Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1997 stock stereo and amplifier for my used 1993.5 Supra. Turns out the previous owner must of had a non stock stereo and amplifier (but decided to remove it before he sold it to me!), anyway, my problem is I see only 2 connectors under my passanger seat that would fit perfectly in the new stock amplifier. BUT! the amplifier has a third white connector left , and I cannot find a third connector(harness) under the seat. Is there something I'm not seeing?. My other problem is I saw a small looking amplifier behind my old stock stereo that is connected directly to my old stock stereo. Will I need to use this old amp again?,. can I connect the new stereo without using the old amplifier?. Please help me!!! :)

·
805 Posts
Isnt that white wire on amp kits the relay wire from the head to the amp, so that trhe amp turns on when the car turns on????

·
651 Posts
Well Mr. Elejes, I really don't have too much experience installing the factory amplifiers in Supras. I have great experience removing the stuff and replacing it with other amplifiers SO.... I would like to actually see the stuff and I will probablly be able to help you.

If I had to guess, I would think that the third connector loops back to the headunit and is used to energize the relay for the antenna. I'm sorry I'm not much help on this but I really haven't installed factory stuff into a Supra. Just taken it out.

Nevertheless, bring it by and I'll help you out.

The other "amplifier" that is behind the radio isn't an amp after all. It is the relay's that tell the antenna motor to go up and down when the tuner is turned on.

At least that's the part I think you are refering to.

Bring it by and I'll help ya out.

I'm here til 7 or 8 just about everyday except on Sundays and Mondays.

Tom Kenyon
210-340-4000

·
651 Posts
Oh yea, I forgot....

You will not be able to install the factory radio without the amplifier.

The radio is a totally passive and has to have an external amplifier to work. You would not have to use the factory amp but, would have to have an amp of some sort powering the speakers.

Sorry for the long delay in reponding here.. Just kinda busy this time o' the year!

Thomas Kenyon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts