Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the value for MR2 Turbo?
My neighbor is selling his flawless 94 MR2 with less than 50K miles. It's clean.
How's the value hold on this car? Please advise!

Thank's!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The 94s command a high market price, but will hold value because of the rare factor. You can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
they can take alot more than the average driver can push them. in 93 they changed the rear susp. geometry to ruduce "snap" oversteer. in other words they made the car understeer for the safety of sub par and even average drivers. the 94s are rare so be ready to pay a pretty penny for one.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
How do they handle on the course , autox?
I haven't tracked my MR2 yet, but will soon.

The MR2 handles wonderfully, and will do very well on the autox. The car is the most responsive car I have driven (though the steering could use some work, ratio is suboptimal). The car is very forgiving through hard turns, though I feel that my front end gives a little early if I turn too rapidly without shifting some weight to the front (braking). Oversteer on the 93+s aren't so bad, and they sure as hell don't suffer from the snap oversteer from the 91-92.

The 93+ shifter is greater, feels like a shorthrow.

3s-gte, solid motor, you can easily get 300hp out of it, and you don't need much more. You really don't want too much power on the car, it isn't really a drag car.

The turbo brakes are awesome on the 93+, one of the best OEM sets out there.

What else, the strongest thing about the car is the handling advantage (though some say the MK1 and the MK3 handle better).

Problem areas: e-brake gets stuck, especially in the cold. Intercooler upgrading can be a bitch. The cooling system is a PITA (front radiator, rear engine). Intercooler upgrades are more limited. Low end/torque sucks. The ride quality is garbage, every bump jolts through you (though this could be because I have sportline springs). The car is unstable at high speeds, but that is expected-remember, you are buying a sports car, not a GT. The supra was much smoother at 120-130mph, the MR2 is not stable at all.
The worst thing: girls will complement the car by calling it cute/adorable/sweet.

There are some great upgrades out there, and you can easily throw in a turbo jdm gen 3 clip for about 5k. Gen 2s go for about 2.5k, main difference being the gen 3 already comes with a better turbo (245hp stock).

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 94 rode pretty good when it was stock. Definitely not the softest or smoothest ride out there but far from intolerable. I got mine back in '02 for $8700 w/ 74k miles. They can get pretty steep in price, especially ones in good condition and low miles.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will ask him how much he wanted to sell. Last time I heard it's less than 10K for sure. Will let you know!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I owned a 92 and loved it. Great all around car. The motor can get tricky at times to work on but very fun car none the less.

Mine sold for $12,000 with 101,000miles. Stock internals with upgraded turbo kit and supporting mods. Car looked one day old to say the least of the condition it was in.

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
The 94s command a high market price, but will hold value because of the rare factor. You can't go wrong with them.
What he said. Clean 95's will be priced high also. If your neighbors car is truely a clean, original 94 turbo with under 50K miles and you can buy it for under 10K then I suggest you buy it asafp.

Theres a super clean low mileage 94 turbo in the other cars for sale section. :D

·
Nautical Blue MR2T
1,520 Posts
Oversteer on the 93+s aren't so bad, and they sure as hell don't suffer from the snap oversteer from the 91-92.
"Snap" oversteer was a myth created so truely inexperienced drivers could blame the car rather than their skill for mishaps. It is purely driver error from now knowing how to handle the car. The same thing that makes it more prone to letting go also makes it handle better when driven right.

The turbo brakes are awesome on the 93+, one of the best OEM sets out there.
Yup. Brad Bedell stopped in 99 feet in the USSC (or whatever its abbreviation is supposed to be) with them. Still, the 91s are plenty for almost anyone. They tend to fade faster though, so the 93s are better for track use AFAIk.

What else, the strongest thing about the car is the handling advantage (though some say the MK1 and the MK3 handle better).
The MKI is more nimble, but only can arguably perform better than the MKII. The MKIII would destroy either in anything with turns except where long straits lie between (talking about stock or BPU cars... it doesnt take much power to make an MKIII fast, though).

Problem areas: e-brake gets stuck, especially in the cold.
If the boots are torn and water gets in them it can freeze.

Intercooler upgrading can be a bitch...Intercooler upgrades are more limited.
That is by far the only downfall of the MR2. However, from what Ive experienced and read, doing a custom FMIC in a front-engine car can easily be as much of or a greater PITA than installing a trunk mount or decent A2W in an MR2.

The cooling system is a PITA (front radiator, rear engine).
The huge volume of long distance it must travel make the stock cooling system AMAZING. It is one of the few things that could be left essentially stock on even a 500...600...700rwhp buildup.

Low end/torque sucks.).
Compared to what? My MR2 is leaps and bounds more responsive and torquey than my 2.2L S10. Compared to anything in its class it is just fine.

The ride quality is garbage, every bump jolts through you (though this could be because I have sportline springs).
Don't buy a sports car...? And you can't complain about general ride quality if you have unique aftermarket suspension parts.

The car is unstable at high speeds...
It isnt THAT bad. And it is actually bad because of the soft, high stock suspension Toyota gave it. Lower / stiffer springs and some struts make it easily stable to the 140-150+ speeds most owners ever take it to.

The worst thing: girls will complement the car by calling it cute/adorable/sweet.
Too true... :nono: :hay: :(

If you are looking to mod past a few boltons then I wouldnt get anything that has a rate market value (93 or newer).

·
Administrator
17,264 Posts
Short wheelbase = lack of high speed stability, but wonderful turn-in and sharp handling! An age old trade-off! :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Short wheelbase = lack of high speed stability, but wonderful turn-in and sharp handling! An age old trade-off! :)
exactly. I've had my MR2 and ZTT on the long straightaway's at VIR and the Z felt rock solid at high speeds and the MR2 felt a bit....scary :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sorry to threadjack, but any picks of your Z '94Z32TT? Used to have a non-turbo Black Emerald many years ago and loved it.

Back on topic - Also had 93 non-turbo MR2. What a blast that car was to drive. Can only imagine what the turbos are like. Love the 94-95 tail lights and pedastal style spoiler. Even if it's $10k plus, I'd snap it up.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
A 94 mr2 for 10k? Very hard to find, especially if its on www.mr2oc.com, or www.mr2board.com expect to pay closer to 15-20k, now if its a private sale, then yes 10k is possible. Now due to the fact that there was only a couple hundred turbo mr2's sold in 94, and 95 (going off of my head here) finding one is the hard part. In fact a autotrader search for any 94 and 95 mr2 in the whole country turned up seven cars total. With a 94 turbo with 43000 miles costing 25k. So if u can get a 94 for 10k get it. I have a 93 turbo with only i intake, exhaust (cat-back) and a MBC I ran a 13.5 at 102, with a 1.9 sixty foot. With a stronger clutch, a downpipe better tires and a 1.7 60' i might be able to hit a 12.9, oh and with some more boost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts