Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on running 1/0 gauge power wire for my supra. I am running a 1500 watt system so i figured 4 gauge wouldnt be sufficent. What is the best way to route this wire. As you know this is some thick wire. And is there any garments already in the car that can take this thick of wire, or will i hve to drill a hole in my firewall

·
651 Posts
I have a system that has similar power and I have ran 2 gauge to a distribution block and then to my two amplifiers.

Running power wire of that girth is best done by going though the yellow airbag grommet that is on the drivers side of the car. (Kinda tricky to see but look for a yellow wrapped grommet) You will have to use a "fish" tool to get the wire though but it is by far the best location IMO. You will also have to slice the grommet in order to get it though. After you are done running the wire through, put some 3M black sealant putty to keep it water tight. (This isn't as important because the location of the grommet doesn't see much moisture)

Any more questions on this you can post here or just give me a call.

Thomas Kenyon
210-340-4000

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I second that.. I have 2ga going through that yellow grommet too, if I'm thinking of the same one. It's right above the left foot of the driver, to the left of the clutch pedal. It's pretty tough to fish through. I had some solid copper wire I pushed through the grommet. I snagged it with a coat hanger through the opening to the fender where the door opens. Then Ifished a wire through the inner fender, all the way to the same opening at the front of the door. I tied the wires toghether, and wrapped the end around, and electrical taped the wire to the 2ga, and then sprayed it with wd40 to make it slide through the grommet easier. Worked pretty good. Just be patient trying to do the fishing :) Your other option is taking the wheel, and inner fender off for easier access.

[ March 20, 2001: Message edited by: mkivsupra ]

·
651 Posts
Naw, that tire removal and fender removal is gonna involve too much time.

A job is as easy as the tools used.

Go to home depot and buy a fish tool for 10 bucks. You'll use it more than you think and it'll make the actual time needed to get that wire through the yellow grommet down to seconds. I have 2 gauge ran and it was done effortly.

Tom Kenyon

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
I am planning on running my 1/0 gauges under the car (covered with a plastic loom) and then run it back into the cabin via a grommet in the floor (there are many)

my yellow grommet is very crowded already with boost hose, EGT, fog light controls....and oil and water sensors coming

Ting

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will 1/0 gauge wire fit through that yellow garment?

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
Originally posted by Tom:
Will 1/0 gauge wire fit through that yellow garment?
I dunno, highly doubtful, especially if your running other gauges like boost, egt, oil pressure etc like me.

Ting

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thomas, the main reasoning for choosing 1/0 gauge over 2 is that it seems like you can find distribution and anl inline fuse holder better. Is 1/0 gauge possable for the yellow garment

·
651 Posts
Yea, once you see the yellow grommet we are refering to, you'll see that it's possible.

0 gauge or 2 gauge will connect to an ANL fuseholder with equal ease. I use the Rockford ANL holder and with the right ends on your wire, will connect equally as easy.

How much power you running anyway? I'm at about 1500 watts RMS and 2 gauge is more than sufficient.

Tell me a bit about your system too, if ya could.

Thomas Kenyon

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well my system will consist of
A/D/S p 4100 ( 4x100) running a some focal 165w which will be bi-amped. I will also be using a zapco studio 500 which will run 1000x1 to 2 diamond audio macdaddys. My head unit is a double din pioneer. I will keep it for now but later i will be upgradeing my head unit as-well as getting a audiocontrol EQ

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
bringing back the dead............

what 10 dollar fish tape is the guy talking about? all i can find is the big 1/2inch wide real fish tape.... is there a smaller one i can find somewhere to make it easier?

im having a bitch of time fishing with a coat hanger bymyself, is there any other easy spot on the drivers side that 1 PERSON can do? its starting to piss me off :dunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts