Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently posted about changing out the lower radiator hose in my car. Unfortunately, in the process I managed to break two sensors located on the thermostat. Here is a pic of the two.

Sensor #1 didn't break completely off but it does move from side to side. Sensor #2, the connector just fell off and in an attempt to fix it I used the (blue) connector in the picture. Now this is my problem. I've been getting Code 22 which is the water temp sensor signal. The (stock) water temp gauge in the car works and I have heard/seen the A/C condensor fan turn on. I tried to clear out the code by disconnecting the battery but it still came back. Which on of those sensors is the water temp sensor? Is sensor #1 replaceable? Should I do something different to fix sensor #2? Any input or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Jesse

For reference sake here is a pic of my cousin's thermostat housing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I also forgot to mention that the car has trouble starting. At first it wont stay on at all. After a few trys it will struggle to stay on but it does so. Could this be the cause?

EDIT: I searched for water temp sensor and found two other threads w/ similar stalling problems. I also found out that sensor #1 = water temp sensor. Now my question is how do I fix/replace this? Thanks.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Your #2 sensor that you pictured is actually the sender for the water temp gauge in your car. It's seperate from the sensor that feeds the ECU. The #1 in your picture I believe is the culprit... Perhaps you swap that sensor off your cousin's car to verify it's your problem.

- Hams

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hams. I'll ask my cousin tomarrow and we'll work on it. I'll call Toyota also and check for prices. BTW Nice car.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
You mentioned that you're having trouble starting the car... You mean it's cold shouldered right? That could indicate the "cold start time switch" which is that blueish green round connector that's underneath the #2 sensor, or the temp gauge sender. Try switching out that #1 first to see if your code goes away, but it may still have trouble starting... Hopefully not though! At any rate, those sensors are about $30 a piece from Toyota new. I replaced them recently and they're not too expensive.

- Hams.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good I was hoping the wouldn't be too expensive. They are in bad shape compared to my cousins. Our cars are the same year and his actually has a lot more miles than mine. The only differance is that his was a WA car and mine is an AZ car. My engine looks a lot older and worn. Anyways, thanks again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update:

Finally got paid yesterday and bought water temp sensor from Toyota. Cost $64.15 + tax. It was easy to replace and it fixed both the starting problem and the check engine light. Thanks again Hams for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts