Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some little fun shit Ive noticed during my build. Figured it could be added too. No real purpose.

* How much all the little shit cost. Nuts, bolts, hoses etc
* The amount of money you REALLY spend
* The 8 hours of parts washing to realize your only half way done.
* How much of a pain in the ass it is to get the bitch bolt off
* How much money you donate to shipping parts overnight to realize you need more
* Thinking you have everything planned out to realize you have only begun
* Changing your mind on parts cost a fortune and selling your other shit sucks
* Putting fittings on braided line is a royal pain in the ass
* Nothing ever goes as planned and everything takes at least double the time anticipated.
* How many cuss words you can create in your mind while doing all the above
* Satisfaction when you see what you have done for the day...Priceless

· Registered
2,459 Posts
yup i am ready for all that (atleast i think i am), im starting my build this month. Ill make sure not to check my bank account during this time, seeing all the decrease in funds is a sad sight.lol

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, it can bite you hard without a 100% set in stone plan. As for the fittings, if you know a trick or two you can install them with ease.
Purchasing them already finished =) lol

· Registered
1,298 Posts
I am almost done my 1993 NA-T build and here are a few tips:

1) Buy a full brand name kit that has been test fit and/or used so you have no fitment issues
*Be prepared to test fit everything and look into getting some parts quickly shipped
- Its worth it to spend the money on a quality DP & Exhaust mani to prevent spending $100 for welding + $50 for 3" V-Band flanges on eBay
2) Map out what size oil lines, I suggest -10 AN for the Oil drain and, -3 or -4 AN for the Oil feed. Get the appropriate flared AN to 1/8 NPT fittings for the feed lines and the flared AN to "x" NPT fitting for the drain line.
3) Download a shop manual or buy one for quick references
4) Buy USED brand name parts rather than NEW eBay parts
- I went the eBay way and am paying about the same if not more because of the fabrication costs I've encountered
5) Buy a NEW OEM Gasket Kit
6) Read a FULL sticky or how to on installing an NA-T Turbo kit, there are countless additional bolts, nuts, vacuum hoses, taps, drill bits, etc that are needed in order to have a full kit running.
7) Buy an eBay intercooler core and spend the $$ for a Boostlogic or BRAND NAME Supra specific FMIC piping & coupler kit. The eBay intercooler cores are great, but the piping with the kits are cheap and have terrible fitment issues. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!

I am "hoping" to be done my build this weekend. Just waiting for a 5/8 angled wrench and a 90 degree silicon bend.

· Cheifbootknocka
2,117 Posts
You've not done this before I take it ? Now you'll know for your next build.

Its the same no matter what the car/project is, some more extreme than others.

In my case, none of my builds have ever been my daily driver so I dont need to donate my cash to the "fedex overnight fund"

· DoRi?
1,064 Posts
Dude ive been building my jz for a year almos..... F'ing money pit..... Feed the pig. Now all i need is a damn ems. Sad part is i thought i had the money to do it when i started

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking of this post while sitting at my parts washer.

Never seen a thread that talked about the hours spent lol

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude ive been building my jz for a year almos..... F'ing money pit..... Feed the pig. Now all i THINK I need is a damn ems. Sad part is i thought i had the money to do it when i started

Fixed =)

· Factory RSP Hardtopper
2015 Ram 2500 Coal Roller
2,925 Posts
I told you about all things mentioned in post 1. I think you were just busy dreaming...:)

· Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
Here is one,

whatever budget you THINK you need. DOUBLE to TRIPLE it. Same with time.
Here's another: Do NOT pull your motor unless you have to. If you do, you will find all types of crazy things to do because, "your motor is out, man, and this is the best opportunity you will ever have to do__________(fill in the blank...again and again...)".

Ken.

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*cough cough* whos idea was it to change a few things...oh yea and no one ever mentioned parts washing lol

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's another: Do NOT pull your motor unless you have to. If you do, you will find all types of crazy things to do because, "your motor is out, man, and this is the best opportunity you will ever have to do__________(fill in the blank...again and again...)".

Ken.
QFT

· Factory RSP Hardtopper
2015 Ram 2500 Coal Roller
2,925 Posts

Ken.
AMEN. I pulled my motor to fix 2 leaks and I'm almost done now with a full tune up.:)

· Registered
7,853 Posts

Ken.
Oh man!!

lol.. unfortunatly I have been caught in that loop!! eekk.

· Pays Cash, No Questions
4,704 Posts

Ken.
That one caught me as well... twice, on my last car.

"Well, it's already out... it would be *BAD* *ASS* to do this, and then this... and don't forget THIS!"

:lol:

I think that I'm one of the only ones that can turn a simple cam upgrade into a fully built head (courtesy of a friend, who's advice I'm glad that I took!), or am I?!?

· Is it turbo? Is it stick?
5,315 Posts
Haha Ken, I feel like you wrote that one about me. I was just going to fix what needed to be fixed when I bought my car, and man did plans change. The theme of my Supra is "might as well..." since I said that about 100 times over the past year or so.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.