Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after selling mine and the parts car i taught id never have another one again mainly because my parents wouldn't want it and I don't really have the best job in the world.

But about a month ago i found a nice add that really struck my heart. I went down to check it out and told the guy ill buy it if he still has it in a month. He did have it, and I DID buy it. I brought the new girl(Asami, stands for something Noble and great) home last night. Me and a friend threw the engine back together as soon as we could to start her up and see what the "ticking" noise was, well ill tell you this much it isn't rod knock I've heard the infamous knocking noise before and this was Nothing like it. It started off as SOON as the engine starts it starts a LOUD obnoxious noise that sounds like its coming from the head. The RPMs are at a constant 2k or above. I only had the car running for no more than 5 seconds in fear of blowing something. So thats all i have to go on with. I'm taking apart the head right now to see if i can figure out whats wrong with the car. Any ideas ?

oh heres some pics btw.

This one below was taken at the previous owners house.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
check for a loose crank pulley bolt for the knocking sound. ask me how I know. . .

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might sound stupid, but check for a loose sparkplug. Friend had #6 loose and it sounded just like a rod...

Well actually all of the plugs were Hand tight. So i don't know if that could be it, but i had a plug wire pop out once and the damn thing sounded like an STI... is that what your friend was hearing ? Honestly i don't know what to even look for. I checked the crank pulley its fine. Ill try the spark plug idea tomorrow.

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well tightened the spark plugs and its still the same.. :( I'm taking the head off now to see if i can further examine it and see what the problem is. As of right now no much hope left for this engine.

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Head is almost off. I found another problem when taking it off though.... One of the ARPs were loose, like Hand tight. Another was down to 20 lbs of tq and another down to 60... So far i haven't taken them all of but I'm really concerned as to what condition the HG might be as well as everything around that loose stud.

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i wish my problem was a minor as yours but unfortunately there is a Loud knocking noise coming from the engine, now i don't know weather thats a rod knock or something else but I'm not going to bother fixing it! :( Time save up for the jz.

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

The engine DID have rod knock and a HUGE one. Ive never heard it knock right from the lower RPM range. But regardless i blew the motor and half an hour later thnx to witckraft i got my self another 7m. And took a few snapshots of the supra just sitting in the garage...
These are all the pics from today/tonight.... their nothing special just added snapshots.... ill do a real nice photo shoot once the car is out of the garage!

My cusco rear strut bar, i cut the panels to fit the bar but as you can see its definitely not the best job ever!

Bye Bye old 7m...

Hello new 7m ! or should i say another one, or #5 on the list ! :(

the typical SSQV!

This little baby is going on as soon as i get the car running and pass emissions. Its a tanabe, just don't know exactly what model it is.

And last but not least, the last pic of the night!

Hopefully ill be able to take the engine out tomorrow and have the other one in by the end of this weekend. although i do have to buy a few things for it, might even have to resurface the head and the block, it had a 1.5 mm HKS MHG put on it
and ARPs but nothing was machined. Hopefully I'm trying to get this thing done for the English town meet in June.

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It came with the car. I've been looking around and cant seem to find JUST the muffler !!! I really cant wait to hear it with 3" piping!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts