Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, it's a great car. But I just keep on thinking, why am I putting so much money into an old car? Full coilovers, FMIC, MK4 brake setup, MK4 intake, blah blah blah. The list goes on and on. The thing is though, I'm only 8 years older than it. This car is old.

I rarely drive the thing, but spend all kinds of money on it and pay way more insurance for it. It's not that the car doesn't run. It's that I'd much rather roll around in my 27 mpg/city MR2 than the 17mpg Supra. I've only driven the dang thing like 2-3 times in the past 3 months. I need to be saving money. Spending money on something I don't even drive makes zero sence.

Never thought I'd be one of the guys that would get rid of their car. I don't know. Sigh...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
you think thats old???

i still have a car that is 2 years older than ME! its my first car: 1979 Trans Am WS4 w/ a 6.6 liter and 3 speed Auto... bitch has some Torque... its sitting in storage right now w/ a rebuilt motor, havent even broken it in... but everything in it is spec'd to put out 320 lb/ft of torque @ 2000 rpm... and 430 @ 4200 rpm... Ill never get rid of that car, no matter how old it gets... i love it too much.

if you want... just put your car on hiatus, and drive a beater car that wont break and have no desire to modify.. and when you get the itch to mess w/ the supra again... its right there where you left off, waiting patiently. instead of something like "damn, i wish i hadnt sold my supra... man that thing was bad ass... it had this, that, and the other thing..."

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Take it off insurance for a while and park it for .. say, 6 months. Don't touch it during this time.

At the end of the 6 month period, go take the car out for a spin. If you decide that you want the car, keep it. If you feel that getting rid of it is for the best, then go with that.

·
...make that none again
1,932 Posts
I'm going through the same thing right now. For me it's either spend the money on the 1jz swap or put it down on a new car(wrx or possibly mkiv tt). I just don't know if I want to spend that much money on an old(albeit nice) car, but on the other hand I'll probably hate shelling out cash every month to pay off a loan. Tough decision I know. Right now I'd take anything that's faster than my 4cyl. truck. :eek:

LOL Therm, Team Bad Gasket, that's awesome! :D

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going through the same thing right now. For me it's either spend the money on the 1jz swap or put it down on a new car(wrx or possibly mkiv tt).
Word. If I sold the MK3 I'd have enough money to outright buy a MK4 or almost buy a new evo/sti. But then that would kinda defeat the purpouse of saving money.

W

·
0 Posts
I sold a car I never thought Id sell just to get my Supra...

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but if you arent strapped for cash id say just keep it. Nothing is forcing you to keep modifying it and dumping money into it. Take if off the insurance and leave it parked in the garage for a while.

X

·
0 Posts
Even if you bought urself a new car, after having a supra what makes you so sure you wouldnt be pouring money into it(along with the cost of paying off loans)? What ever you choose good luck, it a tough decision.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I love the fact that it keeps getting older, more of a collectors car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey!!

Remember, our cars are unique, this is what seperates us from the everyday. I like the fact of having a car that u don't see too often. I like the fact of having a car that many misjudge untill you hand them their ass. SO many possibilities!!
;)

·
Super Moderator
10,037 Posts
I love my Supra. I still have my first Supra, and driving other cars just isnt the same. I tangled with the idea of selling her and selling all of my other Supras and associated parts and getting into something else, but that only happens when I'm pissed off at them.

Put her away for a little while, and take her for a spin when the weather gets nice again and let that shit-eating grin fill your face when you boost it.

·
AEM SP63
1,459 Posts
I know how yall feel. I'm thinking about selling mine. I want a 4 door car and a house.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
ha, my fist car was my supra which i got about 2 years ago or so, and i still havent been able to take it out on the road save 1 time cause im repairing so much on it, and i love it so damn much. and advice even though i have been drivin a damn beater 88 honda hatch the whole time, dont sell it. take it off insurance for a while and leave it in the garage or something. if you need money for another car, start racin ppl for cash with the sup haha

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I spent many hours this weekend cleaning mine up. Looks nearly good as new except for some paint oxidation. The interior looks as-new. Starts to feel good again. At the Sat-Night hangout (First time I've been there this year it seems) many folks were impressed with the condition of a '87. Felt pretty good. No payments, lower insurance makes the decision easy for me.

T

·
0 Posts
Dude. You know I COMPLETELY feel you. In the one hand, you have so much money You've put into the car that you won't see back, and on the other hand you have a future of money that's gonna get poured into the car that you won't see back. Unless you LOVE your car so much that money isn't an issue, it shouldn't be a tough choice. Cut your losses, and move on.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
go buy a mr2...you will be so glad you did

I sold both my supras and now i can spend all my money on the car or no money on it...they car dosnt car its still fast as "F" and i get 35mpg in my mr2

I got rid of a 91 supra with 168k on it and a 88 with 105k on it...and now have a 91 perfect mr2 with 48k on it...and handels like a dream...gets great millege and lays the smack down on most other cars

I ran a 14.6 on stock sw20.......and mr2's are cheap to modify

But do not get me wrong supra is a fun car also...just not as praticle....but i have a 7mgze in the making so wait till summer and we will see how baddass a 1987 turbo=to=supercharged with 200k is

Bottom line....sw20 is better all around car(becasue of technology)....but supra is alot of fun...just as long as you have some money or its not your daily driver

just my 2cents....and i know that there is daily driver supras...i had 2

W

·
0 Posts
dude.. ive put way to much time and money into mine now that i couldnt even think about selling it when its running again... im sure its the same way for you... like they said above... let it sit for a while and see how that works out for ya

1 - 20 of 41 Posts