Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying an MK2 P-Type 5spd to be my DD while I rip my MK3 apart for an engine/tranny swap. What kind of things should I look for? What major problems does this car have, if any? I've heard of the whole Rust thing, anything else though? Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
You will not want your MK3 if you get a nice MK2, you'll be ruined......
LOL
B

Rust likes
Rear hatch, sunroof, directly above the rear tires and the bottoms of rear quarters.
The diff's whine but usually last a long time....
Get a nice one and keep her in good condition.
B

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brian g said:
You will not want your MK3 if you get a nice MK2, you'll be ruined......
LOL
B

Rust likes
Rear hatch, sunroof, directly above the rear tires and the bottoms of rear quarters.
The diff's whine but usually last a long time....
Get a nice one and keep her in good condition.
B
The MK3 is my learner Project, I might do something more outlandish with the MK2, but for now it would make an excellent DD. Thanks a ton for the advice on where to look for rust, and I'll be sure to check for leaks.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,757 Posts
Rust in the chassis/unibody... make sure to check out the lower control arms and radiator support, more common rust prone areas that may make the car structurally unsafe.

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tanya said:
Rust in the chassis/unibody... make sure to check out the lower control arms and radiator support, more common rust prone areas that may make the car structurally unsafe.
Thank you

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
Seeing that your in Cali you should be able to find a good rust free mkii.

Jump on over to the dark side and ditch that piggy :) :bigthumb:

G

·
Tanya said:
:bigthumb:
Hahahah amazing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love Mk2's... My friend is trying to talk me into a Mk3 Turbo but...

Meh the mk2 (stock) isn't much slower then a mk3 turbo (stock) and the insurance is a hell of a lot less ;D

Not to mention cheaper on gas too ... and LOOKS SO DAMN SEXY!

You'll fall in love with mk2's im sure... excellent choice.

Look out for bad paint jobs, if you think the hatch is in good condition, check again its probably not lol...
Make sure there is no moisture in the carpet... hmmm and check the exhaust when you start it up :gaysex:

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has absolutely nothing to do with MK2 or MK3, this MK3 is my first car, this car has taught me everything I know about cars, this car is the REASON I want to pursure a career in the Automotive Industry. I at least owe her a nice Engine that doesnt smoke and a transmission that is from the correct year. And besides, there are more resources for me here for MK3's than there are MK4's or MK2's. I know 11 people in this city alone who own MK3's. I know 1 MK4 Owner, and hes one of my Best Supra Buds, we're swapping in a JDM 2JZGTE Into his 94 NA. And I have only seen ONE MK2 in This city. Alos, I don't know how to drive stick, so I'd like to learn on a nicer tranny like the W58, before I try ripping it up with a Beefy R154. I'm just doing what's best for my future. Thank you for all your input, I can't wait to own both! :bigthumb:

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tanya said:
Don't worry about the playful mkII/mkIII ribbing, we're all related here :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts