Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys - new guys here....

My buddy and I were in a restaurant last night, I casually remarked i might start checking out buying a Toyota Supra, 80's probably..
Just then an employee said he had a pair for sale...To make a long story short, Im going to look at them soon, but this is what i know-

Two turbocharged 1987 Supras... Both midnight blue/grey interior. One is driving, the other is parked because of a front collision that damaged the radiator. The "driving" one has a rebuilt turbo, 130k miles, but has a 4speed auto, whereas the parked one has a 5speed...

For 3 grand($3000), this sounded pretty good for me. I know these cars are heavy, they weigh only 100 pounds less than my 79 Camaro, and with only 230HP and were prone to headgasket problems... Also considering that on the Toyota forum i frequent, cars like late 80's MR2's and AE86's go for that much in the same condition (i've seen naturally aspirated supras in the paper for over 8K), this seems like a good opportunity. I can work on them myself, mechanically and body/paint wise. The cars are in decent "standard fade" condition for the year, except the wrecked one, that has a smashed front end...

Anyone here have an opinion on this deal? (or the swap to put the 5speed in the better of the two cars) Is this even a good engine to start with? Or is it a case of "start with one a few years later and have a lot more for less" kinda deal?

Honestly since the car that doesn't run is REALLY far away from my shop (probably 45 minute drive), i doubt it would be cost effective to move it via rollback.... He wants to sell them as a pair, i guess he knows he'd never get rid of the parts car - on the other hand i'd like to have the 5 speed out of it :\

Either way, it seems im not getting quite what i want, i may be able to talk him down to 2000-2500 for the one, but it's an automatic, and i'd have to find a tranny/clutch then of which would be over 3000 total. It's worth the extra 500 or so just to find another i guess...

Did i just answer my own quesiton? i hope not... :(

NOTE: This is a pasted message form another forum, i've since read some posts here about it, so take it easy on me

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
find out more info about the running car, and the wrecked one, what condition are the motors in, was either rebuilt? and dont be too hasty about putting that 5spd in the running one, autos are damn fast too, they actually have a higher top speed. another thing, test drive it, listen for certain sounds. (any clanking or rushing water sounds are BAD!) but for the condition you said i would say dont pay more than 2500 for both since it sounds like he wants to get rid of them both instead of just one.

·
...make that none again
1,932 Posts
Another option you have is to just ditch the idea of buying the two from this one guy and converting the good one to 5spd, and look for someone else selling just one good condition 5spd to your liking. Many of us have passed over mkiii's and waited up to a year to find just the right one(well, not me because I'm a hasty bastard :D).

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
punkybooster89t said:
Another option you have is to just ditch the idea of buying the two from this one guy and converting the good one to 5spd, and look for someone else selling just one good condition 5spd to your liking. Many of us have passed over mkiii's and waited up to a year to find just the right one(well, not me because I'm a hasty bastard :D).
i waited over 5 years to find one that was perfect (and that i could afford). i love my baby

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
i wish i played the market. I saw... i bought... love at first sight!

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
jong said:
i wish i played the market. I saw... i bought... love at first sight!
aint that the mother fucking truth .......damnit :rolleyes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
if the frame is coo on the wrecked one it may just be easier to swap out the front clip with the auto one. swapp in the turbo from the auto to the 5 speed. probably a lot easier then swapping trannies.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
I saw many MKIII's before getting my blue one.

·
Minor Threat
391 Posts
A crisp set of 2 dozen $100 bills can do wonders when it comes to persuading a seller. See if he'll sell you both for $2400. As far as having the wrecked one towed, go and join AAA. They offer a package that included free towing up to 100 miles. IIRC, it's less than $90 to get that package. I've used it to have wrecked cars towed. I've heard that occasionally they won't tow cars like that, but I've never had a problem with them. Swap in the 5 speed and recoup some of your money by parting the car out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't put more than 2200 into both of those cars. The guy obviously wants to get rid of the cars. He came to you, remember that. He wants to get rid of them together as well, so he's ready to work with you. Let him know about advertising costs, as well as the feeble conditions of the 7m when it gets into the higher miles.

If you go to his place with 2200, offer his 2000. Let him wallow, then he'll ask for more, and show him the other 200, and let him know that's all it's worth to you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really appreciate everyone's comments, i guess really i don't want a fixer-upper. I've already restored both of my cars ('79 Camaro and '85 AE86) and dont' really feel like doing another...Well, one more, but not this one :D I guess im to the point where i'd be more willing to just spend more for something i can just turn the key on... If anyone has a better deal, feel free to email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
MulletMaster said:
I really appreciate everyone's comments, i guess really i don't want a fixer-upper. I've already restored both of my cars ('79 Camaro and '85 AE86) and dont' really feel like doing another...Well, one more, but not this one :D I guess im to the point where i'd be more willing to just spend more for something i can just turn the key on... If anyone has a better deal, feel free to email me at [email protected]
try posting in the Wanted section, and browse around the for sale section on the forums. there are so very many supras for sale that people are willing to part with for about the same price, and in better condition

1 - 17 of 17 Posts