Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you know I was rear ended lately and it smashed my car up front and in the rear. Well after talking to insurance it sounds like its totalled because it has $3300 damage. So if it is totalled they said they might take it. Just to give you some info on it, it is a 86.5 and the body was just redone and it has a new engine (7m-ge) wich I turbocharged, it has new rims, springs, paint, a lot of things I cant remember. I was making this car my dream car. They said if I have reciepts they would give me money for that but I dont have any because I buy all my stuff off the net. Can they take my car away from me if its totalled?? Please tell me that they cant, I really want this money to get the bomex kit, new gte shortblock, upgraded turbo and some other goodies. I have about a thousand in parts still waiting to go on it. Please help me out.

·
Your mom
382 Posts
Yea, they can take it, But you could buy it back from then for a couple hundred or something.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
If you accept that they total it then yes they take it away from you. They should also let you buy it back minus the salvage value. Basically they would probably take about 700-1000 bucks off of what they are offering you and you get the car and the remaning money. Usually it's actually better to buy the car back because if you want to you can sell the parts off of it and make much more off of the parts then you would have having totalled it out.

I used to be an insurance adjuster for Progressive so if you have any more questions, please fee free to ask.

S

·
0 Posts
there's always the option to buy it back from the insurance company. basically, they don't give you the full $3300 to get it fix. they give you a lesser amount, and give you your car back with the understanding that you have to fork over the rest of your money to get it fixed. they will take no responsibility of any workmanship from any repair shop you send your soup to.
ask them about that. i've known some friend that has done that before with their performance cars. check it out.

·
Registered
948 Posts
i buy all my stuff off the net, ive got receipts for everything... if you buy from an individula and not a company, thats different

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
another good reason to get your car appraised. usually costs ~$100, and they will value your car based on the market value + any parts you have added, etc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, i forgot about those cc receipts and my bank statements even when i used my check card. If i got it appraised would they say its worth more even though it has a 7mge block and head with turbo compinents??

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
OK i had a 90 that was very similiar to yours and it got totaled after i got hit by a minivan on the front pass fender, airbag went off. Total cost was like 3800 to get ti fixed so the totaled it. Heres what i ahve learned now. Go to a dealershipa and get them to sign a price quote on what the would SELL (not buy the car) for. This tends to be a little bit higher than KBB or black book value. Also look on the net for what cars that are similiar are going for. Ask the forums too for what a good price would be. Get lots of print outs. From what I hear the car has sentimental value for you, same for me, unfortunately that doesn't mean too much. But explain that to them, te extensive mods, repairs, parts, etc etc, make them realize what the car is worth. If you get the car apraised make sure that it isn't someone who works for the insurence (sp) company. They may devalue the car so make sure it is someone you know. If you need any mroe help PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Peace and good luck,
Joe

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
I would never go to the dealer.... they will appraise it for 300 dollars.... no more!

But... definitely worth getting it apprasied with all motor work proof in paper. For bigger numbers.

G

·
0 Posts
How it works.....Car is totalled, you can buy it back for a % of the totalled amount. They then give you the difference. viola! You now have a salvage title on your hands.

S

·
0 Posts
it's best you buy it back and then part it out. you're going to have
a hard time finding cheap insurance with a car that has a salvage
title on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts