Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ex MKIV Owner
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/71559072.html

That looks like it is in good condition and I could probably get it for as little as $400. The car has no rust and has rodknock.

I keep being told mk3 is not a race-car its a GT built for comfort and speed. However, I don't think that is 100% true, and with enough time it could be a prime canidate for both impressive ET's and impressive looks and handling.

I guess I'm wondering if I should go with 1jz or 2jz. That car is an NA so I would insure it as such, any problems there? That would be a lot cheaper than a chevelle or cutlass which I was looking at earlier. My budget would initially be $6000. $5,600 after I buy the car, that leaves a good ammount for a swap.

So, how difficult is each swap overall and in comparison to eachother?
What are the pros and cons of going 1jz?
Pros/Cons 2jz?

Overall price, with everything you need, will it even be THAT much different between the 2?

Thanks a lot, I really would like to get into supra community by finally becoming an owner, but I don't want to be dissapointed with the car I end up with. I've been obsessing over these cars for over a year and now I finally have the money to go through with it.

Thanks for any well-thought responses.

Joe

P.S. random question... when removing the crash bars in mk3, how dangerous is it if you get in an accident and how much weight do you save? Would installing a roll-cage make it just as safe or safer than before? Thanks.

Edit - I meant to put this up in the swap section, very sorry mods.

·
2,275 Posts
it looks good from pictures but what does the interior look like? you half to look at it your self before you can judge!

·
Ex MKIV Owner
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XFFE said:
very top of this section 1jz/2jz section check it out.
I coulda sworn I was posting in that section when I made this post.

I'm more interested in my other questions, and interior doesn't matter that much to me as I'd rip it almost all out anyways. Just wondering if NA's are fine for a swap, if there is anything aside from the engine that is different that would make it more expensive/difficult to do a proper 2jz-gte swap.

D
0 Posts
silverinferno84 said:
it looks good from pictures but what does the interior look like? you half to look at it your self before you can judge!
agreed, you want to make sure the frame is straight, interior is decent, the interior wiring is not all f'ed up etc.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Joe89 said:
I keep being told mk3 is not a race-car its a GT built for comfort and speed. However, I don't think that is 100% true, and with enough time it could be a prime canidate for both impressive ET's and impressive looks and handling.

P.S. random question... when removing the crash bars in mk3, how dangerous is it if you get in an accident and how much weight do you save? Would installing a roll-cage make it just as safe or safer than before? Thanks.
If you keep being told it by people like me, and others, then were probibly right, expecialy since I have owned 2 supra's and other members have owned even more. We KNOW what were talking about we drive our car's every day.

And removing a crash bar is a pretty stupid thing to do. lets see.........save like 100 pounds or save your life... I dont know about YOU but Im going to chose to live.

·
Ex MKIV Owner
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ckanderson said:
If you keep being told it by people like me, and others, then were probibly right, expecialy since I have owned 2 supra's and other members have owned even more. We KNOW what were talking about we drive our car's every day.

And removing a crash bar is a pretty stupid thing to do. lets see.........save like 100 pounds or save your life... I dont know about YOU but Im going to chose to live.

CKanderson, I in no way meant that as an attack. I'm positive you know a whole lot more about supras than I do, I'm just saying I'm looking for something more than just a 'quick touring' car, and I'm sure the supra can handle. Slow66 is a member here and he built a very quick drag mk3. He didn't use a 2jz, so with a 2jz the sky's the limit.

And about the crash bar... That is the reason I asked. I didn't know HOW big of a difference it would make, especially if you were going to have a roll cage installed as well...I think that may be even safer.

I'd really want my basic questions answered, I've searched around the forum but its very hard to get an answer that is exactly what I'm looking for. If you are knowledgeable of the subject matter it would seem relatively easy to type out a 5 minute post that would just give me an idea if this project was within my scope of ability and fit my budget.

Thanks again,
Joe

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
If you want a drag car.. the Supra will work. Slow66 is far from the norm though... his car is amazing.. if you want a track car the Supra CAN do this.. but a better choice would be a mr2.

Although the supra can handle drag or track or whatever. it's place is a ultra fast daily driver that is a comfortible ride. Thats what most of us use ours for. I will be buing a daily driver soon, and my supra will become a weekend car.. but I still wouldent sacrifice my safety or interior to gain 2 tenths in the quarter.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts