen and kept indoors, you are SOL.

If this isn't true, someone please educate me....

-M

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
98mkiv said:
I like lojack the most, then boomerang..... still looking for a reasonable unit.

GPS, though as you may or may not know, doesn't work for shit if the unit is in a building. So if the car gets stolen and kept indoors, you are SOL.

If this isn't true, someone please educate me....

-M

you can still call the cops. and tell them the car is in this building. they will trust your GPS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts