Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HKS cam gears will be here in a couple days. I have seen some people cut out the front of the olive colored valve cover, to see the cam gears. Has anyone done this? The hks gears look sweet. I would hate to cover them up. Are there any problems with things getting ingested into the engine? And I have a dremmel, but am not sure if I want to start free hand cutting on my car. Any advice? Should I get it done professionally at a shop? I'm sure it wouldn't cost much. I know it is strictly for looks, so I won't do it if there is some reason not to. Thanks in advance

S

·
0 Posts
I second this, also wanna know : )

Is it a risk for dirt and shit coming to the engine internal parts?

Thanx!

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
It's not a bad job at all. The plastic is tough because it's designed to withstand high heat, but you can still work with it.

I used a permanent marker to trace the window I wanted to cut in the face of the engine cover. I chose to follow the outline of the factory piece, though you may want to consider altering it to follow the curve of the cam gears on the outside edges...

I started by drilling two holes with a one inch hole saw. Then I carefully cut along the traced line with a hand-held scroll saw using a medium wood blade. Just take your time and try to stay on the inside of the line. Then I cleaned it up with my Dremel and finished it with three stages of sand paper to give the inside edge a smooth finish. It's a geat and cheap way to show off your cam gears.

See pics on my website at www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

Feel free to call me as well if you have questions.

John 801-319-2309

I

·
0 Posts
Wish i could do that but mine will look silly. My cam pulleys no HKS or AEM or anything..... Its stock but machined out to be adjustable. Saved coupla bucks tho.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Re: CAM COVER CUTS

ELMTOYPARTS said:
C:\My Documents\supra2.jpg

I USED A DREMEL,AND CUT THE TOP AND MIDDLE COVERS USING A 4IN DIA HOLE.

CALL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFO.

Quick question. Why are you posting a picture of my car that appears to be directly from the C drive on my computer?

I have e-mailed you about this as well. The picture you posted has my plate # on it.

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Re: Re: CAM COVER CUTS

mervinnn said:

Quick question. Why are you posting a picture of my car that appears to be directly from the C drive on my computer?

I have e-mailed you about this as well. The picture you posted has my plate # on it.
MERVINNN,
IN MY FIRST POST I INSERTED THE PICTURE WRONG.THE SECOND POST SHOWS JUST THE PICTURE{98 TT 6SPD BELT COVERS CUT /UR PULLEY SET}THAT PICTURE DOESNT SHOW A FRONT LISCENCE PLATE.AFTER OUR PHONE CALL WE FOUND ITS A PROBLEM ON YOUR END.HOPE ALL IS CLEARED UP.

HAPPY BOOSTING

CURT

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
I only have this one other pic , I will take more if you like tomorrow night.

shoot me an email
[email protected]

you can tell I need to get off my ace and finish the sanding and paint that thing. But I used a dremel for the entire thing.

good luck and let me konw about those pics

chris

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Mervinn... Elmo... Elmo he did NOT post "your" pic. He tried to post a pic from HIS C: and it just happened to match the filename of a picture on YOUR computer too. No one else saw that pic :rolleyes: Pics that people insert in that manner have to be hosted from WEB sites. If you have no such place setup then simply ATTACH the pic and so long as it's not too big we can ALL download\view it. (sigh) It happens, no biggie but no one did anything to anyone's computer - any WEB page could've done that.

Anyway, no one has answered the ORIGINAL question - is this harmful in anyway?! I want to do it too in the future but not if it's going to risk potential damage to anything. Is that area dry - no lube? I ASSume yes. However suppose water gets in there - problems? Can you adjust the gears when it's opened up like that or must the cover still come off?

As an aside - I'd be interested in knowing how to machine adjustment into the stock gears if that's cheaper. I'd also be interested in knowing, if anyone knows, what that piece costs. It doesn't appear to be hard to remove - is it? Will it hold paint very well? What sort of prep? Flex additive or no? :D TIA!

Oh and if anyone has any unique ways that they've reworked that page by all means please post them. All new ideas are cool and I for one would love to check it out!

·
1,522 Posts
ianong,
......hey, actually if you wanted to, you could take your cams off and paint them very nicely. Then you would have a reason to cut your valve cover......Just a thought.

M

·
0 Posts
boostedsupratt said:
ianong,
......hey, actually if you wanted to, you could take your cams off and paint them very nicely. Then you would have a reason to cut your valve cover......Just a thought.

That would be so ghetto not to mention a bit ricey!

Hey Chris! Getting use out of that new camera huh? ;)

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
OR BETTER YET--HOWS ABOUT GETTING THE FACTORY PULLEYS {STOCK OR MODIFIED} CHROME PLATED/ANNODISED TO LOOK LIKE AEM/UR/HKS PULLEYS.

PS I HAVE A SET OF STOCK PULLEYS IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED-CHEAP!

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
Michael!

Michael! when you get a chance give me a call either at work or on the cell. My trip to London got cancelled.

talk to you later

chris

and yes, I love that digi cam :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts