Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· THE Computer DR.
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've got a smoking problem (not cigarettes). I get a puff of smoke when I take off from a stop light and that's the only time. I had the valse stem seals replaced maybe six months ago and figured that would resolve my problem. It did resolve my startup smoking problem, but that's it.

Just got my car back the other day from Sound Performance in chicago. They were originally going to pull the head and have it redone (due to a bad leak down test I did with a friend), but they redid the compression and leak down tests and they said the head/valves were fine. So while it was there I brought a newer set of stock twins (mine had like 160k on them) so I figured that's probably where the smoke was coming from. They replaced just the turbos (not the piping or manifolds) and a few worn vacuum hoses. Still smokes. In fact it seems to smoke a little worse, but only when I take off from a stop light or tap the throtlle after it idles for a minute.

Please tell me if you have any ideas why my car could be smoking, it's very annoying and honestly kind of embarrasing.

Thanks.

· THE Computer DR.
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it the smoke is white?
Blueish white.

I had a master tech from toyota do the valve stem seals. I used to get a pretty good puff of smoke on startup, but I get absolutely nothing now.

Also, it seems like it takes a couple minutes before the car will smoke with a throttle tap, almost like something needs to heat up before it will create smoke.

· Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Sounds like your valve stem seals.
I agree. I'm not saying the master tech didn't do a good job, but sometimes things go wrong.

I've done valve stem seals on 3 cars and on one occasion, after I removed the seal, a tiny piece of rubber was left on the valve stem from the old seal. If I hadn't been careful enough to notice it, the new seals wouldn't have done any good.

Hopefully that's not the case for you and you find that something else is causing the smoke...

What oil are you running?

· Registered
178 Posts
I had a seal on a turbo go bad and did a similar thing. Also I had a cracked ringland on a piston cause a similar issue, but that showed up on a leakdown.

Have you checked your PCV valve, if it isn't working correctly sometimes that can give a puff of smoke too.

I would lean towards valve stem seals or turbo seal, also check your IC pipes, and IC for excessive oil build up. Even though you may have fixed the leak you could be getting it from the oil in the pipes (long shot but a possibility). Hope you find the issue. I know stuff like that drives me nuts.

· THE Computer DR.
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I helped the guy change the vss's and we were pretty carefull to make sure there wasn't any crap left from the old ones. Not saying we maybe didn't miss something, but I'd think the car would smoke on startup if that was the case.

I also doubt I've got two bad turbos doing the same thing.

I replaced the pcv valve not long ago, not to say it couldn't have been a defective one I guess.

· Registered
1,899 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing... Its annoying because everyone says its valve stem seals just did mine less the 3k ago. So it's not. I just gave up and said screw it, I'm planning to go single this winter but if that doesn't fix it I'm going to be pissed. Take it back to SP tell them to fix it.

· stop playin wit mah name
2022 Alpina XB7, 2022 F150
3,801 Posts
It sounds like your valve stem seals. Even though a master tech did it, mistakes happen and there might have been installer error. Like LexusFTW stated, your mechanic probably didn't remove the old seal material, or he might have seated some the new seals wrong. I'm almost certain of this and I might have overlooked that too if I didn't come on here first and read up on how to do it properly.

· THE Computer DR.
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess my biggest thing is that if it were the valve stem seals, I would think it would also smoke on startup. Maybe I'm wrong, that's what I was hoping maybe someone could explain to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.