Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a Gtech PRO?... Im considering ordering one since I cant get to the track anymore and I think it would be fun to use now and then to see how my car is doing... Is it as accurate as they claim?

Another thing I saw is that it apparently can tell you how much horsepower you have within 1 to 3hp accuracy, how the hell? does it go by acceleration/rpms/weight or something?... and does it measure wheels or @ the flywheel?... Im very skeptical about the horsepower thing.. but how are the other features.. worth ordering? looks like it would be good... thanks...

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Dude I would not waste your money on Ghetto tech...It showed some Innacurate hp figures and they were off by like 60 hp in comparison to the dyno!!! But thats My opinion.

·
462 Posts
I've heard good things from this unit regarding 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times!!! However, no first hand experience...maybe someone who has the unit will reply.

M

·
0 Posts
It can't calculate trap speeds so it just gives you an actual speed after 1/4 mile but aparently the ETs are accurate. I wouldn't count on the HP ratings though.

·
Hybridz
13 Posts
my friend has it.
1/4 time is almost dead on.
mph is abit off but not so bad.
hp is off, i mean in my friends SI it said he had 100hp lol.
but its worth it for the 1/4 and 0-60.

D

·
0 Posts
tsk tsk. Let me be the first to say that I haev it. It works supurbly for the price. I mean yes the Blitz one is hecka better, but it you wanna the same $300 for it feel free too, but I dont hve one of those so I can't say anything about them. A GTECH PRO I do have hehe so I talk abou those, unbiasly of course :p. As for what most of you have already said, yes it dead-on accurate for 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but to be quite honest the horsepower is dead on too.

Let's get some figures straight cause I've noited the same thing. The reason why you dont dyno the same as the GTECH is due to real world conditions! Dynos give you your mostly ideal hp while the GTECH gives you the theoretical. In otherwords, you get what you would get under the condistions by which you are currently driving. Many variables will then thus adjust this (ie wind variance and incline). So get it! It Rox.

M

·
0 Posts
One of the guys here at work has it and it was pretty fun to play around with. I cannot comment on the accuracy however because I was never able to get my 0-60 bellow 6 seconds (my tires are really really shot). Anyways the technology behind it is really accurate. We have some similar devices here at work and the ones we have are highly accurate. The theroy is that you have two plates of silicone that conduct electricty between the two, one of the plates is on a few springs or something so its sort of "floating" and when you accelerate it moves back. The machine then cacluates how fast you are accelarating by how far it moved back. I think the one my friend here has calculates a bunch of other crap that i never got a chance to use like your hp (i dont know how it gets that) and what kind of g's your car can do.

D

·
0 Posts
I would too explain the technical aspects, but I'm as lazy as hell right now adn don't wanna reach for the instructiuon booklet ;).

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys... I dont care about the horsepower feature I was just curious about it... I only really care about the acceleration related measurements, if I wanna know my horsepower ill goto a real dyno, but I figured if it was fairly accurate or could give me a DECENT idea on power that would just be a plus :)

I totally forgot about the blitz unit, I will probably go with that because I am going with the matching boost controller... thanks for reminding me... my friend has a Gtech but I never see him around anymore so I cant borrow it!... good feeback, thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
sure sure pooshy (if you dont mind me callingyou that :p), but I was wondering what type of blitz controller this is. I might have a GTECH, but I dont mind expanding my horizons ;).

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've got it. The ET is off by about .15 seconds but it's pretty consistant. The MPH is high because it gives true MHP. The track averages your speed at the end. Haven't got the horsepower to work yet. Problem with it is you need to keep inputting the weight of the car. PIA. The biggest problem is finding a road where you can go out and do 1/4 runs without getting locked up or causing a ruckus with traffic. I'm at almost 120 mph at the end of the quarter. Otherwise it works pretty good. I went to the track with it and did a bunch of runs until I got a good average of how much it's off.

A

·
0 Posts
One of my buddies just bought the blitz power meter, and it was only around $239. Easy install, and you have cool dyno charts to look at that are continuous read. IMHO, worth the extra $100 over the GTECH.

Anyone in the Atlanta area own either?

·
Old Member
167 Posts
Hey Pooshda!

I have a GTech Pro, and can confirm the feedback from Supra400hptt, ON 3 GO, and several others. It's a lot of fun to play with, but the BHP (rear wheels) figure is a PIA and the results are questionable. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile features are very easy to use and highly accurate.

I took the opportunity at the Mid-Michigan Motorplex in Stanton a few weeks ago when I was playing with the FBody boys to calibrate the GTech Pro results -> 1/4 mile time was accurate to within 0.09 sec with the GTech actually SLOWER than the track result. The GTech 1/4 mile speed was 117mph versus the track result of 113mph. However this difference in speed was expected and is explainable since the track's 1/4 mile speed is based on an average over the last X feet whereas the GTech's is a calculated velocity EXACTLY at the 1/4 mile distance.

I've recorded 0-60 times of 5.0 seconds with the GTech, but should (theoretically) be lower at BPU. However if you look at the pathetic 60' times I posted at the track, maybe it's right afterall! At $130, I would recommend the GTech highly. One of the great advantages of the unit is that it allows you to benchmark your car so that you can quantatively evaluate your mods. It is also very portable so that you can test and compare as many cars as you want - yours or your friends. It's really great if you have someone who has more talk than action about how fast their car is - just whip this baby out and say "prove it".

The only thing about the GTech Pro that pisses me off is... as an engineer, I wish I would have thought of it! IMO a perfect application of physics to a real world situation.

Jim
97TT BPU

P.S. How are those new turbos workin???

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies... Gtech sounds like it works very well.. I may go with the Blitz unit though, simply because I wanted the matching boost controller and I completely forgot what the purpose of the other unit was, so I wasnt sure if I needed it.. but since its basically a gtech with more features (if someone can confirm its accuracy) Id probably go with that... Still could get a Gtech though, I dont know.

Btw, the turbos are working great, thanks for asking.

A

·
0 Posts
From what I've heard from my buddy, the power meter is extremely accurate with the G-tech features, but the dyno runs will be from the crank, so not exactly as great as a RWHP number, but hey... at least you don't have to pay everytime you want a dyno run! And, I'm sure that the dyno numbers from the power meter would be a little more accurate than the "projected" dyno number from the G-tech. The power meter actually takes data from your vehicle, so one would have to assume that it has more info to calculate the dyno numbers with...

·
Banned
945 Posts
achilles99 said:
From what I've heard from my buddy, the power meter is extremely accurate with the G-tech features, but the dyno runs will be from the crank, so not exactly as great as a RWHP number, but hey
Not true... The Power iD gives RWHP, but also has a "drive train loss pct" so you can set it up to ALSO give BHP. Very cool.

The biggest problem with the Power iD is that the wheels cannot slip. If they do, the whole reading is off unless you connect the unit to one of the front tire's ABS signals, which I am considering.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Dennis, does the Power ID give a higher than actual trap speed like the Gtech Pro? I used a Gtech in my 93 Z28 for awhile, ETs were dead on but trap speed was high due to it measuring at the 1320 mark instead of taking the average over the last (60?) feet. It would be neat of it used a used a correction factor based on rate of acceleration and/or averaged it out like the drag strip.

A

·
0 Posts
Thanks for clearing the HP concerns up! The instructions are in Japanese, so I didn't know you could fool with the drivetrain loss pct. I'll have to let my buddy know about that!

Can you email me the process to program it as such?

G

·
0 Posts
I have the old type and new type

I have the G-tech Pro Competition meter as well as the old type unit. They both work great. Many people have taken units of the type down drag strips to find they are right on the money for ET and usually a couple MPH high for speed at the end of the 1/4. The reason for speed variation is because the G-tech gives actual speed at the end of the 1/4 and the strip uses two beams positioned apart at the end of the strip to average your speed in the last few feet.

The new G-tech Pro Competition rocks over the old type unit simply because it does a whole lot more and comes with computer software to display your runs, and all the other comparative data right on the computer screen. Not only does it do this, but the unit stores runs from up to 4 different cars right in the unit. Once downloaded into the computer this means you can display multiple car comparative data on your computer. The new G-tech Pro Competition is also self leveling.

Here's the acceleration data for my friends 2003 Porsche 911tt X50 and my Mazda 1993 Rx-7. (note, the Rx-7 boost was higher than shown in the vehicle name, the vehicle name is manually entered and can read anything) Both cars were tested in the same location on a level surface.

Speed data 2003 911tt X50 stock vs. 1993 Rx-7 with mods

1 - 20 of 22 Posts