Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I tried searching but all I kept finding was info on the TRD thermostat. I know that there are other cars that use 160 degree tstats...do none of these fit in the Supra?

Only reason for asking is that there's a big difference between spending $15 and $85. Thanks guys!

-Aaron

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChizWizz47 said:
MVP motorsports carries the TRD 160 degree thermostat- check with them!

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateE.asp?SubFolderID=201&SearchYN=N
Yeah I found the TRD one at a few places, but what I'm wanting to know is if there is a different brands thermostat that would fit and is 160 degrees. Most thermostats are $10-15 bucks, but the TRD one is $85. I understand that the general consensus is that it is more reliable so you don't need to replace it hardly ever, but at that cost you could replace a regular one at least 5 different times if they were that unreliable (which generally they are not).

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i dont know about the Supra, but someone found a NAPA thermostat that will fit the celica GT-S, maybe if you took yours into NAPA they can find a matching size?

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
why do you want a 160 degree t-stat? are you aftermarket? If not waste of money as the stock ecu will NOT take advantage of a cooler t-stat.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
2JZGTE works at its optimum combustion with the stock thermostat.
Save the 160 degree thermostat for junkyard Fox body Mustangs.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
u2ez said:
Alright so I tried searching but all I kept finding was info on the TRD thermostat. I know that there are other cars that use 160 degree tstats...do none of these fit in the Supra?

Only reason for asking is that there's a big difference between spending $15 and $85. Thanks guys!

-Aaron

i think you got a good point. if you can pay $15, why pay $85. i just talked to my local part store. no any other aftermarket makes lower than 180 degree on the list for toyota. you should talk to your local part store.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
I purchased a TRD thermostat which regulates the water temp to 180. It may open at 160, but my temp gauge sits rock solid at 180. You guys sure the TRD is 160? If you drive your car often, other than the track, 160 is not a good temp to run.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
figgie said:
why do you want a 160 degree t-stat? are you aftermarket? If not waste of money as the stock ecu will NOT take advantage of a cooler t-stat.
Not an aftermarket ECU no...just BPU with a FMIC. But from what I've read on these forums it seems like a lot of the guys driving in hot climates (such as AZ) switch to the TRD thermostat so that the cooling system kicks in earlier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts