Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea since im a family man now i was thinking in getting a 4 door car. I was looking at the lancer evo. anyone dealt with them what there known problem. I was also looking at a lexus is300. Just let me know the experience you had with these cars or any 4 door car that you think will be good for me.

Thanks,

Ponny

8,181 Posts
IS300 is the way to go. you could buy an evo but you wont leave it alone until some sort of mods, that cost money. a family car should be of mods free.

goodluck

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
attie4 said:
IS300 is the way to go. you could buy an evo but you wont leave it alone until some sort of mods, that cost money. a family car should be of mods free.

goodluck
Yea you right knowing me i probably will. That why i probably let the wife drive it. :ugh2:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The IS is very small inside. I had one for a dd for a while. I had the 5sp. No balls at all. When I bought it, TRD was still talking about a warrantied blower for the car. When that didn't happen, I began to see that I didn't want a modded dd. I traded the is for a certified pre-owned GS430. It is a MUCH more comfortable car...especially if the whole family is with me. Plus, i get the regular lexus warranty and treatment at the dealership if something happens.

Bobby

·
'94 Na Slowpra
225 Posts
SupraKhmer96 said:
Yea since im a family man now i was thinking in getting a 4 door car. I was looking at the lancer evo. anyone dealt with them what there known problem. I was also looking at a lexus is300. Just let me know the experience you had with these cars or any 4 door car that you think will be good for me.

Thanks,

Ponny
i have an IS also, its a beautiful and best of all reliable car, there is no way u would be disappointed with it. u can get some good clean used ones for a rediculously cheap price from autotrader or something. the size can be a factor but it depends on how many children u have, u have 1 or 2 its perfect, 3 small children would be kinda snug. the trunk space is about average id say so strollers and carraiges or whatever should be fine. an evo would be a bad choice indeed, for the reasons given before and also, the interior is terrible. the jumps of power would also be annoying for ppl who arent into performance. just my 2 cents :)

·
GM Interior Designer
658 Posts
A stock Evo is fun, solid ride. You'll probably want to immediately set aside some cash for wheels and less sticky tires and save the Advans for the track. They only last about 10-15000 miles.

The inside of the car is quite large compared to compacts and many midsized cars.

If you can't help but do a few mods, ~320whp will cost about $1200 (ecu reflash, MBC, TBE) and cams and you are 350-380+ depending on model year. And you'll still be on stock fuel, stock (flashed) ecu, stock turbo and stock driveability.

·
Registered
154 Posts
SupraKhmer96 said:

Thanks,

Ponny
Well, I have no first hand experience with either car, but I'd imagine that the Evo would be a bit harsh for hauling kids and the wife might bitch after a while?

As for the IS, I've heard nothing wrong with it other than it was kinda small.

Both sound pretty fun though :)

Other 4 door cars to consider...
Mazdaspeed 6
GLI
Impreza WRX Limited
STi Limited
Legacy GT
Accord 6-speed
TL
Audi A3

(if you arent getting a car for a few months or so)
GTI 5-door (if you're okay with hatchbacks)
Civic Si Sedan
Mini Traveler (wagon version)

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head. I can give more reasons I'd suggest these cars if you dont strike any down right away.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was also looking at some gs300. iuno i see wat happen.

·
Registered
822 Posts
i have a Audi S4..2001.5 yah is fun but there s too many lilo electronic issue..not sure about the A3.. i will say EVO is nice..IS is OKAY...i mean u already have a supra ,so lexus will be pretty much the same..( NA form) i will try something diff..here s a pic of the supra i had and my current S4,and i had a TL S fully comptech mod.before that,didnt like it

·
The Guitar Hero
205 Posts
B5 S4 = lots of issues

A3 = overpriced

It's awfully tough to beat the Legacy's if you need AWD. Other than that I would say GS300 or TL.

On a side note, how come Honda/Acura doesn't have a car to compete with the Avalon/LS4xx?

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
You really couldn't go wrong with a used IS....it's really a great blend of dependability and style, while still being practical and fun to drive. An EVO is more fun to drive, but is more of a fast lunchbox in comparison.

It really depends if you are slanted toward the performance end of the 4-door scale, or willing to compromise some speed for some style and comfort.

As others mentioned, the new Subaru Legacy GT's would be an awesome blend of the 2. I really like the GT waggy actually; if I didn't need a 4x4 truck/SUV, that would probably be one of my top choices for a good do-everything vehicle.

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
I love the new Legacy GT's. At my old job my coworker had one with TE37 Volk 18's. Here it is:

I drove it every chance that I got. Definitely an enjoyable car but I do recommend the 5speed version as the auto has VERY laggy shifting.

·
GM Interior Designer
658 Posts
^^^^Hmmm yeah. That's a sharp looking car^^^^

Actually I think that might be a better choice then the Evo or the IS.
It actually has some balls unlike the IS. And it won't be too rough a ride unlike the Evo which I'm sure your family will appreciate.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That a prety sweet ride! What the retail on one of those? lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That TL looks good. What you guys think about the TSX. There so many option i guess its depend on the price for me.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
If you want an amazingly comfortable family car that is, in its own way, just about as awesome a car as the Supra, go all the way and get the big Lexus. I guarantee you'll love it and become so spoiled that you wonder why everything else has to be so crude. :D

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
SupraKhmer96 said:
That a prety sweet ride! What the retail on one of those? lol
Back in the summer of '05, he paid $26k-ish for his, brand new, when it was stickered for $30k.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Going against the grain here.
But why not get an older model GS300 over the IS? It's a much more contemporary design, and a great car. The IS screams; "I just got my drivers permit" to me. I don't think anyone here can/has been a help because you haven't listed a price point. Without that there's just going to be random brand humping by people who have their own likes/dislikes. That's not any real help. I'll assume you have $25k to spend or so since you want an Evo but didn't list the newer IS250 and instead put up the IS300. For that kind of money you can go with a used large car two generations old, a midsize car one generation old, or a small car thats probably still in production. Here's some suggestions of what I would look for;
M35/45
330ci
E55
M5
C32
LS 4.2/S-Type
300C, etc
It all depends on the demographic of the person responding rather than on what you want. Some more specifics would help.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts